Yugoslavia dies early

As you may know, neither the first or the second incarnation were stable or in fact durable. In fact, political problems enflamed the new nation so quickly that the leader of the Croatian peasent party ended up assasined by a montenegrin MP in the Skupstina. At the news of this, King Alexandar actually thought to split the nation and leave Croatia (and Slovenia, with it) to go its own way. What would have happened if Croatia was declared independent and how the borders would have been drawn in this situation?

Yugoslavia, being a front for Serbian chauvinism, calling it quits a few decades earlier would be interesting. I can't imagine the borders would be fair to Croatia, however, so there would likely be some sort of conflict eventually; though with the safety valve of independence and being absent the decades of Serb oppression you might avoid the horrific ethnic conflict that happened OTL

how the borders would have been drawn in this situation?
As a baseline I's assume Banovina Croatia + the Drava Banovina

However, I imagine Belgrade would trim off some bits of Croatia before letting them go. I assume they had different tolerances for what they were willing to grant autonomy to vs what they were willing to loose entirely. I'm also not sure how well the Slovenes and Croats would get along.

Last edited:
Letting off the Banovina Croatia and Slovenes in one go means that Greater Serbia (comprised of today's B&H, Serbia, Kosovo, Montenegro and N. Macedonia) materializes on a dime and without many casualties. Croats from Bosnia don't like it? Okay, shipped in the brand new Croat state. Serbs in the new Croat state don't like it? Shipped in the G. Serbia.
Cruel scenario? You bet, every bit as what happened between Greece and Turkey in the 1920s.

I have nothing to add here but a comment that there are many parallels between Yugoslavia and Pakistan with Punjab playing the same role as Serbia.

Serbia keeps Vojvodina, Slavonija, Dalmatina and Bosnia-Hercegovina. Very small number of Serbs would remain in Croatia (those in Lika and Banovina), while a lot of Croats remains on the other side.

Deleted member 109224

If it happens in the 30s with Italy backing the Croats, I imagine we'd get greater Croatia and a very angry Serbia.
If it happens sooner, then I imagine the Serbs would outnumber and overpower the Croats significantly and Greater Serbia retains Slavonia and much of Dalmatia.

Since the scenario is essentially Alexander and the Serbs forcing the Croats and Solvenes out of Yugoslavia, I suspect the borders would resemble the Greater Serbia idea tossed around by Serbian nationalists. Although this would depend on if Italy decides to take the opportunity to intervene or at least meddle with the dissolution.

Since the scenario is essentially Alexander and the Serbs forcing the Croats and Solvenes out of Yugoslavia, I suspect the borders would resemble the Greater Serbia idea tossed around by Serbian nationalists. Although this would depend on if Italy decides to take the opportunity to intervene or at least meddle with the dissolution.
But the Italians meddle for which side given their designs on Dalmatia?