Zero Killer

Definitely check out Zero Killer, a new ATL comic book from Dark Horse Comics, that was just released in stores July 18, 2007

POD:1945-Franklin Roosevelt dies, and Harry Truman becomes President of the United States. The Yalta and Potsdam conferences are acrimonious and inconclusive.

Rather than use atomic weapons on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Truman elects to demonstrate their power on an uninhabited island in the Pacific. Emperor Hirohito plans to surrender, but hardline fascists in the Japanese military command kidnap him. The junta vows to fight the Allies regardless of their use of atomic weapons.

General Douglas MacArthur recommends an invasion of the Japanese home islands. Operation Downfall begins with the invasion of the island of Kyushu. The Soviet Union invades the island of Hokkaido in the north.

1973- The United States withdraws all combat troops from Vietnam to aid in the defense of South Japan.

The Yom Kippur war erupts when Egypt and Syria launch joint surprise attacks on Israel. Soviet/Iranian-backed guerrillas from Lebanon also take part. OPEC suspends oil sales to the West, triggering an economic crisis.

From the start, the war goes badly for Israel – the increased Soviet influence in the Middle East and the transnational fundamentalist guerilla movements the Soviets inadvertently created makes a decisive difference in the military capability of the combatant Arab states.

Within weeks the Syrians are at the gates of Tel Aviv. The Israelis launch nuclear strikes on Tehran and Damascus. The Soviet Union responds by annihilating Israel. The United States retaliates by launching a nuclear strike against Moscow.

It escalates into a massive global exchange known as Zero Hour. Over 90% of the human population perishes in the span of 24 hours.

Nixon and Ford are assassinated in the chaos, along with with most of the Senate and the House. JOCOM is formed.

2007-Present-day. The ruins of New York City are a grim necropolis of feuding gangs, although it's said Africa was spared the devastation of Zero Hour. The sinister, militaristic JOCOM persists in sprawling underground complexes. And a bounty hunter named Zero stalks the towers of New York…

For More Information, check out:

http://www.rexmundi.net/zerokiller/main/index.html

The beginning of the TL, at least, is roughly similar to the scenarios I've drawn up a few times in threads around here. There's a few plausability problems with the story, though -- the existence of a South Korea, despite the need to invade Japan, the idea of a Soviet advance as far south as Tokyo, a magical Chinese sealift capability that allows it to invade Taiwan, etc.

My theory has always been that due to the Soviet Union's lack of sealift capability and its poor logistics in the Far East would hamper any Soviet invasion of Japan. I have no doubts that an invasion of Hokkaido would succeed, and the Tsugaru Strait is narrow enough that they could probably cross, but reaching Tokyo before Operation Coronet in early 1946 is just out. The terrain isn't conducive to that sort of advance, the logistics aren't in place, and Soviet Far East forces are going to be busy pacifying Manchuria and Korea, as well as Hokkaido.

America's got more forces in the area, and as eager as Stalin was to begin preparations for a Japanese invasion in OTL, he was also interested in avoiding a confrontation with the United States until he had a nuclear bomb ready. I could see a portion of northern Honshu joining any Soviet North Japan state, but something as far as Tokyo is right out. I could see an "East Tokyo" analogue, but it wouldn't be contiguous to the rest of the Soviet holdings.

South Korea also wouldn't exist, as the American troops that landed there in OTL will still be fighting in Japan. That's all going to be a Soviet state. Ironically, that, coupled with a divided Tokyo, might contribute to a more stable Cold War.

Consider this: This POD would eliminate the Korean War and the flashpoint that the border provided. In addition, it would provide an easy counter for any Soviet threats on Berlin. A Berlin Blockade could easily be countered by a Tokyo Blockade, and unlike the West, the Soviet Union doesn't have the airlift capability to fight such a blockade. You might also butterfly away the Vietnam war, but I don't think so -- it'll probably still happen in TTL, particularly with the greater focus on Asia that will result.

Those are my thoughts.

The beginning of the TL, at least, is roughly similar to the scenarios I've drawn up a few times in threads around here. There's a few plausability problems with the story, though -- the existence of a South Korea, despite the need to invade Japan, the idea of a Soviet advance as far south as Tokyo, a magical Chinese sealift capability that allows it to invade Taiwan, etc.

My theory has always been that due to the Soviet Union's lack of sealift capability and its poor logistics in the Far East would hamper any Soviet invasion of Japan. I have no doubts that an invasion of Hokkaido would succeed, and the Tsugaru Strait is narrow enough that they could probably cross, but reaching Tokyo before Operation Coronet in early 1946 is just out. The terrain isn't conducive to that sort of advance, the logistics aren't in place, and Soviet Far East forces are going to be busy pacifying Manchuria and Korea, as well as Hokkaido.

America's got more forces in the area, and as eager as Stalin was to begin preparations for a Japanese invasion in OTL, he was also interested in avoiding a confrontation with the United States until he had a nuclear bomb ready. I could see a portion of northern Honshu joining any Soviet North Japan state, but something as far as Tokyo is right out. I could see an "East Tokyo" analogue, but it wouldn't be contiguous to the rest of the Soviet holdings.

South Korea also wouldn't exist, as the American troops that landed there in OTL will still be fighting in Japan. That's all going to be a Soviet state. Ironically, that, coupled with a divided Tokyo, might contribute to a more stable Cold War.

Consider this: This POD would eliminate the Korean War and the flashpoint that the border provided. In addition, it would provide an easy counter for any Soviet threats on Berlin. A Berlin Blockade could easily be countered by a Tokyo Blockade, and unlike the West, the Soviet Union doesn't have the airlift capability to fight such a blockade. You might also butterfly away the Vietnam war, but I don't think so -- it'll probably still happen in TTL, particularly with the greater focus on Asia that will result.

Those are my thoughts.

My thoughts are that the ATL for Zero KIller is harder to swallow, once the details are added up. I can certainly buy the idea of a post-apocalyptic ATL, based on the films of the 1970s/1980s "Grindhouse" genre, but the ATL seems to be secondary to the atmospheric aspects, which are meant to pay homage to films like The Warriors orEscape From New York. But considering the lack of originality in terms of ATLs in mainstream American comic books, the ATL should be seen as an adequate attempt that should be developed further. ATLs, in many respects are perfect for the graphic novel genre....