Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

Roadmap 2
Alrighty! I like roadmaps and I hope you do to! I'm on spring break so here's hoping I can pump all of these out over the week!

Over the next few months I'll fill out congressional elections from previous chapters. Won't be anything huge just lore filling.

Here is the roadmap up to 1888

Chapter on the Bourbons and Freedmen (Tomorrow)

Chapter on the early Sheridan Presidency and Sequoyah entry (Tomorrow or day after)

Chapter on the Titans of Industry and oil in Lincoln (Early week)

1886 midterms and Indian Wars (Early Week)

Chapter on the rest of the Sheridan term (Later week)

Vingettes (Later week)

1888 Conventions (Later week or weekend)

1888 Election (Weekend)

View attachment 896798
View attachment 896799

-
The House Bourbons have no leader they are a disorganized bloc. Of the two others one is an independent and one is a freedmen.

In the senate two republicans were elected from Lincoln the state endorsed the local Republican candidates hoping to hurt the liberals.
If you don't mind me asking, why on earth is Pendleton a leader of the Bourbons? IOTL, he was an ardent Copperhead and a consistent Northern advocate for Southern interests within the Democrat Party?

Apart from that, I'm really enjoying the work so far. This is probably one of the most detailed, most realistic takes on a semi-successful reconstruction that I have seen on this site. Keep up the good work!

If you don't mind me asking, why on earth is Pendleton a leader of the Bourbons? IOTL, he was an ardent Copperhead and a consistent Northern advocate for Southern interests within the Democrat Party?

Apart from that, I'm really enjoying the work so far. This is probably one of the most detailed, most realistic takes on a semi-successful reconstruction that I have seen on this site. Keep up the good work!
No thanks for asking! I actually plan on addressing it next chapter. Pendleton himself voted for Hampton in 1884, generally he stayed out of the whole Little Mac party split.

OTL George grew more estranged with the southern wing of the party later in his career and his brand of midwestern Jacksonian democracy definitely wasn’t “east coast” Bourbonism, but also definitely wasn’t redeemer stuff.

ITL Pendleton after losing the Vice Presidency a second time in a row doesn’t go to Kentucky like OTL, he stays in Ohio and practices law staying out of politics. He does this until the failed Seward presidency, hoping back onto the democratic scene in the house. But as you know ITL the redeemer democrats are even louder and more violent than OTL. Pendleton and his gang of midwestern Dems like Hendricks sorta distance themselves from that wing and continue drifting towards civil service reform allying more with Liberal Senators by the early 1880s,

ITL the redeemers are either apathetic or dickishly opposed to civil service reform. By the 1884 election Pendleton is more with McClellan and company wishing to just bury the southern problem and move on without any federal intervention, but he too is annoyed by the jingo attitude of his southern colleagues. Pendleton ends up staying neutral during the party split and after a nasty campaign when it comes time for the senate to pick caucus chairs both the Bourbons pick George after a nebulous vote he wasn’t even really aware of.

The democrats went for a southern senator and the democratic caucus had already started shunning apathetic northerners like Pendleton and co.

TDLR; a mix of divergences, (a lack of his knowledge), tangled senate alliances and a pretty radically shifted Democratic Party (post split) left George on the outs with the Democrats but still respected and uncontroversial among the Bourbons.

Again next chapter I’ll go over all of this more (The Bourbons are about to explode and disband so there is gonna be a major party shift as some choose to not return to a party they feel has left it’s original values. After all I doubt old Hickory would be a fan of the redeemer caucus) plus obviously Sheridan coming into DC is gonna further inflame north-south tensions as he plans to reignite the Louisianan affair.

Thanks for the kind words! Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:
Sorry for the yapping response, but I do have quite the bio on all the guys I mention outright. Like to keep it organized if I ever write about them. I might start posting bios for ITL versions of these men when they all start dying.

You know what I’ve convinced myself, I’ll start posting my bios. Later today when I give you the next update I’ll also post a Lafayette Foster bio!

No thanks for asking! I actually plan on addressing it next chapter. Pendleton himself voted for Hampton in 1884, generally he stayed out of the whole Little Mac party split.

OTL George grew more estranged with the southern wing of the party later in his career and his brand of midwestern Jacksonian democracy definitely wasn’t “east coast” Bourbonism, but also definitely wasn’t redeemer stuff.

