Where to find the DEI resources for the endeavor? The USMC had defense battalions. They apparently developed airdrome defense battalions in mid 1942, per Niehorster. Then again, they have more resources.
Well, they do have more resources then IOTL, some agreement for military equipment was made, but we are rather limited in details. There was something about fighter planes, Brewster Buffalos I believe, some refits done on some Dutch warships (ASDIC and hydroplane removal), but some more details would be nice to see. It could be anything from personal arms, vehicles, artillery to radios, and so many other things a military needs.

I Do think that we should really consider just what effects the Japanese occupation of Indochina means for the Allies in the SEA and South Pacific, when considering the prior events that occured ITTL. The CW/DEI cooperation has been going on for some time now, Dutch ships (light cruiser and some DDs if I recall correctly?) Have been operating alongside CW navies for some time, and that will help a lot. Not to mention the fact that an alternate port has been developed on Java, or that some plans have been made to share information with the Dutch or that CW could send forces to operate in DEI, with plans and other arrangements in place.

Morale wise, how would an average KNIL officer or a soldier feel if he saw RN/RAN/RCN ships out on drills with Dutch ships, ir in their harbours? We can also guess that Brewster Buffalos, for all their faults, would also be received warmly, or whatever else the CW has to spare, be it crates of L-Enfields or MGs, radios, mortars, or trucks, medicine, rations, whatever, it does matter a lot. And this has been going on dor months now, trickle it may be, but at least we can hope that they see situation as merely desperate, instead of outright catastrophic.

Now, it would be ideal if British had tanks to send, but between N.A, Britain and aid to SSSR, one does wonder what is there to be sent, and what they would be willing to send to Malaya, let alone to the KNIL.

It was the method of mass production that the US perfected - which I total get is your point - (British industry understandably maxed out) but this took until 43/44 and proper production not until early 44

It would be interesting to explore how this practical production of penicillin could be brought about earlier?
The US did not perfect mass production of penicillin!!!

That was an Australian in the UK. Once again Britain did not have the industrial base to mass produce it and let the US do that.

Florey didn't want to patent the process. He believed that it was to important to humanity. The US pharm did instead! And charged patent fees to Britain.

When you read the history of Florey's work, you'll understand the process of learning about research process

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Again, very nice update.
Since the Oil embargo things are become tense, how about the export license of the purchases made by the DEI government in the UK and especially the USA, will they be delivered this time?
Relative large number of materials, vehicles, large and small arms and aero planes were ordered, manufactured and waiting for export license to be shipped to the DEI. And the Royal Netherlands Navy managed to take some vessels, who were underconstruction, to the UK after the fall of the Netherlands, not impressive big ships but several submarines, a light cruiser and other smaller vessels.
Hi Parma, The TL is about how Britain might have done things differently, so transactions between the Dutch and Americans shouldn't alter from the historical in the build up to war. However a Britain endeavouring to improve her defences better than she did historically, will, no doubt, interact with the Dutch East Indies more, the defence of the DEI being a big part of Malaya/Singapore security, and so some ripples will begin.

Currently, there is a desire for the Royal Navy to work more closely with the Dutch East Indies squadron, with regard ships of both nations being able to work together. Britain is also trying to help improve the Dutch ASW capabilities. We will see more interaction, and as a result some gradual ripples from this. Sadly, the American position with the DEI will still remain difficult.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
One of the many vehicle types were the Vickers light tanks and Marmon-Herrington CTLS-4TA, Marmon-Herrington CTMS-ITB1 and Marmon-Herrington MTLS-1GI4.
According to 1943 standards, poor fighting vehicles but for 1941 good enough to protect the numerous airfields, oil fields and refineries especially if theres nothing else available.
Thank you Parma

Having read the Dread Name Marmon-Herrington I thought that I'd better put a link to this classic bit of information up.
Frankly, getting the damn things to work could, at times, be a miracle.
and
The M-H tankettes were a waste of steel.

Probably out of scope for this TL, but would the Dutch have been better served buying some Universal Carriers off the British or other Commonwealth force? The thinking being a good, reliable and fairly simple tracked vehicle would have been very useful on jungle trails and unimproved roads for a multitude of roles,

If not the Universal Carrier, what other off-pavement vehicle would have worked and been available to the Dutch?

