Your Name in the Dominion of Southern America

Glen

We are fast entering the time when new figures, unrelated to those known to OTL, will emerge in the Dominion of Southern America timeline. If you would like to offer your name, and/or a name of your ancestors for use in the timeline, here is where you may volunteer. Note that the characters who show up in the timeline will not be your or your ancestors - just to be clear - though they may be alternate timeline relatives potentially. It would thus also be useful if you could give some ethnic information about the name you proffer.

Let the names begin!

Wolfpaw

Banned
I had an ancestor named Max Wolf (formerly Yanowitz [thank God we changed the name]) who came to America in 1878. He was a Jew from a shtetl outside of Odessa and was born in May of 1858.

The Dude

Banned
I belong to the Pickerings! That's right, the Pickerings, who included John Pickering, the first federal judge to be impeached, and Timothy Pickering, Secretary of State to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, as well as a Senator from Massachusetts! There's probably quite a bit of info you can find yourself. If you do eventually get to this point in your TL, you could use my grandfather, Thomas Reeves Pickering.

I had an ancestor named Stetson (I forget his first name-I'd offer Richard, after my grandfather) who came as part of the British army to defend the earliest British colonies. I think he'd definitely be a part

*Yes, I am distantly related to the Stetson Hats people. To my knowledge, all people in the USA named Stetson are descended from this man.

Victoria Saigh (I don't know the original Arabic name, but she took her first name from Queen Victoria and the surname is an Anglicization of her name) came to the US in 1910 or so from Syria. If that's too late, you could always have her grandfather Yousef show up. Oh yeah, they were Christian Arabs btw.

I don't know the names, but it may interest you that in Taos, New Mexico there lived a family of Crypto-Jews who eventually became Catholic throughout the centuries. However, they were still distrusted by their neighbors even though they were now Catholic. By the time they had gained acceptance, American Protestants that immigrated to New Mexico shunned them for their Catholicism :p They were Hispanic, with a bit of Taos Indian in them (which did not help their popularity).

My grandfather who has recently passed, Ruben Cobos (google him) was quite famous though he certainly would be butterflied away since he was born in 1911 in Piedras Negras, Mexico (then Ciudad Porfirio Diaz!). However it would be nice to see an analogue. His grandmother was a Polish Jew, though the rest of the family were typical Catholic Mestizo Mexicans (she gave him a Jewish name as a tradeoff for him being raised Catholic).

Glen

Ringo Starr said:
Glen said:
Ringo Starr said:
I would like to submit a name. Felipe Salcedo.

Okay - can you tell me anything about the ethnic background that goes with this name?

It's a Hispanicized version of a Basque name. That's pretty much it.

Got it. Keep reading the Dominion of Southern America - I'm sure it will show up sometime...

I had an ancestor named William Beck who arrived in Philadelphia from Germany sometime in the 1820s, I think. My Irish relatives came in through Ellis Island around 1900, so I don't think they'd be that useful.

My Great Grandfather was named Anthony Sciolaro. He came from the town of Mezzojuso near Palermo. He always told us that he came from Palermo itself and lied about ever being in Mezzojuso, so we think that he may have had mob issues. When he got to the US he started the Roma Bakery in Kansas city. His last word to my father was Mangiare.

Last edited:
William Parker Foulke.

He was born in 1816, died 1865. IOTL he discovered the first full dinosaur skeleton in New Jersey, 1858. He is descended from a Welsh immigrant who came to Pennsylvania in 1699. He would be a good choice if you ever want to discuss science or anthropology in your timeline.

Haha. Looking for name-drops, eh Glen? I like it.

Alright, I'll volunteer my name for a laugh. Unlike the other posters above, I neither have any relation to anyone famous from this era nor does my (direct) family have any ties with the USA (I post during US hours purely because I can't be bothered to go to bed) but I'll drop my name purely for the fun of seeing what interesting character you end up making of it. My surname is Rossall. By all means you can use my first name (Matthew) too, but since it wasn't really a common name in the era of your TL, it might not fit so by all means use a different one.

Since everyone else has provided a little history, I'll give you what I know about my name, if just for a laugh. My surname is very rare comparatively (I think there's only a few hundred Rossalls in the UK, and only a couple of thousand worldwide) so unsurprisingly there's not much to tell. I do know that the name first appears in connection with a Manor of Rossall in Lancashire (England, obv.). The manor house has now since crumbled into the sea but gave its name to a prestigious private school which even invented its own form of hockey in the same era that the codes of football ("soccer" that is) were being invented. You can even Wikipedia "Rossall Hockey" though goodness knows why it deserves it's own article. Also, apparently a Rossall (or to be more precise, "Rossal") was one of the 12 founding members of the Knights Templar. That's about the last interesting stuff to do with my surname's history, and that stuff happened about 550 years before your POD...I really only added it as filler for my post.

So...yeah. Looking forward to maybe seeing some totally random character do something totally unexpected (which was the sole reason I posted on this thread in the first place...). No obligation, of course.

