Your least favourite AH tropes & motifs

This is a goal that I feed with my own timeline. To try to present a World totally different from ours, with its qualities and its defects.
I already have many ideas in mind for the more or less long term on politics, war, religion, economy, morals... for the 2000's of my timeline.
The problem is that as a student I have little time to write lately.
Alas, that's also my problem... my student days are long since gone, but I have work and a pesky real-world life to deal with... barely have the time to eke out the few snippets of wisdom... or nonsense... or half-remembered historical dilettantism that is my current contribution to the forum :p

Alas, that's also my problem... my student days are long since gone, but I have work and a pesky real-world life to deal with... barely have the time to eke out the few snippets of wisdom... or nonsense... or half-remembered historical dilettantism that is my current contribution to the forum :p

In addition to a full-time job, I've also got Pathfinder Society as an additional hobby taking time away from research and writing. Doubly so nowadays that I'm serving as GM as well as a player in a lot of games.

There's also a third camp which is Butterfly Extermination Camp. Which goes "I don't care if the POD is Byzantium surviving, we will have French Revolution, Napoleon, Bismarck, WW1 with Byzantines in the place of the Ottomans. And we'll have a WW2 20 years after that in which Hitler, Churchill and FDR (probably also Stalin) will all be involved and Germans will Operation Barbarossa Russians, even if said Russia is still an Empire".
Like on the alternate history wiki there is a TL about the Glendŵr rising being successful and you have an independent Wales. Then English history for the next two centuries is more or less the same. The Wars of the Roses are pretty much the exact same even though the Welsh interfere, the bloody Tudors still rise to the throne of England, you even get WWII that appart from a Fascist Wales is more or less the same

Like on the alternate history wiki there is a TL about the Glendŵr rising being successful and you have an independent Wales. Then English history for the next two centuries is more or less the same. The Wars of the Roses are pretty much the exact same even though the Welsh interfere, the bloody Tudors still rise to the throne of England, you even get WWII that appart from a Fascist Wales is more or less the same
"Doggerland remains above sea level. How does this affect World War II, would the Nazis win, can Operation Sealion succeed over land?"

That’s fair, though from a writing perspective (and reading) it’s easier to stay engage when historical figures you’ve heard of pop up, rather than a bunch of fictional names running around on an OTL world map.
Something i find interesting is to see how a historical character (or ourselves for that matter) would do in an alternate timeline

My least favorite trope is "Monarchy of [nation] restored and everyone likes it.". It seems like every other timeline either involves restoring or maintaining a monarchy.

My second least favorite is: "Even though we're imperialists we're somehow better than those imperialists over there and that makes our crimes justified." Criticisms of imperialism and colonialism are no less correct just because the protagonists are slightly better than the worst of the worst.

Last edited:

Beatriz

Gone Fishin'
Now I want to see a TL where Nietzsche actually finishes The Will to Power you monster! More seriously the Clive-Less World TL heavily features a morality system developed by an alternate Jeremy Bentham as a major historical political system in-universe
What about an *Jungian ideology about synthesizing the collective unconsciousness?

Which texts could serve as the basis for Hindu Liberation Theology?
Not what you asked but I found this interesting

"In 1871 a group in Calcutta had contacted Karl Marx with the purpose of organizing an Indian section of the First International. The first article in an Indian publication (in English) that mentions the names of Marx & Engels printed in the Modern Review in March 1912. The short biographical article titled Karl Marx – a modern Rishi was written by the German-based Indian revolutionary Lala Har Daya"

-M.V.S. Koteswara Rao. Communist Parties and United Front – Experience in Kerala and West Bengal. Hyderabad: Prajasakti Book House, 2003. p. 103
- M.V.S. Koteswara Rao. Communist Parties and United Front – Experience in Kerala and West Bengal. Hyderabad: Prajasakti Book House, 2003. p. 82, 103

The fact some timelines still use the Rommel myth. He wasn't a military genious and i doubt that a man who believed the Poles should have been grateful for the German invasion would have conspired against Hitler.

Probably more the fault of the times than of the man.

In those days it was not uncommon to see ones own country as so superior that others should be happy to be ruled by it. Certainly there were lots of Brits who thought the Indians should be grateful to be looked after by the benevolent British Raj

Well, Rommel most probably did conspire against Hitler. But what people get wrong about it is they think he did it out of the goodness of his heart, when the reality was that he was trying to save his own ass, in a desperate attempt to avoid being punished once the Allies defeated Germany.

But his country's "ass" as well. After all, if the surrender had come some time in 1944 before the Allied armies had crossed the border, then Germany (though still badly messed up by bombing raids, and of course still having to be occupied) would have escaped a lot of death and destruction. No doubt his motives (like most people's) were mixed, but there's no reason to assume that they were exclusively selfish.

Last edited:
“Major nation”-screws such America or Russia screws. While I can see the appeal of having a nation you disliked getting “their just desserts” a lot of them really do come off as needlessly sadistic and mean-spirited.