Yaroslav the Wise is killed in 1018

Chapter nineteen. The North.

Sweden.
In general, like OTL: Olof Skötkonung died in 1022, after his death Emund coal-burner ruled. He didn't support Sviatopolk, but he supported the sister Ingegerd, and, in 1045, her son Harald Olafson.

250px-Mynt_pr%C3%A4glat_av_Anund_Jakob_Jonsson%2C_Nordisk_familjebok.png

Norway, Denmark, England.
Before 1045 - like OTL. Canute ruled all three countries, died in 1035.
Then in Norway Magnus Olafson became the king, he made peace with the king of Denmark.

Magnus-den-gode.jpg

In England Harold Cnutson ruled short time, died in 1040. From 1040 Harthacnut ruled both countries (England and Denmark).
220px-Coin_danish_and_english_king_Harthacnut%2C_Hardeknut_%281018-1042%29.jpg

He died in 1042.
In England Edward the Confessor was elected as the king.

220px-EdwardConfesor.jpg

In Denmark Magnus Olafson of Norway became the king (of Norway and Denmark), but he fought hard against Sweyn II Estridsson Ulfsson for Denmark.
220px-Coin_king_of_denmark_sven_estridsen.jpg

When Harald Hardrada and Harald Olafson came to Norway and divide kingdom on three parts, Sweyn stopped the war. Firstly, he had not enough forces, [1] secondly - Anund, the king of Sweden, supported his nephew. Anund was the brother of Ingegerd by both father and mother, and he was the brother of Astrid (mother of Magnus Olafson) only by father. Moreover, the mother of Astrid was not the queen, and the mother of Anund and Ingegerd was.
Harald, Harald and Magnus swore to conquer England - to have three kingdoms for three kings, and begun to prepare for the war.[2]

Other
In Scotland Macbeth ruled, from 1040.
On Orkney islands Thorfinn Sigurdsson fought against Rognvald Brusason. Magus of Norway supported Rognvald, who are exiled in 1045. Thorfinn was earl in 1045. Rognvald wanted come back in 1046.
Imar mac Arailt was the king of Dublin, but exiled Echmarcach mac Ragnaill was ready to return.
In Wales Gruffydd ap Rhydderch fought against Gruffydd ap Llywelyn. In 1045 ap Rhydderch controlled southern part included Gwent, Morgannwg, and part of Deheubarth (he became the king of
Deheubarth in 1045). Ap Llywelyn controlled northern part included Gwynedd, Powys, and another part of Deheubarth. He was the ally of Sweyn Godwinson, and Sweyn promised the help in 1046.

[1] - in OTL he made alliance with Harald Hardrada, but in TTL Harald made the peace with Magnus without the war.
[2] - in OTL Magnus wanted to attack England, but Sweyn fought with him. In TTL Harald Olafson stayed at Denmark to protect the country, and Magnus with Harald Hardrada prepared to invade.

Last edited:
Vultures, ravens and butterflies are circling over England. Independent Danelaw again? Or would whole England be a part of Great Northern Alliance?
What will happen to Sweyn Estridsson?

Vultures, ravens and butterflies are circling over England. Independent Danelaw again? Or would whole England be a part of Great Northern Alliance?
What will happen to Sweyn Estridsson?

I don't sure yet :)
Edward is supported by Godwin, and they were ready for the battle in 1046-47. So, it will be hard fighting.
Sweyn will look for a new ally, probably. And first of them will be Edward (like OTL, if I don't mistake). Henry will not support him, probably, because the son of Bernard of Saxony married the sister if Magnus (and Harald) Olafsons - and Kasimir of Poland will refuse, and counts of Friуsland and Flanders, probably, too, because they will not fight against the Empire.
Maybe Henry of France, but I'm not sure. And Wilhelm of Normandy was too young.

Maybe Sweyn would join Varangian Guard? He needs money and Byzantines need troops and good generals.

It's very interesting way. I like it!
I will think about some more - check, what the man Sweyn was, and if it possible, sent him to East.

Chapter twenty. The West in 1045.

France
King Robert died in 1031, and a new king is Henry I.

200px-Henri_I.jpg

He fought hard against his mother. She wanted to save all lands of Robert as his widow, and Henry wanted to get its. Henry I won.
Then he fought hard against heirs of Odo II, Count of Blois - Tibo and Stephen. He won both, one by one. Tibo gave Tur to Henry - in 1044.
In 1045 the wife of Henry died, and he looked for a new one.
In 1045 he sent messengers to Casimir [1].

But France had many "kings" - dukes and counts, who were more rich and more powerful, than Henry.
527px-Map_France_1030-fr.svg.png

Flanders
Baldwin V ruled from 1035. He was married the sister of Henry I. In OTL he opposed the emperor, because he wanted a new lands.
Boulonge
Eustace I, ruled from 1042. The ally of Baldwin V. His son married a niece of Richard I of Normandy.
Normandy
After death of Robert in 1035, some kind of anarchy ruled in Dukedom. William, the duke, was only 15 years old, and members of the Norman aristocracy battled each other, both for control of the child duke and for their own ends.