Feel free to use my surname, Korsgaard. On paternal side of the family, are immigrants from Denmark. My mother's side on the other hand, have been in the USA since the American Revolution, spread in an arc from Virginia to Illinois, and courtesy of my grandfather, we have a fairly well fleshed out family tree, so if you need names, feel free to ask.

Feel free to use my surname, Korsgaard. On paternal side of the family, are immigrants from Denmark. My mother's side on the other hand, have been in the USA since the American Revolution, spread in an arc from Virginia to Illinois, and courtesy of my grandfather, we have a fairly well fleshed out family tree, so if you need names, feel free to ask.
Korsgaard? That's a pretty cool last name.

If someone was named Zeus Korsgaard, I'd elect him if he ran for Dictator-for-Life of the Entire World.

Korsgaard? That's a pretty cool last name.

If someone was named Zeus Korsgaard, I'd elect him if he ran for Dictator-for-Life of the Entire World.

Thank you for the complemint! Alas, my first name is Sean, but I may consider Zeus now, thank you.

I have a great (possibly add another great?) grandfather who immigrated from Munich, name of Max Braun. Eventually the family ended up in Seattle where we are now.

But on my moms side we have the Farmer family which we can trace back to one of the original settlements in Virginia and they ended up in Kansas, and were some of the founders of the Kansas City Board of Trade. But back in Virginia we were originally the Lynchs, as in Lynchburg, VA is named after a particularly famous ancestor, whose name also became a rather horrible term for hanging someone by mob. And one of us was a signer on the Declaration of Independence, I can't remember which one though. I hope that's some nice back story to work with.

Though I don't have any known persons to offer, you are welcome to use my family's surnames. My maternal ancestors (Gutierrez, Reynaga and Castellanos) hail from Jalisco in Mexico, and my paternal line is split between the Rivera from Guanajuato and Quintana from Tamaulipas.

Though I'm not 100% certain (though since this is a ATL I guess it's irrelevant) my ancestors from Jalisco may have supported the clerical movements in Mexico as late as the Cristero Wars, so if you have any Clerical movement planned there in TTL feel free. :)

I got a ton of ancestors in this time! Most lived in Virginia and Tennese and came over from England in the 1670's No joke. The Settled in Staford County Virginia at the mouth of the Rappahanock. Thomas Owsley, my anscestor who came over (maybe the second one) the earliest was in the house of burgess, you can google him. Around the time of the Revolution my Family moved to Tennesee because of the open land at the time. After the Civil war they moved north to St. Louis, where i live today. Im a teenager if it helps.
I will be thrilled if any are used.
(These are only my Southern Anscestors)

WARNING, these are alot of names!

Great Grandparents-
  1. Famie Mills
  2. Delmar Wilson
Great Great Grandparents-
  1. Andrew Mills
  2. Frances Dunavut
  3. Harriet Dacus
  4. Charles Wilson
Great Great Great Grandparents-
  1. Amanda McCoy (She might be a immigrant im not sure)
  2. John Dacus
  3. Cenda Robinson
  4. Charles Wilson
  5. Dorcus Rogers
  6. Bejamin Mills
  7. Donney Holley
  8. Andrew Dunavunt
Great Great Great Great Grandparents- (Starts getting kind of vauge)

1. David Wilson
  2. Sarah Chambels
  3. Henry McCoy
  4. Margaret Oxford
  5. Mansfield Dacus
  6. Nancy Powers
  7. George Rogers
  8. Phama Johnson
  9. James Mills
  10. Nancy Davis
  11. James Holley
Great Great Great Great Great Grandparents-
  1. Stephen Rogers
  2. John Dacus Jr.
  3. Nancy Bramlet
Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandparents-

1. Mary Peake
  2. John Bramlett
  3. Mary Adkins
  4. John Dacus Sr.
Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandparents-

1. William Dacus
  2. Barbara Carter
  3. William Peake
Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandparents-
  1. Lucy Gregg
  2. John Peake III
  3. Henry Bramlett
EVERYTHING BEFORE THAT :D
  1. William Bramlett
  2. John Peake II
  3. John Peake I
  4. James Gregg
  5. Jane Owsley*(of whom im descended)
  6. Thomas Owsley Sr.
  7. Anne Harris
  8. William Harris
  9. Lucy Heaberd
  10. Thomas Gregg
  11. Poyntz Owsley*
  12. Thomas Owsley Jr.*
  13. Sarah Owsley*
  14. Mary Owsley*
  15. Anne Owsley*
*Children of Thomas Owsley

Im not going further since those would be names of people who lived in England in the 1500's

Good luck with the TL;)

Also will anyone be creditied for providing names?

Glen

Good stuff, folks. Some of these may be used soon, others it may be many months before they are used. Just depends on the needs of the timeline at that time, but these are definitely useful!

Okay, my last name, Hurst. Of course, this name and its home is very new to north America, 1958. However, the Hursts immigrated from either Scotland or England to New Zealand in the mid to late 19th century. If you care about New Zealand at all that is.

Glen

Okay, my last name, Hurst. Of course, this name and its home is very new to north America, 1958. However, the Hursts immigrated from either Scotland or England to New Zealand in the mid to late 19th century. If you care about New Zealand at all that is.

Oh, we care....