ITL Pendleton after losing the Vice Presidency a second time in a row doesn’t go to Kentucky like OTL, he stays in Ohio and practices law staying out of politics. He does this until the failed Seward presidency, hoping back onto the democratic scene in the house. But as you know ITL the redeemer democrats are even louder and more violent than OTL. Pendleton and his gang of midwestern Dems like Hendricks sorta distance themselves from that wing and continue drifting towards civil service reform allying more with Liberal Senators by the early 1880s,

ITL the redeemers are either apathetic or dickishly opposed to civil service reform. By the 1884 election Pendleton is more with McClellan and company wishing to just bury the southern problem and move on without any federal intervention, but he too is annoyed by the jingo attitude of his southern colleagues. Pendleton ends up staying neutral during the party split and after a nasty campaign when it comes time for the senate to pick caucus chairs both the Bourbons pick George after a nebulous vote he wasn’t even really aware of.

The democrats went for a southern senator and the democratic caucus had already started shunning apathetic northerners like Pendleton and co.

TDLR; a mix of divergences, (a lack of his knowledge), tangled senate alliances and a pretty radically shifted Democratic Party (post split) left George on the outs with the Democrats but still respected and uncontroversial among the Bourbons.

Again next chapter I’ll go over all of this more (The Bourbons are about to explode and disband so there is gonna be a major party shift as some choose to not return to a party they feel has left it’s original values. After all I doubt old Hickory would be a fan of the redeemer caucus) plus obviously Sheridan coming into DC is gonna further inflame north-south tensions as he plans to reignite the Louisianan affair.

Thanks for the kind words! Hope this makes sense!
Ah, ok, that makes sense. Thank you very much. Am eagerly looking forward to the next chapter.

Teaser
Screenshot 2024-03-26 230622.png

NEXT CHAPTER IN AN HOUR!

Chapter 21: Sheridan Solemnly Swore
The Sheridan Cabinet
Vice PresidentJohn Quincy Adams II Liberal
Secretary of StateRobert Todd Lincoln
Secretary of WarRedfield Proctor
Secretary of the TreasuryLouis Andrieux (Until 1885), Levi P. Morton Liberal
Attorney GeneralBenjamin Brewster Liberal
Secretary of the NavyHoratio Bridge
Secretary of the InteriorBoston Custer
Postmaster GeneralJames Garfeild

I Philip Sheridan do Solemnly Swear...

"Once again a Republican had returned to the White House and 'Fighting Phil' meant business. In his inauguration speech he spoke of 'Three Americas', there was the Civilized (the north), the Uncivilized (the west), and the Vile (the failed reconstruction states.) Sheridan said that he planned to unify these three. He promised to bring order and nothing less both the west and south. He violently called out Governor Nichols of Louisiana and swore that with god as his witness, his crimes would not be forgotten.

Sheridan was formerly one of the most influential figures of the Grant reconstruction, he was the Military Governor of Texas and Louisiana and now felt that he had a chance to rectify his failure from decades prior. The inflaming language of his speech caused much nervous shuffling among the Liberals on the capitol steps. First and foremost was Vice President John Quincy Adams II. Adams and the Liberals hoped that they could rectify the Louisianian Affair, yet were generally scared of how far Sheridan was willing to go. 'Fighting Phil' was old, he had skeletons and these unresolved problems haunted the man. Everyone knew of his hope to crucify Nichols..."

-from Never Again,
by Joseph Gleason, published 1921

"Resign and let Secretary Andrieux take his rightful place as governor, or I'll make what Sherman boys did look like a child's game."
-Supposedly what the President said to a Louisianian envoy in April of 1885

"Day one in office and Sheridan offered an ultimatum to Governor Nichols, resign in 140 days, or else. Simple enough. The Democrats cried outrage almost instantly. Nichols sued the federal government within hours of the ultimatum's release to the papers. He said that considering he had already resigned under Hancock Administration and followed all his orders, Sheridan had no basis to order his second resignation. Further than that he argued that the President had no right ordering Governors resignations in the first place.

The Supreme Court fast tracked the case. It was a forgone conclusion really, Hancock had gotten one justice on there but the bench was stacked with Republicans, radical ones at that. In a 8-1 decision the court sided with the Fed. They argued that if the President does give such a dramatic order, then the court should review the evidence. It was the opinion of the court that the President had more than enough evidence to consider the takeover of Louisiana illegal, both through the initial election and the following sham special election.

Governor Nichols expected this, he wasn't oblivious to the state of the court. Instead he decided to wait out the clock, force Sheridan's hand, there was no way that he would breach the sovereignty of Louisiana. Nichols sent envoys to DC hoping to negotiate. Under pressure from Adams and the Liberals, Sheridan agreed to meet with them. 'Fighting Phil' would play hardball though. By late April these talks had entirely died out, Sheridan banishing the envoys back to Baton Rouge. As the deadline approached it became apparent. Nichols wouldn't step down, he would test Sheridan's resolve.

