Cambodia is probably happy they were forcibly ejected from France’s crazy train (also I’m still impressed you made a realistic situation where MONACO was the cause for an international crisis)

I was spending some time recently thinking about how exactly the Japanese were going to seize Taiwan, and how the rest of the French far eastern possessions were going to go down.

Is it "Vietnam revolts again, allowing an opportunistic invasion a la the run up to the Spanish-Japanese war"?

Is it "Franco-German fighting breaks out in East Asia in 1919 and gets local powers involved somehow"?

Is it "Japan decides to stab France in the back as the Germans march on Paris in 1922"?

Is it "Japan sees a mid-20s government in Paris too distracted by instability at home to bother resisting and silently moves in"?

It sounds like option 2 is closest to what we have coming, perhaps with a dash of option 1...

Cambodia is probably happy they were forcibly ejected from France’s crazy train (also I’m still impressed you made a realistic situation where MONACO was the cause for an international crisis)
Much like Haiti, simply by clearing an epically low bar Cambodia is one of this TL's big winners
I was spending some time recently thinking about how exactly the Japanese were going to seize Taiwan, and how the rest of the French far eastern possessions were going to go down.

Is it "Vietnam revolts again, allowing an opportunistic invasion a la the run up to the Spanish-Japanese war"?

Is it "Franco-German fighting breaks out in East Asia in 1919 and gets local powers involved somehow"?

Is it "Japan decides to stab France in the back as the Germans march on Paris in 1922"?

Is it "Japan sees a mid-20s government in Paris too distracted by instability at home to bother resisting and silently moves in"?

It sounds like option 2 is closest to what we have coming, perhaps with a dash of option 1...
You've got it. Option 2, with a bit of 1 and 3 mixed in for good measure.

Yeah, Italy is definitely probably the biggest potential finance recipient. France will probably be fine for the first part of the war: the issue will be after the war, when reparations start to become a huge problem

Yeah, the US will have a much lower baseline postwar to start from, though it’ll work its way back up soon enough. The lack of a Great Depression in the 1930s will help.

Pretty stark to see the numbers laid out like that - also, interesting that Austria had a slightly lower TFR than Germany!

Hahah that was exactly what I was going for! Glad you noticed

Very true

Britain is probably also experienced after lending to the GAW belligerents for three years of similar tempo warfare, so they’ll have more safeguards for European lending

Italy’s borders with Austria in the east are easier, so the bulk of their participation will definitely be in that theater

France is ahead of OTL, but you are right that their budgets are now unsustainable

Italy probably will need to tap financing pretty quickly even with their much superior armed forces here

Yes

Perhaps. I’ll be touching on this a bit in the US in the 1920s.

The open trade will be a huge boon. Nothing like the turnip winter looms for any participant, certainly
Which is why Celiac Disease ittl isn't figured out until 2006 and thus this is a dystopia. :)

How British crackdown impacted relationship between Hinduism and Muslims? Also is Revolutionary organizations recruiting Muslims and Dalits as well?

What is the current position of hindu right and Savarkar?

Prediction on what will happen on to the French Orient:
Japan takes Taiwan
Germany takes Hainan Island
Korea will be formally Independent
French Indochina will be turned to a independent Vietnamesse Kingdom
With the caveat that @Lemonfish pointed out that Korea is already essentially independent, you're barking up the right tree here.

Vietnam's fate won't be quite that clean under the hood, even if on paper you've got the right idea.
How British crackdown impacted relationship between Hinduism and Muslims? Also is Revolutionary organizations recruiting Muslims and Dalits as well?

What is the current position of hindu right and Savarkar?
Considering the demographics of both Punjab and Bengal, it's pretty hard not to have some Muslim presence in those orgs.

And I haven't quite gotten to a Hindu right in what I've mapped out yet, but I'd say Savarkar is still in jail, and probably remains so for longer considering British paranoia after Ghadar.

Will Saverkar have change of heart due to mutiny and British repression? I mean at his first phase of life he was not communalist at all but his experience in jail changed that. With mutiny and British repression he may consider British greater threat than Muslims.

