WW3 in the 70s?

Deleted member 90563

I'd rather be incinerated in a flash, than slowly die of radiation poisoning, and living either 40 km from the centre of London, or in Frankfurt, surrounded by tens of thousands US soldiers, the first option seems likelier.

David Flin

Gone Fishin'
Care to elaborate? Were books by Sir John Hackett and Shelford Bidwell.

I've described it before, so apologies to those who have heard the tale before.

1972. Arctic Norway. A Royal Marine learning to ski with the Norwegians. We were trundling along. They were rather better at it than I was - but then, a lot of them could literally ski before they could walk and I was an East End Boy and unused to snow. We trundled through desolate winter forest, and believe me, Arctic Norway is desolate in winter.

In due course, we saw some soldiers also skiing.

"This is where we go back," said the Norwegians.

"Why?"

"Because those are Soviet soldiers."

"What are they doing in Norway?" asked the aggressive Royal Marine.

"Oh, this is the Soviet Union. We're ten, fifteen miles across the border. We always see how far we can get before someone sees us. It's not a problem. We ski much better than they can."

It took me a moment to work out the logical flaw in this point of view. It was cold, OK?

"You can ski better than them. I'm just learning."

"Now is a good time to learn," they said, without a great deal of sympathy.

And that, gentle reader, is how I came to invade the Soviet Union more or less all by myself.

Curiously, the Soviets skied away from us. Apart from one young officer who was struggling as much as I was. He turned out to have been posted here from that well-known ski resort of Sevastapol and he didn't ski very well. He spoke English, which was good. Unfortunately, he had learned his English in Newcastle and spoke with a thick Geordie accent and I couldn't understand a word he said. We ended up having a chat in French, the closest we had to a common language.

He taught me why pepper is put in pepper vodka, and I taught him about winter beer.

Well, it doesn't matter who has the better fighters and pilot training if both fighter and pilots have been vaporized into a mushroom cloud.

Large parts of the Southern Hemisphere will survive the exchange, but with as many nukes as there were at that time, even neutrals in the south could have ended up hit. Throw in nuclear winter and the disruption of the supply chains and the resulting famines will be horrible

Well, it doesn't matter who has the better fighters and pilot training if both fighter and pilots have been vaporized into a mushroom cloud.

Large parts of the Southern Hemisphere will survive the exchange, but with as many nukes as there were at that time, even neutrals in the south could have ended up hit. Throw in nuclear winter and the disruption of the supply chains and the resulting famines will be horrible
Pretty much. Posters in threads like these scoffing their country will be completely untouched because it's unaligned forget that everything's connected, and at a certain point things will fail or suffer..

Last edited:

Yeah, Europe and Russia are simply...gone. Irradiated ruins at best. Israel's probably gone, Saudi Arabia and other UAE sites also probably get hit by nukes to deprive the 'enemy' of oil. In a full 'use it or loose it' exchange with NATO and the Warsaw pact throwing EVERYTHING into it, then China probably gets hit, India and Pakistan too. Japan (US air bases) as well as basically huge chunks of the USA are also in ruins.

Meanwhile, are all doing the "lol i ded" now?

Well, I never exist. Being born in 1985, my parents either haven't even met or are only just dating, so... not a lot of worry on my end. Their survival is possible, though, as they lived in suburban Vermont at the time - the Soviets probably didn't think Barre worth nuking.

My father worked for radio stations in Portland, Maine in the late 70s, early 80s before my sister and I came along. He told me about how he could see the CONELRAD in his office, being the morning news guy - so, he could have been one of the first civvies to know The End was here. He said he'd look at it... realize he could die any minute... then go back to work. It's all you could do, he said.

Mom simply refused to think it could happen. Also, despite her hatred of disaster movies and depressing things, she watched The Day After when it premiered - a fact that still stuns me:

ME: Mom. You did not watch The Day After.
MOM: Yes I did! Jason Robards was wandering around a burned-down city and looked really sick...
ME: ...
MOM: I just started watching and I didn't stop!

Me not being born most likely.

I always found the 1960s ore 1980s to be the best period to have World War III for some reason i cannot explain.
I've always found that weird that WW3 usually takes place in the 60s or the 80s and not some other time like the 70s or the 40s with the Berlin Blockade.

Pretty much. Posters in threads like these scoffing their country will be completely untouched because it's unaligned forget that everything's connected, and at a certain point things will fail or suffer..
True. Dublin, Cork and Shannon (for example) were targeted.

I've described it before, so apologies to those who have heard the tale before.

1972. Arctic Norway. A Royal Marine learning to ski with the Norwegians. We were trundling along. They were rather better at it than I was - but then, a lot of them could literally ski before they could walk and I was an East End Boy and unused to snow. We trundled through desolate winter forest, and believe me, Arctic Norway is desolate in winter.

In due course, we saw some soldiers also skiing.

"This is where we go back," said the Norwegians.

"Why?"

"Because those are Soviet soldiers."

"What are they doing in Norway?" asked the aggressive Royal Marine.

"Oh, this is the Soviet Union. We're ten, fifteen miles across the border. We always see how far we can get before someone sees us. It's not a problem. We ski much better than they can."

It took me a moment to work out the logical flaw in this point of view. It was cold, OK?

"You can ski better than them. I'm just learning."

"Now is a good time to learn," they said, without a great deal of sympathy.

And that, gentle reader, is how I came to invade the Soviet Union more or less all by myself.

Curiously, the Soviets skied away from us. Apart from one young officer who was struggling as much as I was. He turned out to have been posted here from that well-known ski resort of Sevastapol and he didn't ski very well. He spoke English, which was good. Unfortunately, he had learned his English in Newcastle and spoke with a thick Geordie accent and I couldn't understand a word he said. We ended up having a chat in French, the closest we had to a common language.

He taught me why pepper is put in pepper vodka, and I taught him about winter beer.
It's worth repeating.

Can NATO use their navy to force through Baltic and Black Sea assuming strategic nukes are not used first

Can NATO use their navy to force through Baltic and Black Sea assuming strategic nukes are not used first
Sure, if they accepted significant casualties. The question is why they would do that. The seat of decision is on land: how does this help effect a decision on the ground? Frankly, the answer is "it doesn't", so they wouldn't try.