Years of Rice and Salt Map!

Well looks like someone made a map of 1431 AH (2002 AD) on Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Years_of_rice_and_salt
Inka rule!!!
I. Yingzhou II. Inka III. Firanja IV. Maghrib V. Sahel VI. Zanj VII. Ingoli VIII. Botswana IX. Skandistan X. Iran XI. Arabia XII. Greater Japan XIII. China XIV. Indian League XV. Burmese League XVI. Mindanao XVII. Aozhou XVIII. Maori

800pxtheyearsofriceands.png

I'd make one, but that would require re-reading the book, and I'm not sure my annoy-o-meter could stand that.

Bruce

That map is terrible. Utterly terrible. Firanaja never united,and I highly doubt the Haudenosaunee and the Inca took all the Muslim and Chinese colonies. Plus theres a bunch in the book so I really find this inexplicable.

That map is terrible. Utterly terrible. Firanaja never united,and I highly doubt the Haudenosaunee and the Inca took all the Muslim and Chinese colonies. Plus theres a bunch in the book so I really find this inexplicable.
Lol, that's the map straight from the book at the beginning of the "First Years" chapter. And while I don't know about Inca, it is mentioned in the last book that Firanja united and that the Haudenosaunee is a world power (which I would guess means that they drove the Chinese out).

Hendryk

Banned
the Haudenosaunee is a world power (which I would guess means that they drove the Chinese out).
I don't see why you'd make such a supposition, especially as by then the Chinese had been in Yingzhou for several centuries. You may as well claim that in order for Brazil to become a world power in OTL, it would have to expel all the Spanish-speakers from South America.

Anyway, the Hodenosaunee League is the weakest spot in the story. KSR doesn't explain at any point how they make the transition from early agricultural society to industrial superpower, and yet their mighty ocean-spanning fleet shows up as deus ex machina not once but twice.

I don't see why you'd make such a supposition, especially as by then the Chinese had been in Yingzhou for several centuries. You may as well claim that in order for Brazil to become a world power in OTL, it would have to expel all the Spanish-speakers from South America.

Anyway, the Hodenosaunee League is the weakest spot in the story. KSR doesn't explain at any point how they make the transition from early agricultural society to industrial superpower, and yet their mighty ocean-spanning fleet shows up as deus ex machina not once but twice.
Well, since Yingzhou is united, and the Hodenosaunee is still mentioned, I thought that logically meant that the Chinese government was driven out. Since the map is directly from the book, I wouldn't question the canonicity of it. I really see no fault in my "supposition."

Oh, and I meant the Chinese government, not the people (just in case you mistook my post as saying the entire Chinese population was wiped out in Yingzhou). And as far as I know, there is very little Spanish government precence in South America today.

Last edited:
This book should have been titled, "The Years Without White People." Seriously, though, what if the Great Plague that eradicated Caucasians occurred not in the Middle Ages, but today? That might make an interesting story.
Of course, there are problems, because so many more people are of mixed race, nowadays (myself included). You'd have to decide how much Caucasian you'd have to have in you to be vulnerable to the epidemic.
Maybe the plague could be bioengineered by someone who hates whites, and blames them for all the problems in the world?

This book should have been titled, "The Years Without White People." Seriously, though, what if the Great Plague that eradicated Caucasians occurred not in the Middle Ages, but today? That might make an interesting story.
Of course, there are problems, because so many more people are of mixed race, nowadays (myself included). You'd have to decide how much Caucasian you'd have to have in you to be vulnerable to the epidemic.
Maybe the plague could be bioengineered by someone who hates whites, and blames them for all the problems in the world?

No. The Great Plague didn't just wipe out white people. It wasn't selective. It wiped out prettyy much Europe (Except for a sialdn or two up near Scotland) but it also wiped out the Granadians it says in the book and the plague may have killed some of Timur's army after he died. Though on Constantinople it seems that they may have also been hit by the plague as wellna dmost likely would have resulted in western Turkey being decimated. Though KSR doesn't explain the fall of Byzantine so it is likely as much that it survived for a little while longer but was eventually conquered-probably alot faster that its western trade was decimated.

Well, since Yingzhou is united, and the Hodenosaunee is still mentioned, I thought that logically meant that the Chinese government was driven out. Since the map is directly from the book, I wouldn't question the canonicity of it. I really see no fault in my "supposition."

The Chinese government was driven out, yes, but my impression was that the Asian and Hoden-etc. parts of it were joined in some sort of federation/alliance, (The "Yingzhou League" is mentioned), but not forcibly joined under Hoden-etc. rule. But there is some room for interpretation.

(The Muslims _were_ kicked out of eastern Yingzhou in the long war. Whether this means there are Muslims under Hoden-etc. rule, or that there was horrible crunch gooey genocide, I dunno. The OTL Iroqouis, for all KSR's Native American-worship, were pretty harsh guys in warfare.)

Bruce

So out of curiosity, whatever happened to Ethiopia? I would assume it's odd status of being this world's Christian and Jewish "homeland" would of made it an object of interest to the characters.

So out of curiosity, whatever happened to Ethiopia? I would assume it's odd status of being this world's Christian and Jewish "homeland" would of made it an object of interest to the characters.

Other that it's still around at the time of the discovery of America, I don't think it gets mentioned at all...presumably it gets conquered by Islam, since it nearly was OTL before the Portuguese showed up.

Bruce

Other that it's still around at the time of the discovery of America, I don't think it gets mentioned at all...presumably it gets conquered by Islam, since it nearly was OTL before the Portuguese showed up.

Bruce

Makes sense. Does the same thing happen to Iceland?

Bad though the map may be, it rather inspires me to finally get around to reading the book. I've been having trouble visualising its world.

Hendryk

Banned
Bad though the map may be, it rather inspires me to finally get around to reading the book. I've been having trouble visualising its world.
The book makes for fine reading despite the various plausibility issues. You go ahead and tell us if you enjoyed it.

Last edited: