Your region in Dies the Fire?

I was Duluth MN and I think we would do ok. Head of the Great Lakes, lots of fishing and timber. and just enough woodsmen and camping equipment to make a go of it.

Nova Scotia, there are still a lot of folks around who still remember how to do everything the 'hard' (ie with horses) way here.
Hydropower turning grist stones and saws would still work, we have those, or the remnants of these that could be rehabilitated.
Nova Scotians have seen hard times, as usual we would persevere, as for the ones who can't? Natural selection.
80% chance of surviving.

NothingNow

Banned
Probably the same as above, I live in a very densely populated county (But according to Leo, this one then :D). If I survive, then I'll escape to the north (to areas that are not populated by Yankees) and join the farmers until I get killed for harbouring secular leftist ideas. :rolleyes:

More or less the Same thing here. Same County In fact.
Except my family Sailboat and Decent knowledge of sailing and nautical navigation! If the currents and winds are okay I will be Safe with our group out here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anclote_Key_Preserve_State_Park and I will live off of Fish, Lobster, Veggies and Water from my solar stills and cisterns.

If it happens in 1998, I don't survive the mayhem, as I would be 2.
If it happens in 2016, I might have a chance. I have some training in historic fencing/HEMA, and could probably link up with other members of my salle to form a militia of some sorts. Of course, being in a city and having no clue how to ride a bicycle, I might very well starve or be killed before I can get organized.

If it happened nowadays I might make it. Right now I'd be in the middle of the eastern death zone, but I might make it west in time; I have a sword and a bike.

In the Mojave desert. But. I am also about 20 miles from good safe area of Sierra Mountain. If I could get there would be safe. Or could head for Lone Pine but that might be problematic.

If it happened in '98, my family wouldn't stand a chance, seeing as we lived in Baltimore at the time, and I was maybe a year old.
If it happened now, I might do better. If we could get out of Richmond and into the Shenandoah, for example, we might do alright. I'm in pretty good shape, athletically, so that would help. If we were at my grandfather's cabin in West Virginia, we'd probably do fine. There's not many people out that way, and there's plenty of farmland.

Lusitania

Donor
I actually think most of the areas that he says survives are bunch of crock. His idea that scicily or morocco/Algeria with millions of people would not be the same as let's say New York is bonkers.

Southern Canadian Prairies

Good chance of surviving and even if everyone streamed out of the big cities.
Cattle and root crops plentiful, most people know how to can and preserve. Wood for heating would be a problem but poplar trees grow very fast.

Southern Canadian Prairies

Good chance of surviving and even if everyone streamed out of the big cities.
Cattle and root crops plentiful, most people know how to can and preserve. Wood for heating would be a problem but poplar trees grow very fast.

Not only that, but you'd end up in Drumheller, Minnedosa, or Moose Jaw, all of which as I recall were at least tolerable places to live in.

Those regions are tough places to live in, but as long as you have water, and wood (or coal) for heating fuel you should be able to survive.

I have no idea how this thread got resurected but I have always been troubled by the whole Eastern Dead Zone stretching from basically Moline or Rock Island to Portland (the one in Maine) down to South Florida and back Dallas/Fort Worth. Yes there would be wholesale death and chaos. Yes there would be starvation. Yes some would turn cannibal. But there would areas where small groups survive in a state of reduced civilization beyond the hinted at isolated communities in the Appalacians/Ozarks/Catskills/Berkshires/Adorondacks mountains. One region that offers potential refuges from the chaos is areas around the Great Lakes. Specifically smaller lake shore communities or islands. Ones that come to mind are 1) Door County in Wisconsin. The Lower portion of the county would be swamped by refugees out of Green Bay but once you get to Surgeon Bay you have a natural barrier with only one or two bridges. While a major vacation area the numbers should be fairly low. The area is a major fruit producing area (cherries and apples mainly with some corn and potato production. Lots of artist/crafts studios thast could form a nucleus of needed skills. Plus Sturgeon Bay is a ship building town. 2) The northwest corner of Lower Michigan. Fairly isolated from the Detroit area by distance its major source of refugees would most likely be the cities on the Eastern Shore of Lake Michigan. But even then there is a lot of forrest between Muskegon/Grand Haven and the area around Grand Traverse Bay. Plus the lake effect snow is going to make for problems on the part of refugees. I could see an eventual republic/kingdom forming based on the area around Traverse City or on of the other communities such as Potosi. Lots of fruit production plus other farming. Much more than Door County. Again lots of tourism but numbers in mid March should be low. ) The islands of western Lake Erie. The Walleye fishery should be able to provide a protein source. Again its March. Not a lot of boats in the water. And getting boats out of storage and in the water by hand is going to be problematical for most people. East of there the population centers begin to overlap too much. Toledo, Cleveland, Erie, Buffalo. But in terms of salvage the region around the Great Lakes is one of the potentially richest areas of North America. Machine tools that can be adapted to run on water or wind power. Hydraulic systems capable of also being run by wind power. Rubber products on hand ranging from belts to hoses. Cutting tools for almost any need. Measuring intruments. Everything from micrometers to surface plates. Forget the artwork as nice as it is. Tools be they a blacksmiths hammer to precision grinders and the knowledge* to use them are what are going to produce non agricultural wealth

*that knowledge includes engineering along with the skills to use and more importantl repair those tools. People who know how to rebuild precision machinery by hand will be as valuable as any other skilled labor

In terms of salvage the millions of automobiles/trucks will be valuable for the following. 1) Suspension systems. Look to see horse drawn vehicles with decent springs and shocks. 2) Drive train components. The engines are valuable as sources of iron and aluminum. Transmisions for their gearing and clutches. Axles. Look to see wagons and carts using the rear axles from trucks and older cars. Anything with a solid rear axle . Fasteners. Look to see cars torn down for the screws and nuts in them. Wire. The electrical system may be dead but all that wire is usefull. 4) Batteries. Cracked open for the lead. Fishing sinkers to bullets for slings. Bearings, belts, tires. Even steering wheels would be useful. Power steering pumps may be useful as the basis of wind powered hydraulic machinery on farms and such. I see such power systems being a vertical shaft wind turbine turning the hydraulic pump. The pump hooked to hydraulic motors on items needing power.

Lusitania

Donor
As I reported before the story is lazy and poorly written to fit the author's agenda. So far you have shown several good examples of many places that would survive. If we had people from Main, Newfoundland and other areas they could provide many more examples of areas that could survive and overtime push the areas of dead zones further away.

As I reported before the story is lazy and poorly written to fit the author's agenda. So far you have shown several good examples of many places that would survive. If we had people from Main, Newfoundland and other areas they could provide many more examples of areas that could survive and overtime push the areas of dead zones further away.

Yeah. For instance while New York City would probably be screwed in the short term, as soon as the dying is done somebody is going to occupy the site because it is one of the most defensible locations in the world pre-gunpowder (as I noted in a thread about Constantinople), and that is without considering the huge amount of salvage that could be had from a city that size.

teg

If I was 23 in 1998, I would have gathered every able bodied man I could, arm them with machetes and march them into Manhattan and burn the city to the ground, after we finish taking very bit of worth, amassing new recruits throughout the city to eventually create a foot bound army marching west to get to anything we can and bring it to their knees.

Because the world is over and I get to play Arminger. The Horde would be the Barbarians feasting on the dead body of the American Empire.

Also if it was in 1998, I could have run away, but I doubt I would survive, given the likely cannibal element in the City.

I believe I was in Queens. You know, a couple million population, with bookend international airports, neighboring Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Long Island?

Lots of restaurants to desperately hang out at, myriad food stores, we could last for at least a few days, I think.

Communications, holy cow.

Mayor Giuliani might hold it together longer than expected, however long that is.

Yeah. For instance while New York City would probably be screwed in the short term, as soon as the dying is done somebody is going to occupy the site because it is one of the most defensible locations in the world pre-gunpowder (as I noted in a thread about Constantinople), and that is without considering the huge amount of salvage that could be had from a city that size.

Definitely. Hell, you could live in the Statue of Liberty. The pedestal makes it half a castle anyway. Or Ellis Island with its causeway, or Governor's Island, or even Riker's Island which is already a fortress and has greenhouses and a farm on site. Tons of defensible locations with easy access to farmland, good fishing, and trade.

Definitely. Hell, you could live in the Statue of Liberty. The pedestal makes it half a castle anyway. Or Ellis Island with its causeway, or Governor's Island, or even Riker's Island which is already a fortress and has greenhouses and a farm on site. Tons of defensible locations with easy access to farmland, good fishing, and trade.

But those will support a few thousand out of millions. Millions of desperate people are going to get extremely irrational and creative to get what they need. There would probably be like 98% die off in those areas.

Living on the prairie I suspect I'd end up living how my great grandfather lived, poorly and dreading winter every year. With no coal there's going to be a lot fewer trees around in a few years. But all those now-useless power poles will make an excellent palisade.