Hi Cymraeg and Driftlees, the Dutch knew they desperately needed to modernise, had a considerable war chest, but there were only so many armaments available to be purchased, and they were right at the bottom of the food chain when it came to priority, hence they sometimes took what no one else might touch with a barge pole, out of need.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Not want to start a tank discussion but, Yes, the first choice of the DEI were Vickers Universal Carriers and there deratives, but delivery was blocked by the UK for obvious reasons. MH was one of the few available sources. As mentioned before in1943 the MH were torched to the ground after trials ( an after hind sight trial, since by that time there were beter vehicles) but for 1941 they were good enough if theres nothin else....and you realy insist to have armored fighting vehicles.
Hi Parma, am I right in thinking there was a desire within the KNIL to create a very mobile hard hitting force, to somehow compensate for the poor mobility of the entire army. As I understand it, the three field divisions (brigades really) were limited to covering set regions of Java, while the Garrison, Militia and other u its were simply static, in the strategic sense. Hence the formation of something that might grow into an armoured fist.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
The US did not perfect mass production of penicillin!!!

That was an Australian in the UK. Once again Britain did not have the industrial base to mass produce it and let the US do that.

Florey didn't want to patent the process. He believed that it was to important to humanity. The US pharm did instead! And charged patent fees to Britain.

When you read the history of Florey's work, you'll understand the process of learning about research process

Hi Capt Thunderbolt, thank you for that, I didn't know about Florey

I believe that it was Ernst Chain, who was Florey’s collaborator, who suggested the German system of patents for discovery. ICI did have an interest but the war limited their ability. Fleming, Florey and Chain would receive a Nobel in Medicine for their work. There is another researcher at Cambridge, Dorothy Hodgkin who would prove the structure of penicillin, B12 and insulin. She also received the Nobel in Medicine.
Florey lead the team.

Parallel research. Many problems, different skills to solve.

Chain was very pro-patent. But he was from outside the UK system.

Hodgkin did that work in 45.

MWI 41080411 The Growing Threat

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Monday 04 August;

The morning meeting of Churchill with the Chiefs of Staff had quickly moved along the agenda to the German invasion of Russia, and the two subjects that spun out of that. How to help the Soviet Union survive and fight back, and the defence of the Far East, and what to do with the growing threat posed by Japan. And clearly both were linked in so far as what resources could be sent to Russia and what to Malaya.

The Joint Intelligence Committee had provided a paper, assessing the Japanese threat, and they recognised the signing of the Soviet-Japanese Neutrality Pact in April had, by closing a potential front down, given Japan the opportunity to become more focused on China, or they could turn their eyes south. And then in June came the Nazi attack on the Russians, and the ever-increasing bad news of their success, as they tore through the Russian occupied lands, and entered Russia, herself. At this point would Japan back stab Russia and fall in step with her Tripartite Pact partners, they asked.

But that hadn’t materialised and now Japan had moved into southern Indo-China. They could only conclude she was coming south. The pressing need for the resources of South East Asia drew them. The Americans continued to display a confidence that they could deal with this through economic sanctions, and the distant threat of the USN Pacific Fleet moving to Hawaii. The CoS, having lived through the surprises of the fall of France and the invasion of Russia were a lot more pessimistic and pragmatic.

A second concern was the technical briefing the JIC had provided, which had upgraded the capabilities of the Japanese Forces, in a number of instances. At sea, they reported Japan had organised her four fleet carriers into a single operational unit, providing an immense offensive asset, and a further two fleet carriers were expected by the end of the year. In addition, the aircraft they operated had undergone a replacement cycle, with newer models, far more capable. Indeed, the information on the fighter aircraft was that it was exceedingly manoeuvrable, and if estimated performance figures were to be believed, would be a winner in any turning dogfight with a Hurricane or Spitfire.

And now with the occupation of airfields in southern Indo-China, the JIC estimated the Japanese could deploy, shore based, up to 200 fighters, 200 light bombers, 150 heavy bombers and 100 reconnaissance aircraft. The IJA was also being uprated, that they should be considered very capable of an amphibious assault, possibly up to a division in strength, with a couple of divisions thought to be capable in that role, while their air arm was also replacing old models, and was using the same new fighter as the IJN. What did remain unchanged however, was that their logistical organisation was still considered to be very poor.

