This is an old revision of the document!
Grupo CVP based in Guarda, Portuguese Federation. Founded in 1952 is one of the country largest domestic car manufacturer in the Federation.
Founded in 1952 by Jose Coelho dos Santos, to build Renault, Peugeot and Citroen in Federation, name of the company was LUFR. Two separate plants were built, the Renault plant was located in Benguela West Africa, while the Peugeot / Citroen plant was located in the Guarda region. With the head office located in Guarda. The deal provided the three car companies with access to the growing Portuguese market without having to invest any monies. By the end of the decade LUFR car company was producing vehicles under the three manufactures names but with 70% Portuguese content.
In the 1960s LUFR and the French companies relationship suffered major manufacturing and sales of Renault, Citroen and Peugeot vehicles. While the three French companies were willing to allow it to sell their vehicles in full member Commonwealth countries it was not allowed to sell the cars in associate member countries and banned from exporting outside the commonwealth. Using the Auto Europe model from the 50s LUFR wanted to strike a similar agreement as existed with Auto-Portugal which had resulted in Auto-Portugal model lineup being completely different than VW its parent company and being exported to Commonwealth and Latin America. The French companies were adamant and refused to budge. With negotiations at an impasse the French companies gave notice to terminate the agreement. LUFR sued the three companies for breach of contract. In 1967 LUFR introduced its first four cars for Portuguese and commonwealth markets. In 1969 it increased its product line to eight which had been the same number of vehicles it had been manufacturing for Renault, Citroen and Peugeot in the Portuguese market. All the vehicles were based on previous models it had built. In the meantime, Renault, Citroen and Peugeot brands disappeared from the Portuguese and Commonwealth market while the court battle continued.
In the 1950s the company started producing the E series sports car for general sales competing with high end sport car manufacturers from Italy such as Lotus and Ferrari. From 1954-1959 Harry Rugeroni and Agostinho Sousa Roxo alternated winning the F1 each year racing special EdFor racing vehicles.
In the 1960s the company expanded production becoming one of the worlds four largest sports car and luxury sports car manufacturers.
In 1979, Eduardo Ferreirinha died, and his son, Joao Ferreirinha, became Chairman of the Board of Directors. Under his leadership the company increased production with the G series mass production sports car. Called the fastest and most powerful mass production sports car on the market it went head to head with German car manufacturer Porch.
Today EdFor– produces 4 (four) different line of sports and high end vehicles.
EdFor Grand Sport (1937) Curtesy of EdFor Automobile Museum