Your Personal Pop Culture Utopia timeline

Western Animation loses its stigma due to:
1. The 1915 Mutual Decision narrowly rules in favor of movies being free speech. Instead of OTL’s Hays Code, a different regulation body - the American Film Classification Council - is implemented in 1933 as an MPAA style body. The ratings are as follows: G (General Audiences), P (Parental Guidance Suggested), T (Teen; not added until 1957), R (Must Be With Adult), and X (No One Under 17). This gives filmmakers more artistic freedom by giving them a higher rating, while allowing families a family friendly option. This allows animated films and short subjects in the 30s/40s/50s to be edgier.
2. The United States Government creates a public broadcaster in the 1920s called The People’s Network (TPN), stronger than OTL’s PBS and on par with OTL’s BBC in Britain. The creation of a public broadcaster results in TV NOT being marketed as a way to keep kids quiet in the 1950s. This allows for animated shows to aim for an adult audience in the 1960s/1970s.
Good stuff!

In all honesty, in an ideal utopia Disney should actually be pruned significantly. Take a look at how much shit they own in our world and try to tell me with a straight face giving them MORE stuff wouldn't make things worse...

Does TPN go with the European style of formatting channels (like TPN 1, TPN 2, TPN 3 and TPN 4)?
Yes. On the TV side there is:
  • TPN 1 (launched in 1941, general audiences)
  • TPN 2 (launched in 1965, racial minorities and LGBT audiences)
  • TPN 3 (launched in 2003, niche programming)
  • TPN 4 (launched in 2010, classic reruns)
  • Kids’ TPN (children’s channel like OTL’s Qubo, launched in 1960 as a block on TPN 1, 2005 as a separate channel)
  • TPN Sports (sports channel, launched 2009)

The People’s Network is more like a European/Commonwealth type public broadcaster than like OTL’s PBS. Said networks can air non-educational kids programing alongside educational ones.
Nice!
Does TPN go with the European style of formatting channels (like TPN 1, TPN 2, TPN 3 and TPN 4)?
That would be a great idea!
Good stuff!
I know right?
In all honesty, in an ideal utopia Disney should actually be pruned significantly. Take a look at how much shit they own in our world and try to tell me with a straight face giving them MORE stuff wouldn't make things worse...
Exactly.......
Yes. On the TV side there is:
  • TPN 1 (launched in 1941, general audiences)
  • TPN 2 (launched in 1965, racial minorities and LGBT audiences)
  • TPN 3 (launched in 2003, niche programming)
  • TPN 4 (launched in 2010, classic reruns)
  • Kids’ TPN (children’s channel like OTL’s Qubo, launched in 1960 as a block on TPN 1, 2005 as a separate channel)
  • TPN Sports (sports channel, launched 2009)
Cool! But why so late?

Will broadcast TV be more like what it is in Europe ITTL?

And for potential inspiration:

1. I’m afraid not. Disney, Warner Bros, and United Artists are all under the same umbrella. American Zoetrope is used to make Star Wars, with Lucas founding Lucasfilm a decade later than OTL to work on non-Buena Vista projects.
Oh.....................................

How........did..........all.....of......this........happen?.........Let's talk about it in the PMs............
2. Vitaphone is the former sound-on-film division repurposed in the 1960s for dubbing Anime for markets in North America, British Isles, Southern Africa and Oceania. They primarily have deals with studios such as Toei Animation, OLM, and Madhouse.
Cool! What anime do they bring over, aside from Doraemon? I have ideas if you wanna hear them in the PM.
Jetix is like Toonami as a TV network and Crunchyroll as a streaming service.
AWESOME!

So what's the company's main streaming service?
3. WDWFA and WDWTA primarily deal with original concepts, while Games Animation deals with IP projects such as animated shows in Star Wars and Marvel, and shows for Nickelodeon. They’re also like DisneyToon Studios in that they deal with lower budget animated movies (BUT NOT DIRECT TO VIDEO).

Ironic that the smaller studio does IP-based animation........
BVNA does anime projects such as Doraemon.
Cool!
4. ITTL, The Disney Channel never jumped to basic cable and stayed premium - focusing on airing all Disney movies and high quality originals like HBO.
Okay, so basically a family-friendly version of HBO?

