Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

Some of the Disney Channel originals moved to Nickelodeon and CN internationally.
And the Disney Magazines in europe didn't cease. They're still being published.

Last edited:
And Nickelodeon Germany not closing means SpongeBob would be dubbed in German in early 2000, it seems. It still uses the same dub.
Also, in this timeline's version of Toy Story, a quote that Mr Potato Head says to Woody and Jessie became a meme in 2020. It's 'looks like the both of you will get put in the attic!'

Last edited:

Deleted member 177304

- After the twin successes of Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series, WB mandates that all DC animation be set in the DCAU
- Guillermo Del Torro directs the Harry Potter films
- The 2002 He-Man series isn't cancelled and runs for several seasons
- Spongebob ends after the 2004 movie, afterwhich Nickelodeon pivots to action cartoons such as Danny Phantom, Avatar, TMNT, ect
- Shrek 3 features King Arthur as the main antagonist attempting to usurp King Shrek
- Bryan Singer's Superman Returns falls into production hell and is cancelled
- The 2007 Writers Guild Strike is averted after a last-minute deal is reached
- Transformers is directed by Ridley Scott, spawing a trilogy that ends with a Autobot-Decepticon faceoff against Unicron
- Man of Steel is directed by George Miller and released in 2009, launching the DCMU
- Paramount acquires the film rights to Percy Jackson and the Olympians, creating a quintilogy directed by Martin Scorsese
- After the failure of the initial pilot, Game of Thrones is turned down by HBO
- In lieu of Game of Thrones, HBO greenlights a Hobbit miniseries starring Peter Dinklage as Bilbo.
- Legend of Korra runs for three seasons with twenty episodes per season
- A Witcher TV Series premiers on HBO in 2017
- George R.R Martin finishes WOW in 2018 and ADOS in 2023

- After the twin successes of Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series, WB mandates that all DC animation be set in the DCAU
I can't stay mad at that mandate. Who hates those two shows in particular?
- Guillermo Del Toro directs the Harry Potter films
Okay, but does JK Rowling still become a terf?
- The 2002 He-Man series isn't cancelled and runs for several seasons
Yes!
- Spongebob ends after the 2004 movie, afterwhich Nickelodeon pivots to action cartoons such as Danny Phantom, Avatar, TMNT, ect
Not a bad idea. Would this mean Fairly OddParents ends early, in favor of Crash Nebula?
- Shrek 3 features King Arthur as the main antagonist attempting to usurp King Shrek
Daring choice to make King Arthur the villain.
- Bryan Singer's Superman Returns falls into production hell and is cancelled
Mixed opinions about that decision, but alright.
- The 2007 Writers Guild Strike is averted after a last-minute deal is reached
YES!
- Transformers is directed by Ridley Scott, spawing a trilogy that ends with a Autobot-Decepticon faceoff against Unicron
Beautiful. Just beautiful.
- Man of Steel is directed by George Miller and released in 2009, launching the DCMU
Excellent alternative.
- Paramount acquires the film rights to Percy Jackson and the Olympians, creating a quintilogy directed by Martin Scorsese
Didn't Disney publish the books through their Hyperion label? If that isn't the case ITTL, then I would consider that a missed opportunity.

Besides that, five movies and the comeback of Martin Scorsese is nothing to sneeze at.
- After the failure of the initial pilot, Game of Thrones is turned down by HBO
Couldn't it just be a one-season wonder?
- In lieu of Game of Thrones, HBO greenlights a Hobbit miniseries starring Peter Dinklage as Bilbo.
Okay, I can see this as a good alternative here.
- Legend of Korra runs for three seasons with twenty episodes per season
YES!
- A Witcher TV Series premiers on HBO in 2017
Sweet!
- George R.R Martin finishes WOW in 2018 and ADOS in 2023
Superb!

Deleted member 177304

I can't stay mad at that mandate. Who hates those two shows in particular?

Okay, but does JK Rowling still become a terf?

Yes!

Not a bad idea. Would this mean Fairly OddParents ends early, in favor of Crash Nebula?

Daring choice to make King Arthur the villain.

Mixed opinions about that decision, but alright.

YES!