Democratic lawmakers flooded the White House with letters begging the President to stand down, some even threatening him. When the date finally arrived in June, the Justice Department and Equity Department under the direction of the Liberal Attorney General, Ben Brewster subpoenaed Governor Nichols for treason against the United States. Obviously this was a huge shock. Democrats cried tyranny, Liberals waited for some sort of response from Baton Rouge. Nichols ignored the subpoena outright. Not only that, but he refused to talk about the document. Stating that he would not acknowledge the words of a tyrannical yankee. It was at this point that the Liberals voiced open support for Nichols' arrest, frankly outraged by such a blatant show of disrespect to the Federal Government.

Sheridan was absolutely furious. He quickly secured a court order and arrest warrant. He then sent Federal Marshals from DC to Little Rock. There they stayed with the Liberal Arkansas Governor, and were granted passage to the Louisianian border by a contingent of Arkansas and Tennessee Guardsmen. After crossing the border into the state they were abruptly stopped by a contingent of the Louisiana National Guard, refusing to let them pass the small town of Springhill. Along with the Louisiana Guardsmen were small groups of Mississippian and South Carolinian Guardsmen. The day following the Marshal's halt at Springhill, a combined letter by the Governors of Mississippi, South Carolina, Georgia and North Carolina was sent to congress. They assured the public they wished for no conflict but would do anything to stop the Sheridan overreach.

The President upon learning of the standoff at Springhill jumped from bed and ran to his office, he issued an order federalizing the National Guard of Louisiana, South Carolina and Mississippi and ordering them to stand aside. The next day word reached the papers that they guardsmen would refuse Federlization...

All out chaos broke out in congress and on the streets. Sheridan invoked the insurrection act and ordered more guardsmen from Arkansas, Tennessee and Alabama to surround Springhill, then ordered more Marshalls to the area. For a week all hell broke loose, fights in the streets, mixed loyalties and congressional chaos. With no end to the standoff in sight something had to be done! On July 1st 1885, more destabilizing news came. While one of the Marshalls went across the town to speak with the South Carolina commander he was shot and killed by a Louisianian Guardsmen, unaware of the meeting. Luckily cooler heads prevailed and a total gunfight didn't ensue, but this only further put fuel on the flame.

President Sheridan now ordered that the treasonous guards stand down by July 18th. If they did they would be issued pardons. If they didn't, the superior force of Marshalls and Federal Guardsmen would swarm Springhill. The nation held it's breath on the way to the 18th. That fateful morning, Vice President Adams, Senator Sherman, Attorney General Brewster and other Liberal prominent cornered the President. They ordered him to stand down or give Nichols more time. The Liberals had gotten cold feet, they didn't want a war. Sheridan refused. It's said that Adams then locked the door and told the President that he would not leave the room until he changed his mind. A heated argument began until the door was basically busted open by Secretary Lincoln. All of the men turned to the now broken door as Lincoln exclaimed.

'NICHOLS CAVED! WE HAVE HIM IN IRONS!'

Turns out the night of the 17th the Governor rode to Springhill, ordered his men to stand down and turned himself over to the Marshals. The old general wasn't willing to cause a war. He resigned soon after and asked that Andrieux be inaugurated in Baton Rouge. Sheridan proclaimed victory over Louisiana! True to his word he pardoned all the guardsmen, bar the one that shot the marshal on the 1st. He then rode south and entered Baton Rouge with the returned exile Andrieux.

Perhaps they had won the standoff... but the war for Louisiana had only just begun, Nichols and the guardsmen were about to face the trial of the century, and the Democrats planned nothing but total electoral victory in their swampy state come 1886...

-from A Freedman's History of America
by Guy Young, published 1999

Screenshot 2024-03-26 234643.png

"The standoff at Springhill was the nail in the coffin for the collapsing Bourbons. Ever since the death of President McClellan the leaderless Bourbon faction was ripping itself apart. They had been born to serve his campaign, without his guiding hand they were a mess. This can be further shown by their congressional caucuses, the House Bourbons were unable to appoint a leader, generally stuck in infighting. In the senate George Pendleton was chosen to lead their small caucus... even though Pendleton wasn't in the Bourbon caucus officially and was unaware of of his election as chair until congress reconvened. Though he reluctantly assumed the title, he wasn't particularly thrilled about it.

As the Louisianian Affair once again consumed the nation as the crisis of the day, the already fractured Bourbons practically exploded. Many were furious at President Sheridan, many others furious at Governor Nichols. This along with their lack of cohesion, borders and leadership would lead to the official dissolving of the Bourbon caucus in the House and Senate by August of 1885.