250px-Bayeuxtapestryodowilliamrobert.jpg

Brittany
Conan II was the duke, but he was only 12 years old and he was imprisoned. His uncle, Odo of Renns, ruled as the regent.
Maine
Hugh IV, he is too small, and the bishop of Le Mans fought against his grand-uncle, who ruled as the regent.
Anjou
Geoffrey II Martell, from 1040. He was the ally of Henry I and helped him against Tibo in 1044.
Blois & Shampagne
Tibo, from 1037 (after his father was killed). Defeated in 1044, became the ally of Henry I too.
Burgundy
Robert I, the brother of Henry I. Fought against the count of Nevers.

Robert_le_Vieux.jpg

Aquitane
William VII, from 1037. His mother were the wife of Geoffrey of Anjou, but he was not the ally of Anjou.
Gascony
Bernard, the relative of William.
Toulouse
Pons, from 1037.

Spain.
There were two parts of Spain: Catholic and Muslim. Both parts were divided into smaller parts.
After Cordoba Caliphate falls, numerous taifas appears, which fought one against another.
616px-Taifas2.gif

Kings of Catholic part were brothers:
Leon & Castile - the king Ferdinand I the Great;
TumboA_ferdinand1.jpg

Navarra - the king Garcia, the eldest brother of Ferdinand (in 1043 he defeated the brother Ramiro, but Ramiro became the independent ruler after this, in 1045 captured Calahorra);
Aragon - the king Ramiro, the brother of both, in 1043, after the death of Gonzalo, annexed his lands.
Ramiro1.gif

Barcelona - the count Ramon Berenguer I, fought against mother and other counts, to unite Barcelona.

[1] - in OTL Henry married Anna, the daughter of Yaroslav of Kiev. But in TTL Kiev is rather weak, and Poland is more powerful. So, Henry could marry Gertruda of Poland, the sister of Casimir. In OTL she married Iziyslav about 1043, so, she was enough young.

[1] - in OTL Henry married Anna, the daughter of Yaroslav of Kiev. But in TTL Kiev is rather weak, and Poland is more powerful. So, Henry could marry Gertruda of Poland, the sister of Casimir. In OTL she married Iziyslav about 1043, so, she was enough young.

I'm trying to imagine what this fact would mean to Poland, to Rus' and to the west. Gertruda was in OTL very well educated and she could write poems in latin. She was also very pious. I think she would fit into the culture in France even better than Anna. I find it funny that she could introduce some slavic names into french royal line: "Casimir", "Boleslaus", "Mesco" or maybe even "Siemovit"?
I'm thinking what would be effect of more frequent contacts with medieval Polish court for France: Polish king at that time ruled over much more primitive country but his grasp over internal matters was much firmer. The rules of first Piasts were quite despotic. It was not uncommon to move parts of population from one region to another, not unlike in Byzantine Empire. Maybe Henry would seek to strenghten his rule more?

And in Poland? In OTL it was Kasimir who introduced first landed gentry, before the military forces consisted of druzhina and conscripted local population (similar to anglo-saxon hird and fyrd). In this timeline there can be no reason for this change as the state is stable and the king has means to maintain his warriors. Besides he would know about the feudal quarrells of French knights from his sister and this could additionally discourage him. At the same time more travellers from the west would come to Poland, the missionaries mainly but also the merchants and some knights looking for fame and the land they could claim for themselves (fight the pagans! Yay!).

I admit that I have no idea what were the effects of OTL mariage between Henry and Anna on contacts between France and Rus'. Where there any?

I admit that I have no idea what were the effects of OTL mariage between Henry and Anna on contacts between France and Rus'. Where there any?
As far as I know - no evident effects were. Only one - the name "Philip" of the french king. It's seems, even in Chronicle there is no information about the marriage (as about marriages of Harold and Andrew of Hungary too).

I'm trying to imagine what this fact would mean to Poland, to Rus' and to the west... she could introduce some slavic names into french royal line: "Casimir", "Boleslaus", "Mesco" or maybe even "Siemovit"?
Maybe, "Lambert" or "Adalbert", as saints of Poland. But maybe Mesco too, as he was recognized as saint.
One more effect - Anna became the regent in 1060, together with Balduin of Flanders. But then she fell in love with the count of Valois in 1062 or 1063. If Gertruda will not, she will be the regent until 1067 and the history of France can changes. E.g., with more pious mother, Philip may not fall in love with Bertrade de Montfort (ok, he fell in love in any case, but he may not married she), then he is not excommunicated, then he can go to Crusade himself. If Crusade will be, of course.

And one more interesting effect - France-Poland-(Hungary)-(Rus') union is rather effective against the Empire, so, two centers of power may appear in Europe after the death of the emperor Henry III. Or even three, if Great North Empire appears.

And in Poland?
If Kasimir did not introduce landed gentry, then Poland more like Rus'? I mean, are there only few nobles-boyars, and not too many nobles? And is Poland more centralized?

And yes, probably, it some like Crusade at Prussia in OTL later - knights, who looks for fame, come to Poland and fights against pagans. Firstly all of them moved to Sicily, but later, when Henry will die, and when Boleslav will begin his wars...

One more effect - the church of Poland may become closer to France, than in OTL. Kasimir can sent his son to French abbey, e.g.

Hm. How many effects from the one marriage.

As far as I know - no evident effects were. Only one - the name "Philip" of the french king. It's seems, even in Chronicle there is no information about the marriage (as about marriages of Harold and Andrew of Hungary too).

That's interesting.

Maybe, "Lambert" or "Adalbert", as saints of Poland.

In Poland he was known as Wojciech. And nowadays the name "Wojciech" is still very popular and "Adalbert" really obscure. Still in France he would be rater known under his "international" name.

But maybe Mesco too, as he was recognized as saint.

Which means more slavic saints are recognized and they are recognized earlier.

One more effect - Anna became the regent in 1060, together with Balduin of Flanders. But then she fell in love with the count of Valois in 1062 or 1063. If Gertruda will not, she will be the regent until 1067 and the history of France can changes. E.g., with more pious mother, Philip may not fall in love with Bertrade de Montfort (ok, he fell in love in any case, but he may not married she), then he is not excommunicated, then he can go to Crusade himself. If Crusade will be, of course.

Gertruda strikes me as very influential lobbyist. She managed to talk Boleslaw the Generous to intervene in Rus' in Iziaslav's name twice. Compare this with OTL reaction of Boleslaw the Brave to the fact that Sviatopolk managed to lose his throne again.
I'm pretty sure besides that none of Gertruda's son would be called "Philip". Lambert or Otto more probable. But the first-born would be probably Henry, Louis or Charles in regards for local tradition.

And one more interesting effect - France-Poland-(Hungary)-(Rus') union is rather effective against the Empire, so, two centers of power may appear in Europe after the death of the emperor Henry III. Or even three, if Great North Empire appears.

Right now Poles have no reason to act in opposition to Empire (opposite to OTL where emperors refused to acknowledge royal status of rulers of Poland). Polish elites probably see themselves as part of christian empire, nevermind "roman". And the authority of pope is right now rather low, at least in comparison to emperor who is actively promoting church reform.

If Kasimir did not introduce landed gentry, then Poland more like Rus'? I mean, are there only few nobles-boyars, and not too many nobles? And is Poland more centralized?

Poland started as much less democratic and much more despotic entity than Rus'. But later their ways started to converge. The testimony of Boleslaw Wry-Mouth was a copy of Iziaslavs way of dealing with intra-dynastic struggles. And the reason for producing large quantities of knights (later nobles) was chronic lack of funds of rulers and the need to protect bordes against external threats. In OTL large aristocratic dynasties already started to form: in Mazovia it was Masław/Miecław. And at the end of 11 century there was mighty family of Awdaniec in Silesia and there was mighty paladin Sieciech who ruled Poland in name of Władysław Herman.
I can't remember right now why so many petty knights were admitted eventually to noble state but I suspect that the reason was long period of division of Poland and the fact that the knights were the ones who supported Władysław Elbow-High against Luxembourgs in race for Polish crown. If his son had legal son as heir this trend would be inverted as Kasimir the Great was a strong ruler and supporter of towns (and peasants). But then came Louis of Anjou and then Jagiellons who were freslhy christianized and couldn't ditcate to already established Polish nobles too much.
If Poland had non-interrupted tradition of strong royal rulers from the beginning it could evolve differently.

And yes, probably, it some like Crusade at Prussia in OTL later - knights, who looks for fame, come to Poland and fights against pagans. Firstly all of them moved to Sicily, but later, when Henry will die, and when Boleslav will begin his wars...

I'm afraid that Iberia is more appealing to western knights. After all muslims are much wealthier than some forest savages. But Danes and Swedes could join Polish king's druzhina as long as he pays. And he can appeal to church for donation for holy war.

One more effect - the church of Poland may become closer to France, than in OTL. Kasimir can sent his son to French abbey, e.g.

Who knows. Especially if in France new filosophical trends start to develop.

Hm. How many effects from the one marriage.

Yes, that's interesting, isn't it?

Gertruda strikes me as very influential lobbyist. She managed to talk Boleslaw the Generous to intervene in Rus' in Iziaslav's name twice. Compare this with OTL reaction of Boleslaw the Brave to the fact that Sviatopolk managed to lose his throne again.
Then, can she make her own politic, when she will the regent?

I'm pretty sure besides that none of Gertruda's son would be called "Philip". Lambert or Otto more probable. But the first-born would be probably Henry, Louis or Charles in regards for local tradition.
But Philip was first and Robert, and Hugh - third and forth in OTL.

Right now Poles have no reason to act in opposition to Empire (opposite to OTL where emperors refused to acknowledge royal status of rulers of Poland). Polish elites probably see themselves as part of christian empire, nevermind "roman". And the authority of pope is right now rather low, at least in comparison to emperor who is actively promoting church reform.
Right now - yes. And Poland, probably, will the ally of the Empire. But Kasimir remember, what happened in 1003 - Otto III died, and Germany became the enemy of Poland for years. And in 1045 Henry III yet didn't have any son, so, it's not clear, who will be heir, if... e.g., Henry III died. And in autumn 1045 Henry was ill very hardly, a new king was elected already in OTL.

Poland started as much less democratic and much more despotic entity than Rus'... In OTL large aristocratic dynasties already started to form: in Mazovia it was Masław/Miecław. And at the end of 11 century there was mighty family of Awdaniec in Silesia and there was mighty paladin Sieciech... If his son had legal son as heir this trend would be inverted as Kasimir the Great was a strong ruler and supporter of towns (and peasants).
Thanks! I will remember about this in TL.

I'm afraid that Iberia is more appealing to western knights. After all muslims are much wealthier than some forest savages. But Danes and Swedes could join Polish king's druzhina as long as he pays. And he can appeal to church for donation for holy war.
It's seems, in XI century Spaniards fought against Muslim successful without additional help. Or with help of Southern France. I should read more about, probably.

Yes, that's interesting, isn't it?
Yes! It's very interesting for me.

Anne of Kiev is credited in introducing the name Philip to Western Europe, so no Felipe, Philip or Philippe or Felip.
Thanks!
Yes, she brought the name to all Western Europe, as the king was strong and popular.

Then, can she make her own politic, when she will the regent?

Probably yes, though her brother with his ready troops isn't nearby to support her. But I think she would be better suited to live in French culture and politics than OTL Anna who was probably too "feminist" for contemporary people.

But Philip was first and Robert, and Hugh - third and forth in OTL.

But this was Anna of Kiev. She reminds me the daughter of OTL Mieszko I - Świętosława, called Storrada.

Right now - yes. And Poland, probably, will the ally of the Empire. But Kasimir remember, what happened in 1003 - Otto III died, and Germany became the enemy of Poland for years. And in 1045 Henry III yet didn't have any son, so, it's not clear, who will be heir, if... e.g., Henry III died. And in autumn 1045 Henry was ill very hardly, a new king was elected already in OTL.

Ezzonids are next in line:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_I,_Duke_of_Bavaria
And they are relatives to Kasimir through his mother Richeza. But of course Kasimir is always careful and doesn't trust his family. He has his reasons :)

It's seems, in XI century Spaniards fought against Muslim successful without additional help. Or with help of Southern France. I should read more about, probably.

All I know is that there was a peasant migration from the north into the depopulated frontier areas. But it looks like nobody was interested in Iberian kingdoms until the acquisition of Toledo.

Yes, she brought the name to all Western Europe, as the king was strong and popular.

I didn't realise he was THAT popular. After all he was excommunicated by the pope.

Probably yes, though her brother with his ready troops isn't nearby to support her.
She has her own army, probably, which supported she and a little king.
But this was Anna of Kiev. She reminds me the daughter of OTL Mieszko I - Świętosława, called Storrada.
Yes. Then first will be Robert, second Hugh, and only the third - Lambert. Gertrude had 3 children (2 sons and a daughter) with Iziaslav, so, with Henry she will have 4th, and one (Hugh) will died in 1060, like children of Henry in OTL.
And they are relatives to Kasimir through his mother Richeza. But of course Kasimir is always careful and doesn't trust his family. He has his reasons :)
:) Thanks!
I didn't realise he was THAT popular. After all he was excommunicated by the pope.
I heard this version, but I don't sure.

I doubt. The name Vaclav wasn't included into the pool of recycling dynastical names for Piasts. Dobrawa/Dobrava gave the name Bolesław to Poles, Oda - Lambert and Otto. There can be added some Russian names if Dobronega feels like she wants to give some eastern flavour to dynasty (probably Sviatopolk or Yaropolk - in Polish it would be "Świętopełk" and "Jaropełk").
Maybe later if some of the girls from Spityhnev line are married into royal dynasty - they can add some new Czech names into mix.

Chapter twenty one. The South in 1045.

In general, history of Arabs countries are like OTL. But I want to understand, what was the history - for future events of TL.
Sorry, if you know the history and this chapter bores you :rolleyes:
And I begun from time, when
Abbasid caliphate fell, and the number of emirates appeared.
320px-Shattering_isochamend.png

Nortern Africa:
Umayyads created the Caliphate of Cordoba, it fell in 1031.
Idrisids - was brought under control of Fatimids in early X century.
Aghlabids was defeated by Tulunids, and by 909, the Aghlabid Dynasty was overthrown and replaced with the Fatimids.
Tulunids were captured by Abbasids about 905.
The Fatimid dynasty was founded in 909. Soon they conquered all the North Africa, in late X century they captured Egypt and later captured Damascus, Medina and Mecca.
Caliphate in 969:

320px-FatimidCaliphate969.png

They shifted their capital from Ifriqiya (Algeria) to Cairo in 969. The governorship of the western provinces, an area that roughly corresponds with modern Algeria north of the Sahara got Ziri ibn Manad. He fell in battle against rebellious Berber tribes in Morocco in 971. His son, Bologhine ibn Ziri, became governor of Algeria and defeated the Zanata tribe.
120px-Bologhine_Benziri_Benmenad.jpg

When the Fatimids transferred their base from Mahdia to Egypt, Bologhine ibn Ziri was appointed viceroy of Ifriqiya. The Fatimids had taken the treasury and fleet with them to Egypt and the loss of the fleet meant loss of control over the Kalbids in Sicily. Bologhine advanced towards the Atlantic during a campaign in Morocco. He died in 984 whilst returning from this expedition.
His son, Al-Mansur, succeeded him. Despite further campaigns by the Zirids against the Berber tribes of Morocco, he was forced to abandon the attempt at a permanent conquest of Fez and Sijilmasa. Still, he was able to consolidate Zirid rule in the central Maghreb when he defeated the Kutama Berbers in 988, and when his brother Hammad ibn Buluggin, as governor of Algeria, drove the Zanata Berbers into Morocco. The vassal relationship to the Fatimids became increasingly loose under al-Mansur, not least because their focus of attention was on the overthrow of the Abbasids in Iraq. He died in 995.
His son, Badis ibn Mansur succeeded him, but his right to rule was challenged by his relatives.
The great-uncle Zawi ibn Ziri was ultimately driven into Andalusia, where he founded the Zirid dynasty of Granada in 1012.
The uncle Hammad ibn Buluggin, who as governor of Algeria was building up his power and had established his own residence at Bejaia - ultimately, in 1014, the Hammadids separated from the Zirids. In the ensuing struggle the Zirids received no support from the Fatimids, and were forced to concede the independence of the breakaway dynasty.
Badis died in 1016, and his son Al-Muizz ascended the throne, with his aunt acting as regent. In 1016 there was a bloody revolt in Ifriqiya in which the Fatimid residence Al-Mansuriya was completely destroyed and 20,000 Shiites were massacred. The unrest forced a ceasefire in the conflict with the Hammadids of Algeria, and their independence was finally recognized in 1018.
Al-Muizz took over the government in 1022 following the overthrow of his aunt. The relationship with the Fatimids was strained, when in 1027 they supported a revolt of the Zanatas in Tripolitania which resulted in permanent loss of control of the region.
The son Abdallah of Al-Muizz shortly ruled Sicily in 1038-1040, after intervening with a Zirid army in the civil war that broke out in the island.
The kingdom found itself in economic crisis in the 1040s, reflected in currency devaluation, epidemic and famine. This may have been related to the high level of tribute which the Zirids were compelled to pay annually to the Fatimids (one million gold dinars a year).
When al-Muizz, under the influence of Sunni jurists in Kairouan, recognised the Abbasids in Baghdad as rightful Caliphs in 1045, the break with the Fatimids was complete.

The western part of the Northern Africa in the first half of the century:
Scission_des_lign%C3%A9es_zirides%2C_Hammadides-Badicides-Zawides.PNG

Hammad ibn Buluggin died in 1028. His son Hammad ibn Buluggin, named his brother Yusuf as governor of North Africa, and another brother, Ouighlan, governor of Hamza. In 1038 he was attacked by Hammama, lord of Fes, but pushed him back. Four years later, he signed a treaty of peace with the Zirid al-Muizz ibn Badis, who had moved against him from KairouanIn 1048[1], when al-Muizz declared himself subject of the Abbasid caliph of Baghdad, Qaid confirmed his allegiance to the Fatimid caliphs of Egypt, obtaining by caliph Ma'ad al-Mustansir Billah the title of Sherif al-Dawla'.

Some words about Fes (green area):
Under Ziri ibn Atiyya (to 1001) the Meghrawa, a tribe of Zanata Berbers, achieved supremacy in Fez under Umayyad suzerainty and expanded their territory at the expense of the Banu Ifran. A revolt against the Andalusian Umayyads was put down by Al-Mansur (Abi Amir), although the Meghrawa were able to regain power in Fez. Under the succeeding rulers al-Muizz (1001-1026), Hamman (1026-1039) and Dunas (1039) they consolidated their rule in northern and central Morocco.

Shift of the Fatimids:
fatimid960.gif

And history of Sicily:
In 909, the African Aghlabid dynasty was replaced by the Shiite Fatimids. Four years later, the Fatimid governor was ousted from Palermo when the island declared its independence under Emir Ahmed ibn-Kohrob. His first deed was a failed siege of Taormina, which had been rebuilt by the Christians; he was more successful in 914 when a Sicilian fleet under his son Mohammed destroyed the Fatimid fleet sent to recover the island. The following year, the destruction of another fleet sent against Calabria and the unrest caused by ibn-Kohrob's reforms led to a revolt of the Berbers.
The Berbers captured and hanged ibn-Kohrob, allegedly in the name of the Fatimid Caliph al-Mahdi, hoping he would leave them freedom of rule in Sicily. Al-Madhi instead sent an army which sacked Palermo in 917. The island was governed by a Fatimid emir for the following 20 years. In 937, the Berbers of Agrigento revolted again but after two resounding successes were decisively beaten at the gates of Palermo. An army was then sent by the new Caliph al-Qa'im to besiege Agrigento twice until it fell on November 20, 940. The revolt was totally suppressed in 941 with many of the prisoners sold as slaves and Governor Khalil boasting to have killed 600,000 people in his campaigns.
After suppressing another revolt in 948, the Fatimid Caliph Ismail al-Mansur named Hassan al-Kalbi as emir of the island. As his charge soon became hereditary, his emirate became de facto independent from the African government. In 950, Hassan waged war against the Byzantines in southern Italy, reaching up to Gerace and Cassano allo Ionio. A second Calabrian campaign in 952 resulted in the defeat of the Byzantine army; Gerace was again besieged, but in the end Emperor Constantine VII was forced to accept having the Calabrian cities pay a tribute to Sicily.
In 956, the Byzantines reconquered Reggio and invaded Sicily. A truce was signed in 960. Two years later a revolt in Taormina was bloodily suppressed, but the heroic resistance of the Christians in Rametta led the new Emperor Nikephoros II Phokas to send an army of 40,000 Armenians, Thracians and Slavs under his nephew Manuel who captured Messina in October 964. On 25 October, a fierce battle between the Byzantines and the Kalbids resulted in a defeat for the former. Manuel, along with 10,000 of his men, was killed in the fray.

The new Emir Abu al-Qasim (964-982).
May, 976 Emir Abu al-Qasim of Sicily recovers Messina from the Byzantines and Pisans. He then chases them across the straits and through Calabria all the way to Consenza and Cellere, where he imposes a tribute on the cities. In the meantime, his brother, at the head of a Sicilian fleet, assaults the Apulian coast and raids the Gravino region.
977 - Kalbid prince Abu al-Qasim of Sicily raids mainland Italy, occupying Sant' Agata in Reggio, Gallipoli and Otranto and razing Oria, Bovino and certain quarters of Taranto, before returning home laden with booty.
March, 982 Otto II takes Taranto. Otto II orders the assembly of a greater army before proceeding.
May, 982 Emperor Otto II's new, large imperial army assembles at Taranto and proceeds along the gulf coast towards Calabria. In the meantime, Sicilian Emir Abu al-Qasim has landed his own army and proceeds along the eastern coast of Calabria.

July, 982 Battle of Stilo (or Battle of Cape Colonne) Unable to escape the Germans, Abu al-Qasim is cornered by Emperor Otto II at Cape Colonne (south of Cotrone). After a brief clash, the German cavalry breaks through and heads straight to the Arab nucleus and strikes down Sicilian Emir Abu al-Qasim. But, despite the loss of their leader, the Arab army holds together, draws the Germans into a trap, encircling and mauling them. al-Qasim was killen, his son Jabir al-Kalbi prudently retreated to Sicily without exploiting the victory.
In next year Jafar ibn Muhammad becomes governor of Sicily following the deposition of Jabir ibn Abul Qasim.
In 986 Abdullah ibn Muhammad succeeds his deceased brother Jafar as Sicily's governor. Abdullah dies this year and is succeeded by his son Abul Futuh Yusuf.
986 Renewing their efforts on mainland Italy, the Sicilian Saracens sack Gerace.
988 Continuing in Italy, the Sicilian Arabs sack Consenza (in Calabria) and the county of Bari (in Apulia).

989 - Death of Ja'afar al-Kalbi. Ascension of Emir Yusuf al-Kalbi of Sicily, a cultured and tolerant ruler. With autonomy from the Fatimids all but complete, his reign represents the golden age of Kalbid Sicily.
991 Sicilian Arabs sack Taranto.
994 -
Sicilian Arabs sack and raze Matera, then proceed to sack the monastery of Monte Cassino.

998 - Yusuf al-Kalbi becomes sick and paralyzed. He appoints his son Ja'far al-Kalbi as new Emir of Sicily. More militarily-minded (he will lead several expeditions on the mainland) and less of a statemen than his father, ethnic and religious divisions in Sicily are exarcebated under his neglect.
1002 Venetian fleet expels the Saracens from Bari.
May, 1004 Siege of Bari by the Arab qadi Safi. The Byzantine captain Gregory Tracacciotis defends the city valiantly for four months.
September, 1004 The Byzantine citadel of Bari is on the brink of capitulation, when the sudden arrival of the Venetian fleet (in compliance with the 992 treaty) replenishes the city. In a subsequent three-day Battle of Bari, the Venetian-Byzantine forces defeat the Saracens and save Bari. The grateful Byzantines shower the Venetians with honors. A son of Pietro Orseole II -- Giovanni -- is married to a Byzantine princess in Constantinople.
1005 Pisan fleet sacks Reggio-in-Calabria, which had been a prominent Arab perch.
1015 - Ja'afar's apathy to reverses on the mainland deepens the discontent among the the Saqaliba and Berbers in the Sicilian army. Finally, the Sudanese Saqaliba and Berber garrisons set aside their natural rivalries and launch a joint coup to install Ja'far's brother, Ali, on the throne. But the deposed Ja'far called on the Arab junds and the coup is defeated. The aftermath is horribly vengeful - Ali is executed and nearly the entire corps of Sudanese Saqaliba, the nucleus of the Sicilian army, are either massacred or deported back to Africa; large chunks of the Berber population are also deported en masse to Africa, their Sicilian property confiscated. With this one step, the Kalbid emir has decimated his own army, leaving only the unreliable Arab junds and the even-more-unreliable Mawali to stand on.
1016 Ja'far of Sicily makes the mistake of striking out against Salerno with his thin army - and the defeat is predictable and very costly.
1019 Despite the influx of Berber property, the Kalbid treasury is drained by the luxurious court and the disastrous campaign. Under the guidance of of his ministers, thevizier Hasan ibn Muhammad al-Baghani and chamberlain Abu Rafi, the Sicilian governor Ja'far begins overhauling the state's finances, replacing customary taxation with a new heavy income tax on the Muslim population. The population revolts. As the Palerman militias besieged Ja'far in his palace, his paralyzed old father, Yusuf, rouses from his sickbed to address the crowd, dismissing Ja'far and his ministers, appointing another son, as governor Ahmed 'al-Akhal' of Sicily.

1030 - Ligurian troops under George Maniakes raid Sicily and capture the fortress of Caltagirone, near Catania. It is soon recovered, but the Ligurian mercenaries stay on.
1031 Ahmed al-Akhal of Sicily crosses the straits to Calabria and defeats what remains of the Byzantine army under Porthos Argyrus at the Battle of Cassano in Calabria. The catapan is killed in battle.
1034 - The Byzantines send an embassy to the Sicilian court. For the time being the Muslims will be on the defensive from the Italian states.
1035 -
The narrow success in Calabria emboldens the Sicilian Emir Ahmed al-Akhal to launch a plan for a grand new campaign on the mainland. To finance it, he decides to raise a lot of cash by new emergency taxation (i.e. imposing the 'Christian' tax of kharaj on the Muslim population). Predictably, the Muslim population doesn't take it kindly and erupts in revolt. But Ahmed quickly finds the Arab junds have abandoned him. The straw that broke that camel's back was Ahmed's appointment of his own son, Ja'far, as regent in Sicily, while he was busy with his campaign. Young Ja'far mishandled his brief spell in government. Confronted with the patronage demands of the proud old Arab junds, Ja'far dismissed their right of precendence and assigned Sicilian offices and privileges to relative newcomers from Africa. Incensed at the affront, the Arab nobles take up arms against the Kalbid family. All the old ethnic and tribal tensions break out, a civil war is on. The Sicilan rebels raise Abu Hafs, a brother of Ahmed, as the figurehead of their revolt and appeal to the Byzantines for help.
1036 - Reacting quickly, Ahmed al-Akhal captures his brother and rebel leader Abu Hafs. He also pays off the Greeks with a nice treaty.
The Sicilian rebels don't give up, however. They call on the Zirid Emir al-Muizz ibn Badis of Ifriqiya, who was then on terrible terms with the Fatimids, offering him the island. The Zirids leap at the chance and dispatch a large expeditionary force under al-Muizz's son, Abdallah ibn al-Muizz. This time it is Ahmed who appeals to the Byzantines for help.
The catapan Leo Opos dispatches a Byzantine army to Sicily to help defeat the Zirid expeditionary force in 1037. This they do, but, not knowing what else to do after and not trusting Ahmed, the Greeks return back to Calabria immediately.
1038 Sicilian rebels capture the Palerman fortress of Khalisa, where Ahmed al-Akhal makes his last stand. Ahmed's head is sent to the Zirid prince Abdallah ibn Muizz.

Seeking to profit from the chaotic situation in Sicily, the Byzantine Emperor Michael IV orders a full-scale invasion of Sicily. A large army is assembled under the general George Maniakes for the effort. It includes the Varangian guard under Harald Hadrada (future king of Norway), a Salernan army under Arduin 'the Lombard' (provided by Guaimar IV), a Norman contingent under the d'Hauteville brothers (William, Drogo and Humfrid) and a conscripted army of Apulian Lombards which include Argyrus.
The Byzantine expedition crosses the straits and captures Messina swiftly and follows that up by taking Syracuse (William is said to have earned his nickname 'iron-arm' for defeating the Syracuse governor in single combat there). However, Zirid reinforcements arrive soon after from Africa and keep any further advances in check.
1040 -
Messina and Syracuse are recovered, but the Zirid prince Abdallah is unable to hold on to his popularity after the reverses suffered to Maniakes. His Sicilian confederates turn against him. Abdallah is soon reduced to holding out with what little remained of his loyalists in Palermo. But they are soon defeated and the Arab nobles of Palermo restore the Kalbids, acclaiming Emir Hasan al-Samsam of Sicily, another brother of al-Akhal.
But the restoration of the pungent Kalbid clan isn't welcomed throughout Sicily and the island fragmented as the regional governors (qa'ids) break with the Kalbid emir.
cities.gif

(1) In the west, Abdallah ibn Mankut becomes master of Trapani, Marsala, Mazara, Sciacca and western plains.
(2) In the south, Ali ibn Nimat ibn al-Hawwas takes charge of Agrigento, Castrogiovanni (Enna) and Castronuovo. His background is uncertain. Some sources claim he was Saqaliba, others that he was a Berber.
(3) In the east, Ibn Hawwas's brother-in-law, Ibn al-Maklati, definitely a Berber, takes charge of Catania and gradually begins reducing the Mawali lords (tentative loyalists of the Kalbids) under his rule, albeit in the name of Emir al-Samsam.

(4) Ibn al-Thumna, the master of Syracuse.
Kalbid emir al-Samsam turned out to be a disappointment to the Palerman nobility. Again, he ignores rules of precedence and favors African newcomers with appointments at the expense of the old Arab famlies. Around 1044, the Kalbid Emir Hasan al-Samsam is chased out of Palermo and power was taken up in republican form by a 'shura of the Sheikhs' (a council of Palerman notables, Arab city nobles and great merchants).
Ibn al-Hawwas became the most powerful local ruler.
Al-Thumna attacked Ibn al-Maklati, killed him and married his wife (the sister of al-Hawwas). Later he overcame the area of ibn Mankut.
Later he abused his wife, and it led to the war between two rulers.
Dates of all "later" events are not clear.

[1] - yes, there are different dates in different sources, 1045-1048.

Perhaps she could make the name Wenceslas/Vaclav more popular than OTL.

Is it name of Saint Adalbert? Or is it Chezh name?
Sorry, I don't understand, why you selects this name, but I am now "at Sicily ad Middle East" with emirs and caliphs :rolleyes:

There can be added some Russian names if Dobronega feels like she wants to give some eastern flavour to dynasty.
As new saints? It's seems in OTL she didn't, and Rus' is weaker, then in OTL, but, maybe, I wrong.

Maybe later if some of the girls from Spityhnev line are married into royal dynasty - they can add some new Czech names into mix.
I'm afraid, in TTL no the line of Spityhnev presents.:(
Or it will be quite another line.

Is it name of Saint Adalbert? Or is it Chezh name?

No, he meant this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wenceslaus_I,_Duke_of_Bohemia

As new saints? It's seems in OTL she didn't, and Rus' is weaker, then in OTL, but, maybe, I wrong.

Not as saints but as names of younger children (the older would be named in Polish custom). But as you said in OTL she didn't.

I'm afraid, in TTL no the line of Spityhnev presents.:(
Or it will be quite another line.

You plan to extinguish Premyslids completely?

No, he meant this guy
Thanks!
But I don't understand, why Gertruda to name his sons by Czech name?

Not as saints but as names of younger children (the older would be named in Polish custom). But as you said in OTL she didn't.
Sorry.
I mean: if she didn't this in OTL, but did in TTL, a reason is needed.
The reason maybe - that in TTL Yaropolk is recognized as saint, and this name became more popular, or famous, or interested - I don't sure, how to say correctly.

You plan to extinguish Premyslids completely?
I'm thinking hard about.
If Brzetislav is imprisoned in 1041 and soon die, what will do his widow?
She returned to her family? Or Sviatopolk call her to Rus' and she marries Izyaslav about 1042-1043? Then Helen, the daughter of Mstislav, will be wife of Vsevolod.
For Sviatopolk it's prestige - and he has Czech heirs, who can be used, if Poland and Rus begin a war.
But for Judith of Schweinfurt herself? Pobably, she has 3 or 4 sons (I prefer 3 - then 2 sons may be born with Iziaslav), older about 12 years, she is the sister of Otto, the Count in Nordgau and the sister of the wife of the Duke of Saxony.
I don't sure.

Thanks!
But I don't understand, why Gertruda to name his sons by Czech name?

Neither I. The only Czech name that went into Piast dynastical names repository was "Boleslav" which became Polish "Bolesław". This is why I proposed that Spytihnev could survive and his female offsprings - daughters or granddaughters could be wed into Piast or other royal families - and popularize some Czech names, especially Venceslaus who was already made saint. But not Gertruda who has nothing common with Czechs (her own name is not slavic - the influence of Richeza who was born as a princess from very mighty family).

Sorry.
I mean: if she didn't this in OTL, but did in TTL, a reason is needed.
The reason maybe - that in TTL Yaropolk is recognized as saint, and this name became more popular, or famous, or interested - I don't sure, how to say correctly.

This is also my way of thinking. In OTL Dobronega gave to her children Polish names (Władysław, Mieszko, Świętosława) or the names which came into Piast names repository from abroad already (Bolesław, Otto). It doesn't look like she was really forceful in the mater of naming children. So she would need a special reason to give to some of her children the names in memory of her ancestry. I don't know - pilgrimage to Kiev? Some ilness which would be cured by interference of saint Yaropolk?

I'm thinking hard about.
If Brzetislav is imprisoned in 1041 and soon die, what will do his widow?
She returned to her family?

Most probable.

Or Sviatopolk call her to Rus' and she marries Izyaslav about 1042-1043?

Also quite probable later. I think that the house of Shweinfurt didn't have objection against marry the woman of this family into slavic royal houses.

Then Helen, the daughter of Mstislav, will be wife of Vsevolod.
For Sviatopolk it's prestige - and he has Czech heirs, who can be used, if Poland and Rus begin a war.

Right now Czechia is just a province of Polish realm governed by some Polish governor. Maybe Spytihnev would govern it later as his legacy but he would be given some other land - for example still underdeveloped Mazovia. This way the king would acknowledge his rank but at the same time he wouldn't allow any trouble in newly acquired province. Well, he would be even allowed to marry a daughter of Kasimir to further cement the realtionships between Piasts and Premyslids. ALT Świętosława maybe?

But for Judith of Schweinfurt herself? Pobably, she has 3 or 4 sons (I prefer 3 - then 2 sons may be born with Iziaslav), older about 12 years, she is the sister of Otto, the Count in Nordgau and the sister of the wife of the Duke of Saxony.

Why not?