El Jefe de Jefes: Luis Napoleon Morones' Mexico
(Happy Cinco de Mayo, everyone! To celebrate, I give you an update set in Mexico.)
--
"...as many as four million people may have been in Mexico City that day for the funeral in the Cathedral of Mexico City after six days lying in state, following by its the funeral train to the Mayan-inspired mausoleum just southwest of the Chapultepec. [1] The funeral of Maximilian I of Mexico became an event that soon was as much legend as historical event in the Mexican collective memory; there was a popular story that so many flowers and vigil candles were left at the crypt that it nearly burned several times, and that a hundred thousand rosaries and crosses were collected from its steps.

The funeral on January 28, 1919 was one of those days that an entire generation of Mexicans could thus remember, even if they had not attended it themselves. The cultural shock of the passing of the Padre de Patria in the wake of the upheavals of the Maderato and then the war years left the country reeling and uncertain, looking back at an extremely uncomfortable decade that had dramatically reshaped the reality they understood and looking ahead to 1920 and beyond with trepidation. It was the exact fertile ground that a strongman like Reyes needed to continue to deepen his control over Mexican institutions, and the uncertainty many had about the ability of Louis Maximilian to serve as Emperor, despite his cautious and capable nature, certainly did not help.

The funeral of Maximilian also marked, ironically, an important sidebar in the dramatic leadup to the Central European War; delegations from all the major European powers were present to honor a long-lived Habsburg on the other side of the world, and the Spanish Infante Francisco Jose, the younger of King Carlos Jose's twin sons, made a game effort to try to cobble together in Mexico City's parlors and salons some kind of last-ditch effort to establish backchannels between French, German and Belgian attendees (Belgium honored the Empress Carlota, the aunt of their King Leopold III, by sending his eldest son and heir Prince Leopold, the most senior prince of any European power to appear), but it was for naught. The Germans maintained their view that France and Belgium was intentionally goading Austria into acquitting Prince Stephane Clement of the murder of the Bavarian Prince Franz, and that only turning over Stephane Clement to be imprisoned in Germany for the affront would be a sufficient result.

As such, this effort to find some solution, some way out of the crisis, failed rather miserably, and Maximilian's funeral indeed proved to get lost in the chaos that was to follow over the next several months..."

- El Jefe de Jefes: Luis Napoleon Morones' Mexico

[1] Say, where Los Pinos stands today...

What is the situation of Dalits and Ambedkar? Any changes regarding dalit status?

How various religious movements that gave impacted by repression? Particularly ramakrishna mission?

The Germans maintained their view that France and Belgium was intentionally goading Austria into acquitting Prince Stephane Clement of the murder of the Bavarian Prince Franz, and that only turning over Stephane Clement to be imprisoned in Germany for the affront would be a sufficient result.
hmmmm.
I reckon - well its obvious, I think - that he gets off. But he probably does somehting else that start the war. Probably shoots another German diplomat.

What is the situation of Dalits and Ambedkar? Any changes regarding dalit status?

How various religious movements that gave impacted by repression? Particularly ramakrishna mission?
No clue, that all goes well beyond my cursory knowledge of India.
hmmmm.
I reckon - well its obvious, I think - that he gets off. But he probably does somehting else that start the war. Probably shoots another German diplomat.
Lol that'd certainly be on brand for him!

May he rest in the arms of the saints. Maximillian was a good man - sometimes one who was forced to make difficult choices, but who was fundamentally good and who thouht of his adopted people first and his own best interests second. Many nations could wish for a founding father who was only worthy to stand in Max's shadow. Seeing the outpouring of grief and respect the people of Mexico had for him is truly heartwarming and I only hope that his descendents can live up to his name in their own broken way.

By the way, do we have any idea who the monarch of Mexico is in the *present. Also will we ever get an update on the 1985 Mexico City earthquate now that the 1990 rule has been violated in the other thread (you youngling :p )