Yom Kippur War Goes Hot Timeline Planning Thread

What should be the timeline's title?

• 1973: Al-Qaiyama (Arabic for Judgement Day)

Votes: 63 69.2%
  • 1973: Конец света (Russian Transliteration: Konets sveta; Translation: End of the World)

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Черный день (Russian transliteration: Chernyy' Den'; Translation: Black Day)

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • The Third World War: A Personal History

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • A Complete History of World War III

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So, this being an alternate history where the Yom Kippur War started WWIII, we need to start planning things out: first, a course of events that transcribe throughout the conventional WWIII that lasts for at least 3 weeks, and then culminating in 2017/2018, depending on the progress of the timeline, with the aftermath of nuclear hellfire. That and we must also try to get creative with the timeline's title and some images of WWIII front line maps and TV news images so that way, we can make this sound like a realistic depiction of how a 1970s WWIII would be like. So, any ideas for the course of events between the point of divergence on the 24th/25th of October of 1973 and the minute the warheads launch? We can deal with the nuclear aftermath later.

Last edited:
In dealing with a 70's WWIII, keep in mind that the Soviets have an advantage over NATO in terms of hardware and numbers and that the US public's morale is lowered due to the Vietnam War being waged recently and would likely hinder NATO's efforts to fight a world war. Amusingly, it would be interesting to have the war told from the perspective of Nixon in some chapters, just to see how he would react to the Cold War going hot.

I'm interested! Definitely subscribed to this for the foreseeable future :p

I can also help with historical information and such as I have researched on this era of the Cold War for my History HL Extended Essay.

In dealing with a 70's WWIII, keep in mind that the Soviets have an advantage over NATO in terms of hardware and numbers and that the US public's morale is lowered due to the Vietnam War being waged recently and would likely hinder NATO's efforts to fight a world war. Amusingly, it would be interesting to have the war told from the perspective of Nixon in some chapters, just to see how he would react to the Cold War going hot.

I know that. So, in planning this out, what should be some key events in the Middle East and Europe that could happen prior to NATO launching tactical nuclear weapons as the Soviets approach the Rhine? Because I was thinking that the European front opens in West Berlin, while an invasion of Kiel, West Germany is occurring simultaneously under the cover of night, catching NATO by surprise, which follows by Warsaw Pact forces crossing the Fulda Gap the next morning. The problem is: meanwhile, what happens in the Middle East? As in: how does WWIII's Middle Eastern Front look like compared to Europe?

Also, I might add in a Scandinavian front, a Balkans/Mediterranean front and add Turkey to the Middle Eastern front, just for good measure.

Last edited:
I'm interested! Definitely subscribed to this for the foreseeable future :p

I can also help with historical information and such as I have researched on this era of the Cold War for my History HL Extended Essay.

So, prior to World War III in this timeline, how is the state of affairs in both sides of the Iron Curtain? I would like a brief summary of the military and political aspects both sides have to deal with.

Last edited:
I would imagine that the most likely flashpoint would be in the Mediterranean, with the two superpower navies and the aerial resupply to both sides

Iirc, the Soviets kept some of their ships in the Black Sea to avoid inflaming the situation.

I would imagine that the most likely flashpoint would be in the Mediterranean, with the two superpower navies and the aerial resupply to both sides

Iirc, the Soviets kept some of their ships in the Black Sea to avoid inflaming the situation.

Exactly. So, the Mediterranean Front, the Middle Eastern Front, the Scandinavian Front and the German Front = What turn of events could happen? Besides what I proposed?

Asia, given that the Vietnam War was still going on at the time though the US presence has been greatly withdrawn and the only aid South Vietnam had was US supplies which were cut off due to the democrat-led congress in 1974 in wake of the Watergate scandal; not to mention the Korean Peninsula given that North Korea would greatly take advantage of the chaos in Europe and the Middle East. Japan may or may not play a role but it might risk getting invaded had it gone for the former.

Asia, given that the Vietnam War was still going on at the time though the US presence has been greatly withdrawn and the only aid South Vietnam had was US supplies which were cut off due to the democrat-led congress in 1974 in wake of the Watergate scandal; not to mention the Korean Peninsula given that North Korea would greatly take advantage of the chaos in Europe and the Middle East. Japan may or may not play a role but it might risk getting invaded had it gone for the former.

What about China, if the Asian Front is included?

What about China, if the Asian Front is included?
China would be abit of a wildcard given that the Cultural Revolution is still going on at the time, yet I can see China take a neutral yet pro-NATO stance given its hostility to the Soviets; though I would imagine the Soviets would use its secret agencies to destabilize China and deter its leadership from attacking.

China would be abit of a wildcard given that the Cultural Revolution is still going on at the time, yet I can see China take a neutral yet pro-NATO stance given its hostility to the Soviets; though I would imagine the Soviets would use its secret agencies to destabilize China and deter its leadership from attacking.

In other words: neutrality (until one side decides to ruin them).

Wait, what is your PoD? The date suggests that it's at the very end of the war.

The PoD is this: Egypt practically refuses to call off its request for assistance after the Americans threatened to intervene if the Soviets did and decides to resume military operations against Israel, while Syria decides to do the same shortly after. Both events force Brezhnev's hand as a result. At the same time, the Soviet Black Sea Fleet ignores a NATO warning shot while passing near their fleet, thus prompting NATO to open fire, triggering a Second Battle of Lakatia, and effectively triggering WWIII, though officially, it is not WWIII yet. It officially becomes WWIII on the 5th of November (a V for Vendetta reference) once the Soviets invade West Germany and take West Berlin. Not sure if this is how it works, but I had that on my written first draft. Wait? What NATO fleets were deployed in the standoff in the Mediterranean against the Soviet Black Sea Fleet?

So, that out of the way, what does this mean for the timeline? NOTE: The PoD is official, though events after the 24th - 26th of October are not exactly official, as they are a first draft.

Well? Anything? On either the NATO fleets at the time of the standoff with the Soviets or the course of WWIII prior to the nuclear shooting gallery at the end?

How about a POD of communications getting screwed up on the first night of the war and Israel uses nuclear weapons on the Golan?

How would that work? Besides, I did imply I wanted an initial conventional stage. Israel going nuclear means the nuclear shooting gallery starts early.

How would that work? Besides, I did imply I wanted an initial conventional stage. Israel going nuclear means the nuclear shooting gallery starts early.
Speaking of nukes, maybe it's best to hold them off for like one month, just so that the nuclear escalation can feel realistic and not contrived.