Churchill put the paper down, and looked over his spectacles at the three chiefs. “Well gentlemen, what have you to say”

Pound spoke, “Prime Minister, I’m afraid the Royal Navy is far too stretched at the moment, I’m having difficulty not recalling some of the ships we do have in Far Eastern Waters, and we are chronically short on fleet destroyers. However, provided we don’t suffer further heavy losses, our building programs of 1942, plus the ships under repair will see us in a much better situation in about a years’ time”, Pound looked back at Churchill, and raised his eyebrows, “but for now.”

Churchill looked at Portal, who cleared his throat before speaking. “Prime Minister the Article XV squadrons have a good sound basis of personnel, but we need to give them more training time. In addition, they are equipped with Battles, Blenheim’s and a mix of Buffalos and Hurricanes, not all of which are first-rate aircraft, and the Vildebeest torpedo bombers are simply antiquated. If we purchase the DAP Beaufort copy that the Australian are beginning to build, to replace the Vildebeest, and use the trans African air route to fly limited numbers of Beaufighters and Wellingtons into Malaya, we might be able to upgrade our offensive punch by the end of the year, that would be the best way of limiting the additional strain on our shipping”.

“Humph” rumbled Churchill, who turned to Dill, “And what can the Army do General Dill”

“Prime Minister, we are maximising the recruitment of local troops, and we have two divisions of Indian troops, but they are all very inexperienced, have been repeatedly milked of leaders, and desperately need more training. We have two brigades of an Australian division, with a third brigade shortly to arrive, and they also need more training. What we don’t have is enough trained troops, and we are desperately short of artillery, be it field, anti-tank or anti-aircraft, and have no tanks whatso ever. These would all have to come from our own Home Forces”.

Churchill leaned back, offering his hands up as a gesture of acceptance. “Well gentlemen, as you know, I have been talking with the President, and we are very close to having a meeting with him and his people. I will press him for a more definitive answer on what help he can give us out there.”

Pound leaned forward and in slowly spoken hushed tones “with all due respect Prime Minister, we simply must be given time to take the measures required to secure the Far East, it’s taking about two months to send anything by sea to Singapore. Waiting on a promise that might not come from the Americans will cost us another month’s delay. Let us at least plan some alternative shipping schedules, that we might be able to implement a little quicker, if we need to. And we can't afford to promise away anything more to Stalin, until we know what we need, both in defence of Malaya, and shipping resources”

Churchill’s face grew stern, his brow knotted, and leaning forward he tersely spoke. “Yes Dudley, you’ve made the point crystal clear. It does have to be a balance as to what we keep and what we send to Stalin, but let me quite clear gentlemen, now that she’s in it, we mustn’t let Germany knock her out, Russia must hold, and in time she could bleed Germany, and give us the time to build for when we must re-enter mainland Europe. Very well, John, plan ahead what guns, tanks and artillery you might send, and the same goes with you Charles, with the extra aircraft. As soon as the talks are over with the Americans, we’ll review whats been agreed, and if we need to, we can fall back on your plans. Leslie, please make a note of the plans to be prepared, and Pug, can you make a note to remind me to press the President on this when we meet”.

For context there is still fighting in Ethiopia, Persia is to be invaded in a few weeks, Tobruk is under siege and the British will be building up supplies for Operation Crusader; there is an immense juggling act going on.

Well done in regards the informal dialog. The next day Churchill will be taking the team with him aboard the Prince of Wales for what will be called the Atlantic Charter Conference. In the intelligence summery the new IJN fighter is clearly the Zero. Although the Zero had been in combat in China the Allies failed to take the warnings of Claire Chenault seriously. At the start of the Pacific War the Zero came as a rude surprise. The Japanese Army never used the same fighters the Navy did. Do you have the assessment mistaking the Ki 43 Type 1 Fighter, Allied code name Oscar for an IJA Zero? Many American pilots mistakenly called it the army Zero.