This should be a footnote in history. However it is who the former Bourbons turned to that makes this footnote, a chapter. While many did return to the Democrats, even more, outright refused to. The growing anger and dissatisfaction seen between the Bourbons and Redeemers was too much for most to overcome, the horrid name calling and now violent coup de teats were strong turn offs for these yankee dems. So they instead turned to the Liberal party, after all they had been trending to the right side of the isle, and they also already held many former Democrats like Vice President Adams! Horace Bois, Thomas Hendricks, Thomas Bayard and most shocking of all George Pendleton all became Liberals after the Bourbon collapse. Some reluctantly or with great sorrow, other without. The theatrics of the south had been turned into a major boon for the Liberal Party...

The Freedmen Party had done well for itself in the Presidential race, but what of the down ballot races? Well obviously in the Lincoln legislature the Freedmen and Republicans scored supermajorities, the Freedmen Party also gained seats in Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas and Virginia. Lincoln's two representatives were both of the Freedmen's Party and quickly caucused with the Republicans, while in the Senate the Party simply endorsed Republican candidates as they were quickly running out of cash by the end of 1884. After such a strong showing though the funds began to flow in as 1886 approached..."

-from The Third Parties
by Han Kalrizzian, published 1988

-
I've decided to push the Sequoyah entry stuff to next chapter seen as I'll be discussing Lincoln there as well. That should be out tomorrow. Hope you all enjoy this chapter!

I have some more meaty stuff to expand on when it comes to the Standoff at Springhill in terms of congress, specific names of the Governors and all those other details that I'll try to hash out tomorrow in a little guide. Feel free to ask about them in the replies though there is lots to chat about!

And so the Democratic Party's last pretenses to not just be the unreconstructed reactionaries end with the "moderates" of the Bourbon Democrats moving to the Liberal Party.

And so the Democratic Party's last pretenses to not just be the unreconstructed reactionaries end with the "moderates" of the Bourbon Democrats moving to the Liberal Party.
Seems so, the Democrats are rapidly becoming a a regional party with all their self destructive southern supremacy moves. It was really a matter of time before the moderates jumped ship.

Ironically the democrats are becoming the populist wing of the Liberal party, most liberals are wealthy New England businessmen.

Seems so, the Democrats are rapidly becoming a a regional party with all their self destructive southern supremacy moves. It was really a matter of time before the moderates jumped ship.

Ironically the democrats are becoming the populist wing of the Liberal party, most liberals are wealthy New England businessmen.
By the Democrats becomig the Liberal Party's Populist wing, I assume you are talking about those who have defected to the Liberals here? And speaking of the South, how has TTL's Reconstruction (with the execution of the Confederate leaders and all that) affected TTL's Lost Cause (or equivalent historiography)?

By the Democrats becomig the Liberal Party's Populist wing, I assume you are talking about those who have defected to the Liberals here? And speaking of the South, how has TTL's Reconstruction (with the execution of the Confederate leaders and all that) affected TTL's Lost Cause (or equivalent historiography)?
Yes, referring to the defecting democrats.

Interesting question! Overall the Lost Cause has significantly less strength. Don’t get me wrong it exists, old Jube Early and nearly all of the old confederate generals weren’t hung so they are still peddling bs, it’s just harder to peddle. The Department fo Equity tries to curb the influence of those writings outside of failed reconstruction states. So the lost cause is really only prevalent in certain parts of Mississippi, the Carolina’s and Louisiana.

Also it isn’t called the lost cause ITTL, no Jeff Davis to coin the term. I’ll come up with something later to replace it.

TTL version of the lost cause is in its infancy though, by the 1890s and 1900s it should take a new form. They just need a Federal Government that is sympathetic or apathetic towards the south.

Great chapter, seems the Governor Nichols had sense and decided to surrender (though at the last minute) before major bloodshed could happen. How will Andrieux do as the reinstated governor of Louisiana? I wouldn't be surprised if he has assistance from nearby states to ensure regular safety and protection against Redeemers.

With the Bourbon Democrats officially fracturing, the Liberals have truly cemented themselves in American politics. The Liberals are a genuine option to voters turned off by the progressive Republicans and fanatic Democrats. Good gains made by the Freedman Party, slow and steady work will win the day for them.

Keep up the good work 👍👍👍

Last edited:
TTL version of the lost cause is in its infancy though, by the 1890s and 1900s it should take a new form.
Lost Cause TTL (whatever new name it gets) would most definitely be a regional thing and highly depend on which state you're living in. A much weaker Lost Cause movement only helps in further dividing the South by having states (people/governments/societies/etc.) not being unified on the topic. Citizens from Florida will think much differently on the Civil War and it's aftermath when compared to citizens from South Carolina.

Last edited:
Random thought, but I wonder how Robert E Lee felt about all that happened since the Triple Calamity? If he lived longer than his OTL death of 1870, I'd see him continuously growing disgusted with the Democrats and support the Liberal Party.

Last edited: