Triple Calamity: What if the Three Most Important Men in the Executive Branch Died in One Night?

As of now, New England and the Border States are very friendly to the Liberals. The mid Atlantic has high liberal turnout than republican. The west and Midwest are Republican strongholds, as are successful reconstruction states.
The Pacific States become Democrat strongholds?

The Pacific States become Democrat strongholds?
They were in 1880 due to liberal-Republican vote splitting. Hancock won California with a slight majority. Nevada and Oregon both had a significantly higher Liberal Republican combined vote than democratic votes in those states.

Great timeline, keep up the good work! I'd always wanted to do a successful Atzerodt TL but you've done it better than I ever could. With regards to maps I could definitely help out on that front :)

Great timeline, keep up the good work! I'd always wanted to do a successful Atzerodt TL but you've done it better than I ever could. With regards to maps I could definitely help out on that front :)
Thank you so much! If you would like to help I’d be super happy to chat! Obviously my expertise isn’t in graphic design.

Chapter 18: The Three Odd States pt. 1 Lincoln
"President Adams in his farewell address asked the new Liberal Congressmen to ensure that Lincoln Territory be admitted to the Union before the 1882 midterms. Originally the plan was just to get Lincoln admitted to the Union by 1884, but the new supermajorities of Republicans and Liberals agreed to push this time table up. In July of 1881, soon after Hancock assumed the Presidency the bill to elevate the Lincoln Territory to statehood passed the Congress. President Hancock vetoed it. He asked that Congress maintain the initial timetable for Lincoln's admission in 1884. Almost immediately the House voted to overrule the veto on the wishes of former President Adams. The Senate however was full of more contentious debate.

On September 19th 1881, Former President Layfette S. Foster died. In the week that followed, it was revealed that he had planned to send letters to many of his former colleagues in the senate encouraging them to override Hancock's veto. Foster had remained a Republican even after the Liberal split, he had also remained moderate on reconstruction, yet in his later years he grew to view Lincoln territory as the last hope for the freedmen of the failed reconstruction states. He feared that if they didn't override Hancock, the timetable may be expanded past 1884. (Democrats knew that Lincoln would be a strongly Republican state after all). Thus with the approval of two popular former presidents and other vocal pushes from both Grant and Seward the Hancock veto was overridden by the senate. On July 4th 1882, the State of Lincoln would be admitted to the Union."

-From THE STATES: How our 57 were admitted
by Jacob Cohen, published 2013

"Lincoln was in the early days a barren waste. When congress first put the plan into motion back in 1873 the first move was to start moving the native tribes out of the western half of Indian territory. This took around four years to be finished in full. Multiple tribes resisted with violence, the bloodshed further sunk the approval of President Seward. After the natives were removed, the Seward administration began paying white settlers in the region to leave. (This was a somewhat quiet action undertaken by the Department of the Interior). White settlers in western indian territory were paid to move to Northern texas or New Mexico territory. Propaganda of incoming negro settlers also encouraged many white families to leave. (Seen as many were former Confederate veterans anyways.)

Throughout the Adams Presidency the first freedmen settlers began to arrive in the newly formed Lincoln Territory. These settlers came from primarily Texas, South Carolina, Mississippi and especially Louisiana. The creole influence on modern Lincoln is unmistakable. After the redeemers seized control of Baton Rouge, Louisianian freedmen and some mixed race families moved to the Lincoln territory. With them, they brought their customs. To this day creole french is the second most spoke language in the state, and in the capitol of Douglass, a quarter of the population reports speaking creole.

The freedmen settlers quickly set up many cities (Accra, Douglass, Johnson, Hamlin, Grant, New Timbuktu, Webster etc.) the main problem for the population however was it's lack of educated settlers. Many of the freedmen were illiterate. In 1877 Lucius Freed a former slave from Texas sent a letter to Frederick Douglass. He appealed to the need for scholarly black men in the territory and the desperate need for schools. Douglass was unwilling to move to the territory, yet he was obviously a fan of a majority black state led by freedmen. In the spring of 1878, Douglass brought professors from New England and his friends on a trip to the Lincoln territory. He went on a tour of all the settlements he could find. Upon returning to the east Douglass wrote a report addressed to Congress.

'The Douglass Report' outlined exactly what the Lincoln Territory needed. Infrastructure, education and federal protection (from native tribes and white leagues). President Adams and Speaker Maynard authorized a Federal investigation, which by the end of 1878 had come to be in complete agreement with Douglass. The Grand Coalition in Congress thus passed the 'Lincoln Aid Act' in 1879. Authorizing Federal troops for protection, money in federal aid, and an influx of educated workers. This uncharacteristic swift action by Congress is certainly a reason for Lincoln's success towards becoming a state early...

.... After the statehood bill was forced past President Hancock in 1881, the New State Government was quickly taken control of by the 'Freedmen Party'. Made entirely of freedmen and African Americans. First elected Governor under the Freedmen Party was Lucius Freed, the man who sent the letter to Douglass appealing for aid. (Freed would change his last name to Cincinnatus while Governor, the only Governor to change his name while in office. He did so as he felt Freed was insulting as a last name.) Governor Cincinnatus appointed Frederick Douglass the 'State Person' of Lincoln. (Ironic). Douglass amused, accepted the title. (This would soon be a trend, most states in the north appointing their own 'State Person', the south rejected the idea as nonsense.) In the first session of the Lincoln legislature, Governor Lucius Cincinnatus spoke to a hall of mostly black men and two white men. He told them that the State had a long way to go, but it was his goal to make the State of Lincoln the dream of the forward minded."

-From The State Lincoln
by tony Downes, published 1966

-
A couple quick things, yes the Freedmen party also sends congressmen and Lincoln's first two senators to congress, they caucus with the Republicans. I'll have to write a whole chapter about the Freedmen Party soon. For now see them as the Bloc Quebecois but for America. Also yes the Freedmen Party will start to pop up in successful reconstruction states and will hold a nominating convention in 1884! (they'll nominate Frederick Douglass probably, or the Republican candidate, when I write about that I'll describe the parties factions, strengths, weaknesses so on.)

Secondly yes I'll release a list of each states 'State Person'. (Eventually renamed to State Inspiration) Soon.

FINALLY PT. 2 OF THIS CHAPTER ABOUT SEQUOYAH AND THE SUPREME COURT DECISON ON NATIVE VOTING TO COME VERY SOON. Sometime tomorrow prob. I was gonna release it tonight but I'm tired lol. It's mostly done. Shortly after pt. 3 will be about the State of Dominica so far. Enjoy the mini chapter for now. Thank you again!

Last edited:
New Maps!
Everyone give a round of applause to @InsertCoolUsernameHere he just made some great Wikipedia maps for the TL elections! They are on all the election posts now! Here they are on their own!

4C76C02C-7918-42C4-BEBD-DEE29F67CBEA.jpeg

D2839B3B-D08F-4135-BA89-B65136912424.jpeg

24358172-2C9D-46ED-BD9D-2C70335C9AF7.jpeg

6C5B7CFA-5378-492B-A141-B089D16DB63A.jpeg

E28630AF-913F-4364-9A11-D98D3DECA970.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice chapter, good development on the state of Lincoln, may it be a beacon of the good work that Black Americans can do. Interesting that Liberals and Republicans overruled President Hancock with his attempt to stop the acceptance of Lincoln as the newest state, I think that'll be a theme for the Hancock Presidency. Would love to see how Sequoya develops into a state, I'm still upset that the whole of Oklahoma isn't for the Freedman 🤣🤣🤣😭😭. Keep up the good work 👍👍👍.

Chapter 18: The Three Odd States pt. 2 Sequoyah
"The State of Sequoyah is perhaps our nation's most unique. It's long and winding road to statehood started as more of an afterthought than anything else. When the Two State plan was formulated by President Grant, the clear focus of the plan was the 'freedmen' State on the western portion of Indian Territory. Naturally then, the compensation to the Five Civilized Tribes should be their own state. Many in Congress were itching to dismantle the tribal system anyways. The opportunity to do so was now available.

After the initial Grant Idea entered into a proper planning phase under the Seward administration, Congress formed a special committee to investigate the feasibility of a Indian State. By the end of 1873 this committee suggested that the first hurdle needed to clear was getting the approval of the five tribes. Along with that Congress would need to pass laws to start dismantling tribal land ownership and early federal programs would be necessary to ensure the Indian Territory would be ready for statehood. Congress slacked off on these responsibilities for the remainder of Seward's term. Only beginning to resettle natives from the new Lincoln Territory into the new Sequoyah Territory. The Department of the Interior formed the 'Sequoyah Board' which began preliminary negotiations with the Five Tribes.

After the beginning of the Adams Presidency, the Sequoyah problem was picked up once again. Adams lobbied his Liberal colleagues in Congress heavily in an attempt to get them to get the ball rolling. They set up a few programs and began official negotiations, but hesitated on a bill to disband the Five Tribes. The number one problem that faced the State of Sequoyah was the problem of Indian citizenship. There could be no state without citizenship and Congress was unwilling to end tribal land ownership and pass statehood if the legal problems hadn't been sorted out in full."

-from The Indian Territory
by Quinn Hutch

"Under the request of the Adams administration, in August of 1880 the Chief of the Cherokee Nation, Dennis Wolf Bushyhead sued the Federal Government over the issue of citizenship for the members of the Five Civilized Tribes. He argued that seen as the Federal Government planned to make a state out of the Indian Territory and according to the 1873 Sequoyah Committee's report, planned to order the disbanding of the current tribal system of Indian Territory, the federal government should be allowed to make their tribal citizenship null and void in exchange for an American one. The Case Cherokee vs US arrived at the Supreme Court in January of 1883 after Indian voting was outright rejected by Federal Courts.

By 1883 there wasn't a single Democratic appointed justice on the Supreme Court. Thus, in a 7-2 decision with the majority opinion written by Chief Justice Waite the court ruled that the native citizens of the five civilized tribes could be granted citizenship by a simple law passage under the provisions of the 15th amendment. [1]. Along with opening the road to the State of Sequoyah the decision also had a second provision, stating that natives who were not citizens of the Five Tribes, who were also in 'open rebellion' against the United States, were ineligible for citizenship. In other words the tribes that were being fought against on the plains by the army were not under consideration for the decision.

Now that the court had finally spoken on the issue, Congress passed the Civilized Citizenship Act in May of 1884, making all the members of the five tribes US citizens. With that done their population could count towards the census for statehood. Negotiations between tribal leadership and the Federal Government would continue well into 1885, special protections and autonomies [2] being granted to the new State of Sequoyah in exchange for the official end of the contemporary tribal system.

In February of 1886 the 'Garfield Act' [3] passed congress and was signed by President __________. [4] Ordering a detailed census of Sequoyah Territory and allowing the Federal Government to break up tribal land and redistribute it as private property. With the final hurdle towards statehood gone in September Sequoyah statehood passed congress. In July of 1887 it would be admitted to the union. [5]

-
Ok! The third and final part of this chapter on the State of Dominica will be out tomorrow. A couple notes on this part.

[1]: Yes there is also a loophole made by the court here. The Federal Government technically can revoke citizenship of a foreign entity within american borders in exchange for US citizenship, with the passage of an act.
[2]: You can ask about these in the comments.
[3]: This is the Dawes Act but early. (ITS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT THE TWO STATE PLAN HAS MOVED INDIAN RELATIONS TO A 1900 LEVEL!) More accurately it's moved relations with the Five Civilized Tribes to a 1900 level. All other tribes are in a similar position to OTL. The State of Sequoyah is specifically not for them. (This will be important later)
[4]: Not yet lol
[5]: You'll get your politics and culture breakdown when the TL arrives to the late 1880s!

Thank you for reading!

Roadmap 1
Next chapters:

Pt. Three of the Three Odd States on Domincia (Today)

Mini Chapter on the end of reconstruction (This weekend)

Chapter on the Liberal Run Congress and Hancock Presidency (This weekend)

Another vignette chapter on important players (Next week)

Nominations for 1884 (Next Week)

1884 Election (Next Weekend)

Chapter on the Titans of industry and Third Parties (Next Weekend)

Well I'm not sure how much you can make of that land I sorta feel like they got fucked over by Congress giving the freedmen worse land than even the natives were granted.... but with enough money I guess it could be made livable. Just not much there OTL so not sure much what there is to be developed resource-wise and stuff....

