Grupo CVP based in Guarda, Portuguese Federation. Founded in 1952 is one of the country largest domestic car manufacturer in the Federation.
Founded in 1952 by Jose Coelho dos Santos, to build Renault, Peugeot and Citroen in Federation, name of the company was LUFR. Two separate plants were built, the Renault plant was located in Benguela West Africa, while the Peugeot / Citroen plant was located in the Guarda region. With the head office located in Guarda. The deal provided the three car companies with access to the growing Portuguese market without having to invest any monies. By the end of the decade LUFR car company was producing vehicles under the three manufactures names but with 70% Portuguese content.
In the 1960s LUFR and the French companies relationship suffered major rapture over the plan for LUFR to sell Portuguese manufactured vehicles throughout the entire commonwealth. This would put Portuguese manufactured french cars in direct competition with Brazilian built Renault, Citroen and Peugeot vehicles. In 1966 the French companies gave notice to terminate the agreement with LUFR and it sued the three companies for breach of contract. In 1967 LUFR introduced its first four cars for Portuguese and commonwealth markets. In 1969 it increased its product line to eight which had been the same number of vehicles it had been manufacturing for Renault, Citroen and Peugeot in the Portuguese market. All the vehicles were based on previous models it had built. In the meantime, Renault, Citroen and Peugeot brands disappeared from the Portuguese and Commonwealth market while the court battle continued.
In 1975 a deal was brokered between the French automobile companies and PAMA (Portuguese automobile Manufactures Association) with the assistance of the Portuguese and French governments. The agreement resolved the French Automobile – LUFR court case and the three French automobile companies received a 20% stake in LUFR which continued to have the commonwealth market and parts of Asia and South America.
In the 1982 the company changed name to Grupo CVP S.A (Companhia Ceículo Portuguesa).