XXth C: Discussion Thread

Glen

Tom, I will certainly be adding these events, but they seem a bit isolated. Can you provide more events setting up and flowing from them?

April 22, 1901 -- John Muir publishes Our National Parks
September 20, 1901 -- John Muir organizes the Sierra Club's first official tour, a trek through Yosemite National Park. Vice President Teddy Roosevelt attends.
June 7, 1909 -- The Sierra Club opens its first international chapter, in Canada.
January 1, 1917 -- The Sierra Club opens chapters throughout Europe, in Britain, France, Italy, Poland, and Austria-Hungary.
February 15, 1919 -- The Sierra Club of Poland meets with King Karol. He agrees to lend his support to their proposal to turn a series of private, state, and royal lands into a system of national parks.

(celiac disease will have to wait; very busy right now)

So I've been gone from the boards for a very very long time. . . I don't expect to be able to just jump back in or anything, but what has happened since, well, Februrary?

Very little. I don't think anything at all happened between Feb 1 and April 11, which is when Glen bumped everything. Since then, I've made a couple maps in the map thread and debated with Glen about the Caucasus.
The only new entries are the ones in this thread.

Glen

April 22, 1901 -- John Muir publishes Our National Parks
September 20, 1901 -- John Muir organizes the Sierra Club's first official tour, a trek through Yosemite National Park. Vice President Teddy Roosevelt attends.
June 7, 1909 -- The Sierra Club opens its first international chapter, in Canada.
January 1, 1917 -- The Sierra Club opens chapters throughout Europe, in Britain, France, Italy, Poland, and Austria-Hungary.
February 15, 1919 -- The Sierra Club of Poland meets with King Karol. He agrees to lend his support to their proposal to turn a series of private, state, and royal lands into a system of national parks.

(celiac disease will have to wait; very busy right now)

Cool, very cool.

Glen

So I've been gone from the boards for a very very long time. . . I don't expect to be able to just jump back in or anything, but what has happened since, well, Februrary?

Big thing is that the Official XXth Century Timeline has been moved to Timelines and Scenarios, but we are still growing the timeline.

Especially interested in seeing loose threads tied up.

So.. . .now that Luakel has disapeered, can we remove Kennedy?

I can live with the second Roosevelt brother now, but he's not going to tow the party line, he'll start up the Individualst (OTL Libertarian like movement) movement which will capture, say, the college student vote.

Glen

So.. . .now that Luakel has disapeered, can we remove Kennedy?

I can live with the second Roosevelt brother now, but he's not going to tow the party line, he'll start up the Individualst (OTL Libertarian like movement) movement which will capture, say, the college student vote.

You anti-Kennedite! :mad:

Events people, events! Otherwise, take it to XXth Century Discussion.:)

You anti-Kennedite! :mad:

No, I actually rather like the early Kennedys. . . my beef with them is that with our POD they REALLY shouldn't allow for the rise of the Kennedys, at least not to that degree.

For that matter, I don't want QR to be governor first. . . I think he'd be a cool and realistic darkhorse. Also. . . Glen, when was that submitted. All I know is that I was looking through the time line about half a year ago, and it was just there.

February 23, 1929 -- Coatzacolcos Athletic Club beats Santa Maria Parish (Veracruz) 15-6 to win the 1st Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 22, 1930 -- Minatitlan Regular College beats Campeche Athletic Board 23-6 to win the 2nd Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 21, 1931 -- The Jalapa Eleven beat the Veracruz Academy 6-3 to win the 3rd Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 20, 1932 -- Mobile Home Boys beat the Veracruz Kermits 21-17 to win the 4th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 18, 1933 -- Mobile Home Boys beat Campeche Athletic Club 9-0 to win the 5th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 17, 1934 -- Mobile Home Boys beat Acapulco All-Stars 12-6 to win the 6th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 16, 1935 -- Campeche Athletic Club beat Veracruz Kermits 4-2 to win the 7th Mexican Rugby International Tournament. This game marks the high point of the "dead ball" era.

February 22, 1936 -- Mobile Home Boys beat Oaxaca All-Stars 16-3 to win the 8th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 20, 1937 -- Cuban National Team beats New Orleans Haitians 32-12 to win the 9th Mexican Rugby International Tournament. It is the first time that a team from outside South Mexico or the USA has won the tournament, and the first time that a South Mexican team did not make the championship game.

February 19, 1938 -- Mobile Home Boys beat Tabasco Technical Institute 28-26 to win the 10th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 18, 1939 -- South Mexico Naval Academy beats Mobile Home Boys 7-0 to win the 11th Mexican Rugby International Tournament. They will prove to be the last amateur team to win the Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 17, 1940 -- Yucatan Maya beats Mobile Home Boys 25-20 to win the 12th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

February 15, 1941 -- Veracruz Kermits beat Puerto Rico Marlins 17-13 to win the 13th Mexican Rugby International Tournament.

No, I actually rather like the early Kennedys. . . my beef with them is that with our POD they REALLY shouldn't allow for the rise of the Kennedys, at least not to that degree.
I just searched the TL for Kennedy, and only came across two: Sr. and Jr. Senior becomes a hollywood mogul and dies in a shipwreck. Junior goes from precious little back story to a flawed-JFK type presidency, and loses on re-election. I think that we can quite easily fill in the gaps in the TL such that no other Kennedys emerge.

I just searched the TL for Kennedy, and only came across two: Sr. and Jr. Senior becomes a hollywood mogul and dies in a shipwreck. Junior goes from precious little back story to a flawed-JFK type presidency, and loses on re-election. I think that we can quite easily fill in the gaps in the TL such that no other Kennedys emerge.

Fair enough. It just feels cliche.

Also, glen, any way you'd reconsider the QR governorship?

Now that we have events heading towardes the end, I think we should end in a cliffhanger. Mind you, I know that isn't quite realistic, but it would be just lovely if everything came to a head at 11: 50 2000. For one thing, I'm planning on having a very disputed US election full of fraud which is not near being resolved. That and Montana put under police controll.

I agree that it's a bit cliche to have an Alt President Kennedy.

As for the cliffhanger, I'm not entirely opposed, but I think it's too early to map it out. I remain opposed to posting anything after 1975 or so until we fill out 1940-1975 a little more.

It would be incredibly easy to simply replace the Kennedy family with a Californian family and just switch around some of the events. I actually like having the Fitzgeralds marrying in with the LaGuardias, so there will still be some Kennedy blood around a major family (1964 presidential canidae, son of former speaker of the house). This TL just has different political Dynastys. . . like 4 generations of Cabot Lodges as president of vice president.

August 2s 1949: Juliet Cabot Lodge, daughter of Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. is born.

June 5 1974: Juliet Cabot Lodge graduates top of her class at Harvard Law School.

Summer 1973: Democrats begin to gain influence in urban areas in the north east where formerly they had little power, arguing that a large federal government was simply less practicle then large state governments. The movement is led by Jack Darn, a self made millionaire executive with near moviestar looks.

August 1974: Juliet Cabot Lodge, barily of age and newly graduated tries to get the nomination as US congressmen. Despite her father's name, she fails to defeat a popular incumbent. She immediately rebounds and enters into a disputed race for State Reppresentative in a district largerly dominated by Boston college students with an outgoing incumbent. The campaign recieves national attention when Tom Hayloft, a young popular Anthropology Professeur at Harvard and active Individualist challenges her nomination. College students from around the country donate money towardes Hayloft, but Lodge uses her father's influence to still gain the nomination. Local Restaurant owner Ted Parell wins the Democratic nomination. He is the owner and priopriater of a popular local restaurant, which would in normall situations be a logical stepping stones to such a low level possition, but he seemed overwhelmed against such publicized candidates.

August 24 1974: Parell appears on an interview on NBC, and impresses the nation with his good humour and unique insight. He criticizes the lopsided uneven agenda of the Republican Party, calling for the need of stronger states rights to coincide with the different needs of different states. He becomes a figurehead for a new Democratic movement.

September 1974: Hayloft announces that he will be running as an Individualist, and uses his considerable funds to guarantee balot acess as potential victory.

November 1976: Hayloft comes in with 36% of the vote, Parell with 32%, and Lodge with 31%. Hayloft quickly organizes the official Individualist Party, serving as chairmen. Democrats for the first time over half a century win the majority in the Massachusetts legislature, along with a Democrat Governor, Jack Darn.

March 1977: Second term Massachusetts Senator James Cabot (distantly related to the Cabot Lodges) resigns for health reasons. The Legislature appoints Ted Parell Senator.

Could you explain the Individualist Party? I lost track of what happened to the parties ITTL, but I don't remember the Individualists at all.