Beautiful. Just beautiful.

Excellent alternative.

Didn't Disney publish the books through their Hyperion label? If that isn't the case ITTL, then I would consider that a missed opportunity.

Besides that, five movies and the comeback of Martin Scorsese is nothing to sneeze at.

Couldn't it just be a one-season wonder?

Okay, I can see this as a good alternative here.

YES!

Sweet!

Superb!

- Thanks

- I won't go there, since this isn't the politics thread

- Thanks. I always thought He-Man 2002 was a criminally underrated show

- I imagine it does, with Channel Chasers as it's series finale. Since I mentioned Nick pivoting to action cartoons, Crash Nebula probably gets greenlit to pad out the lineup

- I feel like having King Arthur as the villain actually fits the vibe of Shrek better given that series' bread and butter is the satirical deconstruction of classic fairy tales

- I thought Superman Returns was a heartfelt but deeply flawed love letter to the character, but for practical reasons it's probably for the best for it to get canned

- Thanks. I won't judge the Writers for asserting their rights as workers, but the Writer's Guild Strike had many corrosive effects on the entertainment industry

- Thanks. I think Ridley Scott would've done Transformers way more justice

- Yeah, I was inspired by the fact that George Miller IRL was going to direct a Justice League movie but it was canned after the Writer's Guild Strike

- Yes, but Fox had the film rights until they were bought out by Disney

- I think it would've just gone the OTL course if it was a "one season wonder", besides that, IOTL the initial pilot was actually a disaster until it was remade from the ground up.

- Thanks, given his OTL career I thought Peter Dinklage would make a perfect Bilbo. Since GOT didn't pan out ITTL, I figured HBO might turn to a fantasy franchise that's already borne their parent company fruit

- Thanks

- Thanks, I imagine TTTL's Witcher TV Show takes the place of OTL's GOT

- Thanks. I imagine that ITTL without the GOT TV series Martin has more free time to write. An ASOIAF TV series might still get made, but it isn't until the 2020s at least

- I won't go there, since this isn't the politics thread
Props for holding yourself back.
- Thanks. I always thought He-Man 2002 was a criminally underrated show
I mean, the 1983 cartoon ran for over 100 episodes. Why should the 2002 reboot run for less than half that?
- I imagine it does, with Channel Chasers as it's series finale. Since I mentioned Nick pivoting to action cartoons, Crash Nebula probably gets greenlit to pad out the lineup
I thought so, and what a finale to go out on.
- I feel like having King Arthur as the villain actually fits the vibe of Shrek better given that series' bread and butter is the satirical deconstruction of classic fairy tales
You're not wrong. Especially if we keep their interpretation of Merlin as an insult to The Sword in the Stone.
- I thought Superman Returns was a heartfelt but deeply flawed love letter to the character, but for practical reasons it's probably for the best for it to get canned
May I ask why you feel this way towards it?
- Thanks. I won't judge the Writers for asserting their rights as workers, but the Writer's Guild Strike had many corrosive effects on the entertainment industry
Ouch.
- Thanks. I think Ridley Scott would've done Transformers way more justice
Well, it's not like his first sci-fi franchise was any good in the 2000s. If you know what I mean.
- Yeah, I was inspired by the fact that George Miller IRL was going to direct a Justice League movie but it was canned after the Writer's Guild Strike
I didn't know that.
- Yes, but Fox had the film rights until they were bought out by Disney
Okay. Couldn't the Percy Jackson movies revitalize Touchstone Pictures instead? Not that Paramount is a bad idea for those movies or anything.
- I think it would've just gone the OTL course if it was a "one season wonder", besides that, IOTL the initial pilot was actually a disaster until it was remade from the ground up.
Oof.
- Thanks, given his OTL career I thought Peter Dinklage would make a perfect Bilbo. Since GOT didn't pan out ITTL, I figured HBO might turn to a fantasy franchise that's already borne their parent company fruit
Well, he did complain about the Snow White reboot, despite making for a perfect Grumpy. Just saying.
- Thanks, I imagine TTTL's Witcher TV Show takes the place of OTL's GOT
That might be a good thing.
- Thanks. I imagine that ITTL without the GOT TV series Martin has more free time to write. An ASOIAF TV series might still get made, but it isn't until the 2020s at least
Great point.

