Your least favourite AH tropes & motifs

Not sure it counts but it really annoys me how little AH involves India and South America. They’re just….. there, usually.

I think there have been a few too many WI’s re Henry VIII dying earlier than he did IOTL(hey, I don’t like
him either but still.....)

There are definitely a few “sacred cows” that are rarely, if ever, seen to change much even in an otherwise radically different ATL. I don’t dislike this exactly, I just wish there were more options willing to be explored.

For instance, Britscrews are very few and far between, I suppose because it seems so unlikely to have happened IOTL. Another weirder one is Ottoscrews; in multiple Byzantine timelines instead of just getting wiped out or whatever they tend to regroup further east and become super successful in Persia, and in early modern timelines the Greek Plan-style weirdness come up with by Russia and Austria never gets explored.

I despise British Argentina, it comes with the supposition that the great British Empire would make Argentina a proponer grand nation! Because something something, imperialism is bad unless is done by the British.

And the annoying thing is that every author who wants to act like they are using South America does that, and it always plays out the exact same way.

I despise British Argentina, it comes with the supposition that the great British Empire would make Argentina a proponer grand nation! Because something something, imperialism is bad unless is done by the British.

And the annoying thing is that every author who wants to act like they are using South America does that, and it always plays out the exact same way.
Though I'm British and obviously biased, @minifidel's Dominion of the River Platte is a really good satire on the trope.

Greece Annexing all of the Turkish Aegean Coast and Armenia annexing all of Turkish Caucasus. Dude, having an overwhelming Turkish Majority Armenia and Greece is not something you should want post-1900 with their histories.
Another weirder one is Ottoscrews; in multiple Byzantine timelines instead of just getting wiped out or whatever they tend to regroup further east and become super successful in Persia, and in early modern timelines the Greek Plan-style weirdness come up with by Russia and Austria never gets explored.
There is literally only 2 timelines that do that with the Ottomans in Persia. There was a weird timeline where Ertugul converted to orthodoxy and one of his descendants became a usurper and then Byzantine Emperor. Most of the other Ottoman Timelines i have seen are definitely massive screws.

I don't if this is quite right for this thread, But the obligatory chapter about guns or artillery . They are usually chock filled with technical details that go right over my head and do nothing but interrupt the pace of the story. Most of them don't even have pictures to break up the giant wall of text in front of me. Though this is mostly for post 1900 timelines some here also suffer from it.

Ohh thanks for bringing that tl to my attention.

Also another thing I dislike is how sometimes characters are reduced to the meme versions of themselves, the biggest example I can think of is Joachim Murat who so often is reduced to being a braggart who is mean and stupid, now Murat was not an incredibly clever man but he was smart and him being something like a braggart is so far from reality it relier on a comment made by Napoleon, but in reality he was a far more different and complicated person.

There is literally only 2 timelines that do that with the Ottomans in Persia. There was a weird timeline where Ertugul converted to orthodoxy and one of his descendants became a usurper and then Byzantine Emperor. Most of the other Ottoman Timelines i have seen are definitely massive screws.
I’m not talking about post-1900 Ottoscrews, which are super common, but pre-1900 Ottomans doing worse, which off the top of my head I really can’t place very many of, especially if we’re talking after they’ve already been established as a major power (so post-1500).

I'm a sucker for alternate ideologies and political systems but I feel not enough people come up with alternative historiographic lenses for their ideologies to flow from and just create strange permutations of the progressive-conservative split we have OTL. @Thande's Societism is an excellent example of politics evolving around a different focus (cultural relativism in his case) and producing really interesting results and a completely alien global struggle of ideology.

When timelines related even remotely to the US feel the need to get into electoral play by plays. Sorry friends, but I don't particularly care whether Hiram Poopenbody won over Zebediah Weaselface by 13 votes in the Podunk district.

How butterflies are used and abused in some parts of a story, yet almost completely ignored in others. For example, a TL with a POD in the early 1800s that has the Ottomans collapse in a way nearly identical to OTL.

Maybe I'm partial because my bff is from there, but the amount of China-screw specially post-1900.
Now I know how bad things turned out IOTL, that the Qing werent exactly doing well and that lots of authors like to go the dystopia route(cant blame em, I like my fair share of dystopian TLs) but the sheer amount of TLs where China is broken apart, nuked, gassed and so on is just...
And that's for a country with as much potential as the US to be the most powerful in the world!
I guess I could say the same for Russia to a certain degree, TLs where they do well (unsurprisingly) feature a surviving Imperial Russia, I know I know soviet bad but come'on! Stalin & company was not inevitable, a lot of things could have happened between the October Revolution and the Fall of the USSR and a tsar or dictator on a White Army wins scenario could have been as tyrannical as Moustache Joe and a lot less successful.

Actually, writing alternate histories regarding countries that have repressed histories is hard, I would prefer if they are not mentioned if the author is not familiar on them.

*How in literally every single non-Latin American TL, Latin America is literally just the same but probably with a bigger Brazil
*If there's a United Europe, Justin Trudeau probably leads it
*Huey Long and George Wallace cannot be used for anything else but a nightmarish, often ridiculous dystopia TL
*one of the Bushes is always president, no matter what
*Trump is always in there somewhere