Writing Contest: Main Thread

Can we lay down as a rule though that we arent allowed to vote on our own entries? I was guilty of it last time I will admit. But maybe that shouldn't be allowed as it just means that votes are more for self serving reasons than the actual worth of the work

Personally I never vote for my own entry. In fact when I have an entry in a contest I usually don't vote, unless there's another entry which is so very good that it deserves my vote.
We could have a rule which says: 'do not vote for your own entry' but there's a danger then that we will get very few votes overall. This particular contest had a lot more entries than previous ones, so I suggest we wait to see how the next one goes before introducing a new rule. (That's just my opinion - if the majority opinion differs, let's go with it.)
Edit: we could have this as a tie-breaker, perhaps? If there's a tie, 'own-votes' are subtracted?

@Meshakhad - I like the new contest - should produce some interesting work!

Personally I never vote for my own entry. In fact when I have an entry in a contest I usually don't vote, unless there's another entry which is so very good that it deserves my vote.
We could have a rule which says: 'do not vote for your own entry' but there's a danger then that we will get very few votes overall. This particular contest had a lot more entries than previous ones, so I suggest we wait to see how the next one goes before introducing a new rule. (That's just my opinion - if the majority opinion differs, let's go with it.)
Edit: we could have this as a tie-breaker, perhaps? If there's a tie, 'own-votes' are subtracted?

@Meshakhad - I like the new contest - should produce some interesting work!

I think I will put that rule into place. I also only voted for my own entry when I saw that everyone else had done the same.

Ok So here is the subject.

Write an article debunking a common misconception in your world. It can be on any subject, religious, economic, historical, military, anything.

As a suggestion I would say avoid voting for your own entry. It happened alot on the last challenge (i admit I did it) and it made it significantly less fun. I know we all think our work is the best, but if we all vote for ourselves it can be hard to determine a winner. It is just a suggestion, and feel free to ignore it though.

And with that I will give everyone a little while to work out what they will write about while I get some breakfast and once that is done I will post the challenge thread.

@Count of Crisco I have a question about this contest. On the main thread, there seemed to be a lot of discussion about not allowing contestants to vote for themselves. Is this rule going to apply to the debunking article contest, or is it too soon to call?

@Count of Crisco I have a question about this contest. On the main thread, there seemed to be a lot of discussion about not allowing contestants to vote for themselves. Is this rule going to apply to the debunking article contest, or is it too soon to call?
I dont think it is a rule. Just something some of us debated. In past threads nearly everyone voted for their own entries, myself included, and it made it difficult to find a winner.
Basically its more a suggestion so a person can vote for themselves, there is no rule against it, but less people are interested in future contest if all the entries get a single vote.