Your Sky

This site will show you what's going on in the sky for any time between Julian Day One (4713 BC) and New Year's Eve, 7999 AD. This will apply to any spot on Earth, of course. It can be used in conjunction with that other site which gives information on occultations, transits and eclipses.

John Walker, who runs Fourmilab, has other neat stuff on his other web pages, including a blog.

http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

I've been using Fourmilab's Your Sky for a while, and I give a whole-hearted endorsement. It has tons of options to play with, and unlike a lot of Java-based sky maps, it's never broken down on me.

That planetarium program on that site is an adaptation of John Walker's Home Planet software. The graphics are primitive, you are much better off using Stellarium, for the graphics are much better, and planet and star positions are alot more accurate, not to mention that Stellarium is a stand alone program, and doesn't require you to be connected to the 'net in order to use it. However if you prefer to use that planetarium program, get Home Planet, for it is a stand alone program, and doesn't require 'net connection to use it.