Yorkshire Life

index.png

This TL is set in an alternative universe where the UK has become a full federal nation along the lines of Australia and is set in the West Riding of Yorkshire which regards itself as practically independent. Specifically it will look at how sports, media and poltics evolves. I'll use Youtube to post videos of how this universe could be visualised

POD
1968:ABC Television becomes week-round provider of programmes for Yorkshire
1978: Scotland and Wales vote in favour of devolution. Labour wins slender majority in October 1978 with manifesto promise of devolution for England
1981: Voting takes place for The West Riding Assembly (80 Seats with 41 needed for majority)

Labour 36
Conservative 33
Liberal 7
Yorkshire Independence Party 7

(Labour-Liberal Coalition with 2 seat majority)

So how does The West Riding of Yorkshire deal with South and North Yorkshire, is there a push for reunification of the three Yorkshires and recognition as a separate nation within the UK like England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales?

Last edited:
As a proud Cumbrian I have a few questions about this new country.

Will the renowned frugal economic policies of The West Riding have any influence on the rest of the UK?

I suppose the new national dress will be a flat cap and dour expression!

Will this save One Man and His Dog, as it will most likely be the West Ridings National Sport (certainly without national intervention it won't be football by the 21st century)!

Will the renowned frugal economic policies of The West Riding have any influence on the rest of the UK?

Will this save One Man and His Dog, as it will most likely be the West Ridings National Sport (certainly without national intervention it won't be football by the 21st century)!
With On Ilkla Moor Baht'at as the national anthem?

There won't be too much from "outside". It will take the form of vignettes. With that in mind (and I should have asked this earlier) I will be using the alt-wiki engine. Is it easy to use?

I'll be interested to see this develop. As a Welshman, I've always thought of the 'Old North' as being a different country compared to 'England' - a name I can't help equating with the south. I see it as being on a par with Scotland, Wales or NI. Actually, is there a fully Federal UK timeline somewhere?

I'll be interested to see this develop. As a Welshman, I've always thought of the 'Old North' as being a different country compared to 'England' - a name I can't help equating with the south. I see it as being on a par with Scotland, Wales or NI. Actually, is there a fully Federal UK timeline somewhere?

I haven't got a Timeline aside from the one above

"ABC Tonight" 6th March 1982"

Good Evening. First Minister Mason has unveiled the most ambitious plan in the brief history of the Assembly. The 'Yorkshire Powerhouse' initiative will see billions of pounds invested in infrastructure across the region. In a speech to Assembly members he outlined a 30 year scheme to effectively turn Yorkshire into a mini state within the UK. The main points are:

A unified transport network connecting trains and buses with trams later on
An enhanced communications network using underground cabling
A plan to make medical information on patients available to all NHS outlets to aid in emergencies...."

We are different to England and always have been. Yorkshire alone is too small to pull off devolution but fortunately there is a divide that already exists and could be used to draw up the borders for a reborn North. The Church of England Province of York. (in pink)
1596470531243.png

Might have to get rid of Southwell and Nottingham, it looks rather rude hanging down there, and they're not properly Northern, anyway.