Your favorite alt-migrations

What nation, tribe, religious sect, or other grouping do you like to imaging embarking on an alt-historical migration that has major effects upon the region they chose to settle? My current favorite would be the Purepecha (called Tarascans by the Aztecs) being split by a civil war shortly after the founding of their Mesoamerica state, with the losing faction settling far to the north along the Gila River in Arizona. I find it interesting to speculate what the effects of the metalworking Purepecha among the pueblo-building cultures of the American southwest would be.

My ideas is having the TL191 US and two countries (New Zealand and Australia) in an agreement of having Mormons to migrate to there between the late 1940s.

Mormons migration into mostly Australia and Sandwich Islands still have them deported by the US Military in 1947

Last edited:
My ideas is having the TL191 US and two countries (New Zealand and Australia) in an agreement of having Mormons to migrate to there between the late 1940s.

Mormons migration into mostly Australia and Sandwich Islands still have them deported by the US Military
Would be interesting to see Mormons settled on land thought to be worthless but actually turns out to have valuable mineral deposits.

My ideas is having the TL191 US and two countries (New Zealand
There actually were some calls for New Zealand to join the United States after Britain pulled out Imperial Troops in the wake of a major Maori rebellion. So maybe you could do something with that?

There actually were some calls for New Zealand to join the United States after Britain pulled out Imperial Troops in the wake of a major Maori rebellion. So maybe you could do something with that?
Fascinating, do you have any more info on this? I’ve never heard of this before

Viking lads, in this part of my TL191 headcanon that has US conquer the CSA after 82 years but New Zealand did join the US sphere as well as Australia in the late 1940s.

But thanks again my Viking friend

Hm...

alt-Austronesian migrations would be nice. Imagine the settling of Australia by alt-Maori, or a deeper contact between the main Polynesian lands, the Rapa Nui, and the Americas. :p

Messing up the movements of the Germanic (and, by extension, Iranian and Turkic) peoples during Late Antiquity can produce very interesting outcomes. One I've been entertaining for some time is to have the larger Germanic peoples immigrate into the Balkans in a scenario in which Constantinople is never constructed. Without a Roman capital in the way, they - the Visigoths and Ostrogoths, Vandals, Alans, Suebi, and so forth - can eventually cross into Asia and settle in the Dioceses of the Praefecture of the Orient - which, while wealthier, seems to have lesser military contigents in Anatolia and western Syria.

Then, it would be interesting to see the appearance of successor states in what-would-be the Byzantine Empire, with a syncretic fusion of Germanic and Hellenic cultures.

Last edited:
Messing up the movements of the Germanic (and, by extension, Iranian and Turkic) peoples during Late Antiquity can produce very interesting outcomes. One I've been entertaining for some time is to have the larger Germanic peoples immigrate into the Balkans in a scenario in which Constantinople is never constructed. Without a Roman capital in the way, they - the Visigoths and Ostrogoths, Vandals, Alans, Suebi, and so forth - can eventually cross into Asia and settle in the Dioceses of the Praefecture of the Orient - which, while wealthier, seems to have lesser military contigents in Anatolia and western Syria.

Then, it would be interesting to see the appearance of successor states in what-would-be the Byzantine Empire, with a syncretic fusion of Germanic and Hellenic cultures.
Germanic Balkan will be interesting since the Slavic migration into Eastern Europe

What if Iranian peoples, like the Alans, settle the Pannonian basin during the Migration period, essentially taking the place of the Magyars? Just imagine the glory of the Pannonian Shahirate!
Or have the Thai people copy the Austronesians and settle Taiwan. The Khmer stay the dominant ethnic group of central SEA, while Japan would get a strong new rival in the south.

The Hmong("Miao") people managing to push the Han out of the Yellow River basin rather than the other way around with the chinese Founding Father of myth - the Yellow Emperor - losing in the mythical Battle of Zhuolu to Chi You, their mythological ancestor, migrating there while the Han migrate to the areas the Hmong traditionally migrated IOTL

Thus a completely different civilisation is born from the Hmong instead of the Han nearly 5 thousand years ago and completely redefines the fate of Asia and humanity as a whole as the dominant power in the East in the following millennias

Its a great concept with such a immense potential, I still want to do it someday

Without the Hunnic expansion, we could see the Ostrogoth repeat the Scythian expansion to the east. This could result in an East Germanic Central Asia, maybe with the European East Germanic still going extinct and Slavic expansion cutting off the East Germanic from their Western cousins.

I've often wondered what might have happened if there was a migration of Persians to Tang dynasty China in the wake of their defeat at Nahavand in 642 CE. The Sasanian ruler Yazdgerd III would have to make fairly quickly the decision that Persia was lost and to gather as many of his subjects as he could to seek refugee in Chinese territory. The House of Sasan was on good terms with with the Tang court, so as in OTL under his son Peroz III, Yazdgerd III would become commander-in-chief of a new martial command area organized by the Tang. I think an interesting Buddhist-Zoroastrian syncretic faith could emerge if the Persians are settled in the Tarim Basin among the remnant Tocharian population.