Well I'm not sure how much you can make of that land I sorta feel like they got fucked over by Congress giving the freedmen worse land than even the natives were granted.... but with enough money I guess it could be made livable. Just not much there OTL so not sure much what there is to be developed resource-wise and stuff....
Congress did that intentionally, they weren't giving the most prime land in the nation. Federal aid is being given to ensure that they have something to work off of and money to ensure that it isn't just dirt but Hancock will gut the spending.

The good news is, they have a larger population than west Oklahoma did OTL.

Generally up until 1900 expect Republican and Liberal Presidents and congresses to spend money to help Lincoln and Democrats to inform the state.

Is there lasting animosity between
Congress did that intentionally, they weren't giving the most prime land in the nation. Federal aid is being given to ensure that they have something to work off of and money to ensure that it isn't just dirt but Hancock will gut the spending.

The good news is, they have a larger population than west Oklahoma did OTL.

Generally up until 1900 expect Republican and Liberal Presidents and congresses to spend money to help Lincoln and Democrats to inform the state.
Will the discovery of oil and gas lead to a reversal of fortune for Lincoln?

Is there lasting animosity between

Will the discovery of oil and gas lead to a reversal of fortune for Lincoln?
The main goal for the Freedmen's party of Lincoln will be fighting for investment.

Yes the discovery of oil, and lots of it in the Great state of Lincoln will be very important towards African Americans, big business and race relations in the USA...

Congress will wish they never went through with the plan.

Actually! I need to do a standard oil chapter soon add that to the list for the Titans of Industry Chapter.

Last edited:
Chapter 18: The Three Odd States pt. 3 Dominica
"The State of Dominica,
Today an island paradise and biggest tourist destination in the US! Dominica has had a long history since before being a tourist destination, being one of our few states that was formerly an independent nation! Known as the Dominican Republic and before that a piece of the Spanish Empire, The State of Dominica feels great pride in her great history!"

-from The State of Domincia//govt.
by Some Random Secretary, 2024

"In the nineteenth century Dominica's place in the Union was unique. Its climate and plantation based economy made it perfect for domestic sugar and cocoa production. After its admission to the Union the Dominican Goods Corporation, centered in Richmond quickly assumed a monopoly over the state and its agriculture. Big business and Dominica will always be locked hand and hand. To this day, though far less prominent, most business done within the state is run by large corporations, small businesses are hard to maintain on the island without surrendering to the interests of said corporations.

Obviously this has quite a large influence on Dominica's political scene. The state legislature throughout the nineteenth century remained static. Majority Republicans (Most of whom were paid off by the Dominican Goods Corp.), minority liberal and maybe a couple seats for the Dominican Nationalist Party (who occasionally sent House Representatives to DC). Every single Dominican Governor from 1873 through 1914 was a Stalwart Republican. However, even though Republicans had a tight lock on local politics, they didn't have any lock on Dominican politics nationally.

In Presidential elections Liberals always knew they had a strong chance in the state, seen as the Democrats were generally locked out from the island. (This was due to the nature of its admission and of course monopoly control). Liberals consistently gained at least one Liberal Senator and Representative from the state and molded themselves into the anti monopoly, opposition party of the state. Dominican Liberals are a different breed to mainland Liberals, tending to act more like economic Democrats than economic Liberals. In the Liberal National Conventions later in the 1880's and 90's many Dominican Liberals began to feel disaffected with the mainland..."

-from TOURIST TRAP: How Dominica became a Billionaire Playground
By Javier Cirillo, published 2018

-

Yeah it's short but I needed to give you all a mini update on Dominica because she'll be important again when we talk about monopolies, obviously.

Good chapter, though I do have to ask, what will be done with Haiti? That nation doesn't have a great reputation for stability. Either some serious cultural changes are done by the Haitians themselves (which I personally doubt) or the US gobbles up the nation and forcibly remakes it in their image. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Good chapter, though I do have to ask, what will be done with Haiti? That nation doesn't have a great reputation stability. Either some serious cultural changes are done or the US gobbles up the nation and forcibly remakes it in their image. Keep up the good work.
Yeah... Haiti is in a dangerous place if it likes national sovereignty.