Once again resources are tight, and decisions have to be made. I'm looking forward to your take on the Atlantic Charter, and the first face to face meeting between Churchill, FDR, and the Combined Chiefs of Staff. They were already taking Japan into account, and committing themselves to limiting what would be assigned to fighting them, leaving the lions share for the war in Europe. Good luck with the next chapter.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
For context there is still fighting in Ethiopia, Persia is to be invaded in a few weeks, Tobruk is under siege and the British will be building up supplies for Operation Crusader; there is an immense juggling act going on.
Hi Aber, yes quite so, although East Africa has now become a mopping up operation, and the Lebanon-Syria campaign has ended well, meaning the German ability to support Iraq and Persia has been removed. Nevertheless, it raised insecurities over the oil at Abadan, and the ability to use the route to through to the USSR that Persia now needs to be occupied. Its amazing how well the British have bounced back after the heavy losses in Greece and Crete, and the desperate need to rebuild the saved formations.

The war in the Atlantic is very much alive, but looking good, tonnage sunk by the U-boats was over 600,000 tons in April, in July it was just over 100,000 tons. With the attack on the Soviet Union taking most of Germany's focus, Britain is free of invasion threats for now, although the worry is can the Russians survive a Blitzkrieg, which is at this moment tearing into them. So for Britain, there is an opportunity to take a deep breath, and set out some future plans, bringing the USA into the war, and keeping the USSR in it being prominent in them. And like Persia is a tidy up operation, so the CoS are looking to do something a bit like that now for Malaya. However, as you say, militarily, Britain's next priority is relieving Tobruk.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Well done in regards the informal dialog. The next day Churchill will be taking the team with him aboard the Prince of Wales for what will be called the Atlantic Charter Conference. In the intelligence summery the new IJN fighter is clearly the Zero. Although the Zero had been in combat in China the Allies failed to take the warnings of Claire Chenault seriously. At the start of the Pacific War the Zero came as a rude surprise. The Japanese Army never used the same fighters the Navy did. Do you have the assessment mistaking the Ki 43 Type 1 Fighter, Allied code name Oscar for an IJA Zero? Many American pilots mistakenly called it the army Zero.
Hi Belisarius II: The A6M entered service about a year earlier than the Ki-43, the first of which didn't reach the IJA air force until about June 1941, with the 59th Sentai in northern China. It would be exceedingly good information scope for the Allies to get to know this aircraft that quickly. I could be mistaken here, but I think the Ki-43 came as a surprise to the RAF and AVG (Flying Tigers), who initially mistook it for a Zero.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Once again resources are tight, and decisions have to be made. I'm looking forward to your take on the Atlantic Charter, and the first face to face meeting between Churchill, FDR, and the Combined Chiefs of Staff. They were already taking Japan into account, and committing themselves to limiting what would be assigned to fighting them, leaving the lions share for the war in Europe. Good luck with the next chapter.
Yes Atlantic Charter has to be covered, and as usual in my own slanted way., however, there's half a dozen other chapters to come first!, I'm not very quick getting to the action, am I.

However, as you say, militarily, Britain's next priority is relieving Tobruk.
Slipping back the planned date for Crusader for a month because some key supplies were shipped East/need for more training/ reviewing command arrangements might have very far reaching consequences.

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Slipping back the planned date for Crusader for a month because some key supplies were shipped East/need for more training/ reviewing command arrangements might have very far reaching consequences.
Hi Aber, I'm not sure when they fixed a date for Crusader, I'm defo not an expert on the North African Campaign, but they need to relieve Tobruk, the disappointment of Operation Brevity, see post 1,015, page 51, only underlines its importance and that pressure will grow, especially with Churchill keen to prove to the Americans, that British forces can be victorious. They will look to pinch a few ships from other routes, and hopefully continue the Crusader build up.

Hi Belisarius II: The A6M entered service about a year earlier than the Ki-43, the first of which didn't reach the IJA air force until about June 1941, with the 59th Sentai in northern China. It would be exceedingly good information scope for the Allies to get to know this aircraft that quickly. I could be mistaken here, but I think the Ki-43 came as a surprise to the RAF and AVG (Flying Tigers), who initially mistook it for a Zero.
Yes, my friend the Oscar was just entering service, but what I'm saying is the Allies didn't know about the capabilities of the Zero until they meet it in combat in the Pacific War. They didn't know it could out turn a Spitfire, or Hurricane. The P-40B's of the Flying Tigers didn't engage the Zero until after Pearl Harbor. Allied intelligence was poorly informed about Japanese equipment, and capabilities. And yes, American pilots often called the Ki-43 the army Zero, even though it was identified as a different fighter, they looked very much alike. Identifying enemy fighter types is never easy under the stress of combat.

