WWF: What if Bret screwed Vince

Back in the late 90s the then at the time WWF was in financial trouble, all their former greats were over in WCW and kicking their ass.

Vince McMahon feeling the heat decided he couldn't lose anyone else and signed his then top guy Bret Hart to a 20 year contract.

However just a year into the contract Vince decided he couldn't afford the deal anymore and asked then WWF Champion Bret Hart out of his deal which Bret despite having Vince pretty much bent over.

My question is, what if Bret refused to let him out of his contract? How far back a POD do we need for the WWF to fail in this time?

As in Bret says "I'm staying put" when Vince says he wants to bail out of the 20-year contract? I think if Vince fires Bret by force and Bret counters with a lawsuit it's not going to be a good time at all for the WWF.

If Bret wins it sets a bad precedent ie. if you dig in when Vince fires you, you might just get something.

Wasn't it Bret that wanted to leave and Vince said go for once he knew the money WCW was offering, knowing he couldn't match it.

Wasn't it Bret that wanted to leave and Vince said go for once he knew the money WCW was offering, knowing he couldn't match it.
Bret wanted to stay; Vince told him to go get paid.
As in Bret says "I'm staying put" when Vince says he wants to bail out of the 20-year contract? I think if Vince fires Bret by force and Bret counters with a lawsuit it's not going to be a good time at all for the WWF.

If Bret wins it sets a bad precedent ie. if you dig in when Vince fires you, you might just get something.
Vince can't fire Bret; he would look even worse than he looked in the OTL. Hopefully Bret can be convinced to tour Japan or something. Then once Stone Cold takes off, he can be brought back.

Last edited:
If Bret stays, no Stone Cold, no Rock, no Trips, no Taker, or at least as we know them. As for the tag div, very different if the Hart foundation stay. No Ministry of Darkness, and that whole story line, and no Mr Mchaon! Would there be Edge and Christian, Hardy's, Dudley's?
Bret would be on top for at least the next two years, maybe have the title for that long? Who's he going to fight after HBK?
On the plus side, Owen is still alive.

Bret would be on top for at least the next two years, maybe have the title for that long? Who's he going to fight after HBK?
Wasn't he supposed to take on Austin at Wrestlemania 14 and drop the title to him? I would've taken Austin/Bret at Wrestlemania 14 over Austin/HBK.