Speaking of which, what would happen to that after Time doesn't merge with Warner Bros. ITTL? My suggestion? Put it under MGM/Columbia.

Also, what will be the animation studios of TTL ranged by each major and mini-major studio and even indie studios?
While Nickelodeon became known for their own kids sitcoms (but no Dan Schneider) and is basic cable.
What about the cartoons?

With all that cartoon library, then Nicktoons should launch in the 90s as a basic cable channel, and WITHOUT the Nick branding.....

Does MTV still get into animation? If so, then I wanna word with TTL's MTV.........
Disney’s OTL animated shows still exist, but air on TPN 1/Kid’s TPN (TTL’s PBS/PBS Kids) instead.
Why not on Nickelodeon?
TTL’s Disney Channel sitcoms are produced by Touchstone.
I thought you said Touchstone wasn't owned by Disney........
5. Atari was bought by Disney and had more quality control and the 1983 crash never happened. They team up with Nintendo and market the NES in Western countries as the “Atari Famicom Entertainment System”. This partnership continues into the present day. Atari also buys Apple and blurs the line between handheld gaming and mobile gaming - resulting in both having much more quality control.
AWESOME!!!!
At least Disney still does kids sitcoms through Nickelodeon, and they have both basic and premium cable covered on the small screen. But why and/or how do the likes of DuckTales, Recess, or Kim Possible qualify for PBS material?
Right.....
You're saying that Disney now owns Apple? Huh?
Yeah, interesting.............
Western Animation loses its stigma due to:
1. The 1915 Mutual Decision narrowly rules in favor of movies being free speech. Instead of OTL’s Hays Code, a different regulation body - the American Film Classification Council - is implemented in 1933 as an MPAA style body. The ratings are as follows: G (General Audiences), P (Parental Guidance Suggested), T (Teen; not added until 1957), R (Must Be With Adult), and X (No One Under 17). This gives filmmakers more artistic freedom by giving them a higher rating, while allowing families a family friendly option. This allows animated films and short subjects in the 30s/40s/50s to be edgier.
Okay, this is awesome!
2. The United States Government creates a public broadcaster in the 1920s called The People’s Network (TPN), stronger than OTL’s PBS and on par with OTL’s BBC in Britain. The creation of a public broadcaster results in TV NOT being marketed as a way to keep kids quiet in the 1950s. This allows for animated shows to aim for an adult audience in the 1960s/1970s.
THANK GOD!!!!!!!!!!
Apple is less successful and is absorbed into Atari by 1999.
Oof........What happens that Apple is less successful? Lemme guess, the f###ing Bandai Pippin?
In the 2000s, Atari releases the Game Boy Pod, a foldable game console capable of not only video games but also playing music. This eventually culminates in the Game Phone in 2010, a touchscreen device that can be hooked up to a special console dock - basically a hybrid of the iPhone and Nintendo Switch.

I WANT TO F@@@ING LIVE IN THIS WORLD NOW!!!!!!

What will be the assets of the other companies?

Hypothetical question: Let's say you were given the choice to go live in a world where, politically, it has worked out exactly how you would want it to. The leaders you like consistently get elected, the parties/ideologies you like consistently overwhelm everyone else in popularity, etc.

However, in terms of culture/entertainment, this world is pure dogshit, the only things anyone is ever interested in talking about or creating being things that make you want to rip your hair out for being so bad. All literature, television, music, theater, video games, etc. Any attempt to change this will be met with utter dismissal as nobody will be interested. Your own personal pop culture dystopia if you will.

Would you agree to go live in this world?

Well, to be honest, on the one hand, part of the media products that I love arose due to the fact that the story went in an "undesirable direction." On the other hand, internal and external unity is still desirable for me - that is, it needs to be good on the outside and good on the inside.

Well, to be honest, on the one hand, part of the media products that I love arose due to the fact that the story went in an "undesirable direction." On the other hand, internal and external unity is still desirable for me - that is, it needs to be good on the outside and good on the inside.
I'm...not really sure what you mean tbh

I'm...not really sure what you mean tbh
I'll try to expand the idea.

If the story would have gone for me in the best way, then not the fact that I personally like it would have been preserved. For example, the Sex Pistols group might not have appeared.

On the other hand, part of my "utopia" is that society is arranged in such a way that there can be no mass production of cultural garbage.

Hypothetical question: Let's say you were given the choice to go live in a world where, politically, it has worked out exactly how you would want it to. The leaders you like consistently get elected, the parties/ideologies you like consistently overwhelm everyone else in popularity, etc.

However, in terms of culture/entertainment, this world is pure dogshit,...
First idea: hell yeah. Personally I'll go from being a political dissident to a cultural dissident, but at least my children (in this world I would have them) could grow up knowing no one will try to nuke them to pieces or just slowly poison them with chemical byproducts. Rick Astley is a small price to pay for that.

Then again, as your post states that "The leaders you like consistently get elected, the parties/ideologies you like consistently overwhelm everyone else in popularity, etc." I don't know if this world would really be better than the one we live in right now, I have a terrible track record when it comes to politics. So overall, I would end up in 1970's East Germany politically and culturally.

I'll try to expand the idea.

If the story would have gone for me in the best way, then not the fact that I personally like it would have been preserved. For example, the Sex Pistols group might not have appeared.

On the other hand, part of my "utopia" is that society is arranged in such a way that there can be no mass production of cultural garbage.
Well, I'm still not sure if you would agree to go live in that world or not.

Then again, as your post states that "The leaders you like consistently get elected, the parties/ideologies you like consistently overwhelm everyone else in popularity, etc." I don't know if this world would really be better than the one we live in right now, I have a terrible track record when it comes to politics. So overall, I would end up in 1970's East Germany politically and culturally.
Well then I suppose my question is if you know that your choice of politics would have such bad results, why name them as your preffered form?

However, in terms of culture/entertainment, this world is pure dogshit, the only things anyone is ever interested in talking about or creating being things that make you want to rip your hair out for being so bad. All literature, television, music, theater, video games, etc. Any attempt to change this will be met with utter dismissal as nobody will be interested. Your own personal pop culture dystopia if you will.

I mean... I have difficulty imagining that. While I have my likes and dislikes, I wouldn't find matters a cultural dystopia. Namely because of the overlap between culture and politics. I'd find it difficult that all entertainment would be rendered terrible in how I view the world within my sphere of politics. Like... I could live in this world, I just find it difficult to accept how some of this could actually work XD.

I mean... I have difficulty imagining that. While I have my likes and dislikes, I wouldn't find matters a cultural dystopia. Namely because of the overlap between culture and politics. I'd find it difficult that all entertainment would be rendered terrible in how I view the world within my sphere of politics. Like... I could live in this world, I just find it difficult to accept how some of this could actually work XD.
Culture isn't necessarily bad in terms of its politics, it's just all really really bad in a more fundamental way. The stories are all stuff you find incredibly boring or annoying to sit through even if they ostensibly share your ideals, the music is all of genres you don't like, etc.

• Nintendo and Philips work together to release the SNES-CD
  • This results in a competitive four-way console war between Nintendo, Sony, Sega and Microsoft
  • Final Fantasy IV, V and VI are cartridge SNES exclusives that see global release.
  • The Donkey Kong Country trilogy are SNES-CD games
  • Selena Quintanila-Perez never gets murdered.
  • Warner Bros. never acquires the rights to the MGM and RKO libraries.
  • The Star Wars Trilogy's only cut is the theatrical cut
  • There exist aftermarket releases on the Laserdisc format
  • People understand how to separate fiction from reality, and bullying people because of fictional ships is frowned upon.

Culture isn't necessarily bad in terms of its politics, it's just all really really bad in a more fundamental way. The stories are all stuff you find incredibly boring or annoying to sit through even if they ostensibly share your ideals, the music is all of genres you don't like, etc.
I mean... like, I don't really dislike any real genre of music. Like, I'm no fan of country music, but given how my politics skew heavily to the left, the country music, would, by its nature be different. It may be a bit boring or not my cup of tea, but I doubt it would be all the same.

The problem is that how would this actually work?