Although, as HJTulip remarked earlier, the motorization of the KNIL and leaving their jungle warfare abilities, might be a wrong decision
Possibly. I might be changing my opinion on that though. The benefit of a less motorized KNIL would be that it would be better in conducting somewhat asymmetrical warfare and ambush Japanese columns. The chance of a succesfull ambush by KNIL forces on Java is pretty low though, given the very pro-Japanese feelings among the local population.

Hi Parma, am I right in thinking there was a desire within the KNIL to create a very mobile hard hitting force, to somehow compensate for the poor mobility of the entire army. As I understand it, the three field divisions (brigades really) were limited to covering set regions of Java, while the Garrison, Militia and other u its were simply static, in the strategic sense. Hence the formation of something that might grow into an armoured fist.
I think it is wrong to lump in the Stadswacht/Landwacht militia with the rest of the KNIL. Those newly raised troops were not more than glorified security guards and meant to counter saboteurs and paratroopers. They were not expected to stand toe-to-toe against IJA regulars, and they did not. The actual KNIL on the other hand, was supposed to fight the Japanese but was aware that (having decisively lost the inter-service was to the Navy in the Interbellum) it did not have the numerical strength to effectively defend the whole island of Java. When Germany steamrolled Poland in 1939 the KNIL decided that the solution lay in Blitzkrieg. Offcourse that reorganization didn't have time enough to make the KNIL an effective mechanized forced or even foster cohesion in these new units.

Only if the British know how few the Japanese are, and how short they are of supplies. Once the fighting started the Commonwealth forces were throw so off balance, they couldn't tell what they were dealing with. With the enemy seemingly all around them they thought they had to be outnumbered. Being conservative, and conventional thinkers, they couldn't imagine the Japanese would go into a major operation unless they had adequate supplies. After all they'd never run such risks, so, how could the Japanese.

In the ACW the cavalry forces of Nathan Bedford Forrest consistently ran circles around superior Union forces and had them convinced he outnumbered them. On several occasions he had them so demoralized they surrendered after only putting up token resistance. The object of strategy is to overcome the enemies will to resist. If you defeat the enemy in his mind you don't need to defeat his body.
Agreed. And that is very much a leadership issue. Both Forrest and the Japanese leadership pulled this off by being, as you say, able to bluff their opponents through sheer aggression and balls. What the British need is the sort of leadership that goes, "Nope, you can't intimidate me, here I make my stand!" And, moreover, gets aggressive right back at them.
Now, the question remains; can the British scare up battalion and lower unit leaders like that? Moreover, will parse through intelligence of the Japanese operations in China and catch on that the Japanese tend to run things on a shoestring on a GOOD day? Both are very dicey questions.

Yes, my friend the Oscar was just entering service, but what I'm saying is the Allies didn't know about the capabilities of the Zero until they meet it in combat in the Pacific War. They didn't know it could out turn a Spitfire, or Hurricane. The P-40B's of the Flying Tigers didn't engage the Zero until after Pearl Harbor. Allied intelligence was poorly informed about Japanese equipment, and capabilities. And yes, American pilots often called the Ki-43 the army Zero, even though it was identified as a different fighter, they looked very much alike. Identifying enemy fighter types is never easy under the stress of combat.
In any case, the most common fighters they're going to encounter are the A5M Claude and Ki-27 Nate with only an elite core of Oscars and Zeros. And matching any of these is simply a matter of adapting one's tactics. They're going to remain a serious danger no matter what, but once the Commonwealth pilots learn to counter the enemy's strengths, play to their own, and take advantage of the enemy's weaknesses (especially that Japanese plains are seemingly made from highly flammable tissue paper, and their pilots very conservative tactically) they'll hold their own. If Wildcats and P40s could do it in the Solomons....
As for the intelligence, the reports were there, in copious amounts, it's just nobody in the West seemed to want to read them. They ended up forgotten in filing cabinets after being skimmed, scoffed at, then blown off. Hell, you want to know what an Oscar or Zero in action live can do in mid-1941? Send someone to China and watch to their heart's content, just tell them be careful to not get their ass shot off! The Japanese weren't exactly shy about using them there.