Deleted member 177304

Props for holding yourself back.

I mean, the 1983 cartoon ran for over 100 episodes. Why should the 2002 reboot run for less than half that?

I thought so, and what a finale to go out on.

You're not wrong. Especially if we keep their interpretation of Merlin as an insult to The Sword in the Stone.

May I ask why you feel this way towards it?

Ouch.

Well, it's not like his first sci-fi franchise was any good in the 2000s. If you know what I mean.

I didn't know that.

Okay. Couldn't the Percy Jackson movies revitalize Touchstone Pictures instead? Not that Paramount is a bad idea for those movies or anything.

Oof.

Well, he did complain about the Snow White reboot, despite making for a perfect Grumpy. Just saying.

That might be a good thing.

Great point.

To address my various opinions, out of order (sorry)

- The failure of Superman Returns, when coupled with success of the Nolan Batman Trilogy, seemingly convinced Warner Bros. that dark, angsty heroes are what works, but in reality that's only ever worked for Batman. No Superman Returns gives less credence to "Emo Superman"

- ITTL Peter Dinklage doesn't have to worry about being typecast as "fantasy dwarf guy", plus without GOT he's presumably less successful and doesn't hesitate to star in a work as iconic as The Hobbit

- I suppose the Percy Jackson Films could just be made by Touchstone. I suppose I was thinking too much in OTL terms

To address my various opinions, out of order (sorry)
It's okay. I don't care if your addresses are out of order.
- The failure of Superman Returns, when coupled with success of the Nolan Batman Trilogy, seemingly convinced Warner Bros. that dark, angsty heroes are what works, but in reality that's only ever worked for Batman. No Superman Returns gives less credence to "Emo Superman"
I'd chalk that up to Warner Bros. being more idiotic than the fictional town of Springfield. Not to the failure of Superman Returns.

But sure, I'd cancel that movie if it means Superman remains America's beacon.
- ITTL Peter Dinklage doesn't have to worry about being typecast as "fantasy dwarf guy", plus without GOT he's presumably less successful and doesn't hesitate to star in a work as iconic as The Hobbit
I see. Thank you.
- I suppose the Percy Jackson Films could just be made by Touchstone. I suppose I was thinking too much in OTL terms
That's okay. I also think too much in OTL terms.

Disney Branded Television goes defunct in 2008, with the US Disney Channel closing forever in 2010. Most of their shows are moved to other channels, and Nick Jr even ended up getting Mickey Mouse Clubhouse in a few countries after the Disney channels had already shut down there.
Why would Disney Channel go off the air? Is there a reason why it would go off the air?
In the Netherlands, instead of being aired subtitled, The Simpsons (titled De Simpsons) is aired with Dutch dubbing.
I can understand having a Dutch dub for a show or movie for obvious reasons, but I thought most Dutch people were happy enough with The Simpsons (and other shows with a teenage/adult audience for that matter) airing in its original English with Dutch subtitles.

Why would Disney Channel go off the air? Is there a reason why it would go off the air?
There was not enough original programming to keep it afloat. This statement is made even worse with the fact that Phineas and Ferb is on Nickelodeon in this timeline and had already ended it's run by this point. Most of the original programming was preschool shows, which were not the main focus of Disney Channel, forcing it into closure.
Most of the international feeds were shuttered in 2009, with six feeds lasting past January 1, 2010:
Disney Channel UK closed on February 5, 2010.
Disney Channel Australia closed on April 30, 2010,
Disney Channel Brazil closed on October 23, 2009.
Disney Channel in LATAM closed on March 19, 2010.
Disney Channel France closed on November 13, 2009.
Disney Channel Italy closed on January 15, 2010.
Disney Channel Germany closed on August 21, 2009.
Disney Channel Japan closed on February 26, 2010.
Disney Channel Spain closed on April 9, 2010, ending the channel's presence in Europe.
Disney Channel Portugal closed on December 25, 2009.
Disney Channel in Scandinavia closed on May 22, 2009, starting the worldwide closure.
Disney Channel Poland closed on July 3, 2009.
Disney Channel Turkey closed on December 4, 2009.

And none of these feeds had ever aired Fairly OddParents, because seasons 1-4 weren't sold to Nelvana.

Last edited:
I can understand having a Dutch dub for a show or movie for obvious reasons, but I thought most Dutch people were happy enough with The Simpsons (and other shows with a teenage/adult audience for that matter) airing in its original English with Dutch subtitles.
The english version does still air in the netherlands, but only late at night, just like what Nickelodeon Netherlands does to it's shows. But all daytime airings of Simpsons in the netherlands are in dutch in this timeline. The dub also premiered in 1992.

Last edited:
There was not enough original programming to keep it afloat. This statement is made even worse with the fact that Phineas and Ferb is on Nickelodeon in this timeline and had already ended it's run by this point. Most of the original programming was preschool shows, which were not the main focus of Disney Channel, forcing it into closure.
Most of the international feeds were shuttered in 2009, with six feeds lasting past January 1, 2010:
Disney Channel UK closed on February 5, 2010.
Disney Channel Australia closed on April 30, 2010,
Disney Channel Brazil closed on October 23, 2009.
Disney Channel in LATAM closed on March 19, 2010.
Disney Channel France closed on November 13, 2009.
Disney Channel Italy closed on January 15, 2010.
Disney Channel Germany closed on August 21, 2009.
Disney Channel Japan closed on February 26, 2010.
Disney Channel Spain closed on April 9, 2010, ending the channel's presence in Europe.
Disney Channel Portugal closed on December 25, 2009.
Disney Channel in Scandinavia closed on May 22, 2009, starting the worldwide closure.
Disney Channel Poland closed on July 3, 2009.
Disney Channel Turkey closed on December 4, 2009.

And none of these feeds had ever aired Fairly OddParents, because seasons 1-4 weren't sold to Nelvana.
Well, R.I.P. Disney Channel then. I guess with Phineas and Ferb airing on Nick back in the late 90s and early 2000s, Disney doesn't have any new animated shows. However, with all the butterflies, I'm surprised Disney didn't try to greenlight more animated shows besides the ones airing on Playhouse Disney.
The English version does still air in the Netherlands, but only late at night, just like what Nickelodeon Netherlands does to its shows. But all daytime airings of The Simpsons in the Netherlands are in Dutch in this timeline. The dub also premiered in 1992.
Eh, I can live with that. I do wonder what a Dutch dub of The Simpsons would look like.

I do know that The Simpsons Movie in OTL actually got a Dutch dub for either theater releases or DVD or both along with the original English version with Dutch subtitles also playing in theaters.

Thanks for the explanations, Spongechum.

Postman Pat premieres in the US on PBS in 1987.
Nice to see Postman Pat come to America. I do wonder though, why didn't airing over here in the first place? If we could get Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder and Fireman Sam over here, why not Postman Pat?
Shining Time Station doesn't exist, and Thomas and Friends premieres in the US as a standalone show in it's place.
Shining Time Station was before my time, so I don't really have an opinion on it. Though I did hear that most kids watched it simply for Thomas. I should note that if Shining Time Station never exists, that will probably butterfly away Thomas and the Magic Railroad unless the film has a very different plot.
Also, in the show's third season, Emily, Stanley, Lady, Rosie, Molly and Salty are introduced. The miniature railway is introduced in season 4.
I honestly would have the Arlesdale Railway engines (Rex, Mike and Bert) be introduced during the third season so that their four stories from the Railway Series book Small Railway Engines can be made to air alongside the Duck and Oliver stories of the third season. The small engines can still be in the fourth season of course, and they can appear in the episode Sleeping Beauty where they help in the search to find Duke like the did in the original Railway Series story.

As for five of the six characters you mentioned that you wanted introduced during the third season, I'm honestly not sure about. Lady on the other hand probably wouldn't exist without Thomas and the Magic Railroad and without Shining Time station never existing, she probably won't ever be created.

Phineas and Ferb is greenlit by Nickelodeon in 1995, and premieres in June 1996, running until 2002.
I did hear about Phineas and Ferb being thought about for a little over a decade before its premiere on Disney Channel. I wonder what an earlier version of the show airing on Nickelodeon as a Nicktoon would've been like. Sound like a cool alternate history scenario I could get behind.
Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl appears in the first Toy Story movie and is Woody's love interest, who also gets lost at Sid's house with him and Buzz. Despite this, Bo Peep still has a secret crush on Woody.
With that, Toy Story 2 is either butterflied away or has a very different plot altogether. Is Jessie at least still voiced by Joan Cusack?

Jetix international is never rebranded for reasons above.
Eh, whatever. I'm neutral about this given I didn't watch Toon Disney or Jetix that much during my childhood.

The first four seasons of Fairly Odd Parents are never sold to Nelvana, with these instead airing on Nickelodeon worldwide.
Wait, the Fairly Odd Parents had their broadcasting rights for its first four seasons sold to Nelvana and aired on other channel around the world instead of on each other countries version of Nickelodeon? Weird. I'm glad that the show will air on its normal channel worldwide.

However, I did hear about the show airing on the Middle Eastern version of Disney channel instead of Nickelodeon back in the 2000s.

Nickelodeon Germany doesn't shut down in 1998, as KiKa wasn't popular enough to exterminate it. The channel becomes free-to-air in 2004.
It sucks that the original German version of Nickelodeon had to go off the air in 1998 due to low viewership. Glad it survives here.

Nice to see Postman Pat come to America. I do wonder though, why didn't airing over here in the first place? If we could get Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder and Fireman Sam over here, why not Postman Pat?

As for five of the six characters you mentioned that you wanted introduced during the third season, I'm honestly not sure about. Lady on the other hand probably wouldn't exist without Thomas and the Magic Railroad and without Shining Time station never existing, she probably won't ever be created.

With that, Toy Story 2 is either butterflied away or has a very different plot altogether. Is Jessie at least still voiced by Joan Cusack?
Postman Pat briefly did air in America in the mid-2000's in real life, but it was a failure.
This version of Lady isn't magical and is based on a GWR 101 class.
Toy Story 2's mostly the same, except Al doesn't have a Jessie doll before the movie takes place, so she gets stolen too. also, Bullseye is blamed for turning on the TV, so the famous 'if the boot fits' scene is not included either . The original 1997 garbage script never existed either. Joan Cusack was still hired by Pixar, but five years earlier. Jessie's song is also butterflied due to her not having been abandoned. Instead, Stinky Pete makes Woody and Jessie believe they'll be seperated in the future. However, we DON'T lose Mr. Angry Eyes!

I've also thought about Club Penguin closing at the end of 2020 in this timeline instead of March 30, 2017.

Last edited:
Postman Pat briefly did air in America in the mid-2000's in real life, but it was a failure.
It did? What channel did it air on?
This version of Lady isn't magical and is based on a GWR 101 class.
You know, Lady kind of does look like a Great Western 101 class, although modified quite a bit.
Toy Story 2's mostly the same, except Al doesn't have a Jessie doll before the movie takes place, so she gets stolen too. also, Bullseye is blamed for turning on the TV, so the famous 'if the boot fits' scene is not included either . The original 1997 garbage script never existed either. Joan Cusack was still hired by Pixar, but five years earlier. Jessie's song is also butterflied due to her not having been abandoned. Instead, Stinky Pete makes Woody and Jessie believe they'll be separated in the future. However, we DON'T lose Mr. Angry Eyes!
Glad to see Toy Story 2 is still made.

I've also thought about Club Penguin closing at the end of 2020 in this timeline instead of March 30, 2017.
Glad to hear about Club Penguin lasting for another three years, though it still becomes one of the tragedies of 2020.

It did? What channel did it air on?

Glad to hear about Club Penguin lasting for another three years, though it still becomes one of the tragedies of 2020.
Postman Pat aired on Qubo, but it wasn't dubbed. In my timeline, they did dub the show.
Club Penguin closed due to flash player ending, obviously.
In did get a few more languages added after Russian was added in 2014.
Italian: added July 2015
Dutch: added April 2017
Turkish: added November 2018
Just some pretty well-known european languages.

Last edited: