Writing Contest № 4: Let us pray...

Contest description
Welcome to the fourth edition of the writing contest.
The subject has been chosen at random from subjects suggested on the first page of the main thread.

Your task is to write a prayer.
The prayer can be to any deity or deities, from any time period (past, present or future).
All contest entries must take place within an alternate world, a future world or a fantasy world, and must be written from the point of view of someone within that world.
Entries can be in any language (a translation into modern English is advised, as this is an English-language forum, but not mandatory).
Feel free to decorate your writing with a picture or anything else you like, but this is by no means necessary.

All entries must be turned in by noon GMT on Monday 24th February 2020.
The poll will then be open for three days.

This thread is for entries only. Please post all questions, comments and topic proposals to the main thread.

Have fun and good luck!

Entry 1 - Prayer to Nur!anon
Hear me oh Nur!anon
I am tired, but dare not rest
I am cold, but dare no fire
I am hungry, but dare not hunt
I am hunted through woods by enemies who will not stop
Oh Lady of the Shadows
Hear my plea
Make their eyes slide of of me
Send them evil dreams so that they leave
Oh She of the Shadows, make it so

Offered by Nefro!zapam the scout at the end of the Dolphin Wars, at a ruined shrine high in the Spinal Mountain of southern Atlantis.

Entry 2 - Prayer to gods of fire and iron
Hear me,gods of fire and iron!
Hear me,faceless spirits of those who came before my time!
Guide my foot at midnight,guide my hand at midday.
Let me rest in the dark,let me fight in the light.
May it be always fire in my hearth,always harvest in my house and always sword in my hand.
And if I turn the weary traveler from my door,if I spare the life of those who have wronged me,if I run from battle in the day of reckoning,then let the gold in my hands turn to dust,let my iron turn to rust and let my sons spit upon their father's grave.
Thus I beesech thee!

Last edited:
Entry 3 - Prayer of Alyskan general
"Holy Father we send the souls of these thousands of men, women, and children, to your loving care. We ask also that you help the forces arrayed against those that committed this heinous act, and that all the suffering he has reaped upon the human race be dealt back a thousand times in the fires of eternal torment where I vow he will be sent. Oh our god we ask that you welcome all these over one hundred thousand souls into heaven with love and compassion, such as was lacking from their final moments on the mortal earth...

Prayer uttered by General Lord Chapyekov of the Alyskan fourteenth army on the 24th of April 1944 after seeing first hand the German mass burial of the starved inhabitants of Lviv, which had been occupied by the German army since 1941. Chapyekov would not finish his prayer, being moved to tears as the bodies were given proper burials. The prayer had a profound impact on the Soviet generals witnessing it, and paved the way for the close cooperation that the kingdom of Alyskan and Soviet Union would enjoy by the end of the war as it showed the kingdoms committment to winning the war, and killing those who could commit atrocities such as these. The fourteenth army would also be present for the liberation of eastern Poland, and as such be among the first to uncover the true horror that was the Holocaust.

The description is longer than my entry, but assuming this is from a textbook it may make sense. Anyway if anyone has an issue with my entry then it doesnt have to be included in the vote.

Entry 4 - Prayer of the 'basics'
"In the name of the gods, go kill yourself."

Rallying cry of the 'basics' in their war against their overlords (which in all traditional and conventional senses were their gods) in what might be perhaps the bloodiest revolt in galactic history.

Entry 5 - Prayer to the Goddess Tanit
tanit prayer.png
A sacrifice prayer to the Goddess Tanit for a fantasy historical setting I'm working on with a friend. It would be chanted by a sacrificed young man and by the crowd (in italics).

The language itself is being constructed by me, inspired by a few historical languages mixed together, if some words look familiar to anyone. If the English sounds strange, it is because it's an indirect translation of a text that itself was composed in the conlanguage. Either that, or because the religious background behind that is quite strange as it is, considering the backstory of the civilization it serves. I hope you don't mind the text being in an image, as it was the only proper way I could find to make the translation and the different voices understandable. I'm glad to finally take time to participate in one of these contests!

Entry 6 - Prayer of the Optimatium Faith
"Lord Nixon, the Judge of our sins and
the God of Nature, May you give

good health, good income,
and may you forgive us if we crossed you,
and let us see the water-gates of Heaven,
though if thy cannot forgive,
may you strike us down,
and bring us to the depths of hell,
Continue to give a good harvest,
Let the animals live and breath freely,
And let our eyes see through the smog.

Lord Calvin, the God of Silence,
May you continue your silence,
as if you don't, we shall all perish,

you have sacrificed more than
we could ever know, you have sacrificed your son,
your power, and your voice,
all for us, and we thank you for that.

Lord Goldwater, the God of Strategy,
You spread the truth in your speech,
You slay with your word,
and Liberty you defend,
we thank you,
In our hearts, we know you're the light.

Lord Dirksen, the God of Rights,
you fought for our rights to live
against the Southron Satanic Reds,
may you continue to do so,
and may you continue to fight for our equality.

And Prophet Gipper, the one who spread the word,
Defend us from Satan's evil empire,
in your great war of the stars,
And may you trickle down your holiness,
and continue in your battle against the Demon Dukakis
and his Liberali goons,
And show the light to those in darkness."

-Prayer to the Gods and the Prophet, common prayer of the Optimatium Faith

Last edited:
Entry 7 - Prayer sermon of the Martian Olympian civilisation
Lord Azaran, the God of our universe,
I am here at your heart but please give us strength,
Wishing that you hear that our light of guidance that we made,
Making our truly path of light on the road open,
He created our old-lost kingdom that we endure in thousand years,
We upbrings our true kingdom into prosperity
and our fame destiny riches will prosper.

And prophet-ruler Ya'zay, the one who became king of the our kings,
Uplift and strengthen us from the evils of Qhuzeool,
at the times of prosperity and hardships where we have,
and continue to reign our kingdom to live forever,
And show the fulfilling dreams of defending our kingdom.

As I approached to our prophet-ruler Oarl'u,
He used his better skills to deal with enemies,
Men and women, have fought on every battlefield,
but the real battle lost in failure,
as the citizens began to rail their voice,
against him and his reign,
Lord Azaran came down there to punish him.

And prophet-ruler Gazrn'ki came to power,
you discover one of the magical things,
to fight again for our reign,
and to show punishment to strong enemies,
and bring our path of light and hope to those in the great dark.

Lord Yneensh-Hur, the goddess of savior
we saved our kingdom from catastrophe,
he gave her with ultimate powers to fight,
and we will never ever surrender to darkness,
against all odds whom they challenged her,
May our kingdom run into resilient path of hope.

And prophet Zraykra, the final ruler,
he tried to face one of the great catastrophe that we had,
and there is a desperation when the Great Downfall began,
Those Demons' can show the trickery of falling stars,
and then the tormenting falling stars came crashing down,
destroying everything that we had,
those souls that we had was sent to heaven

and our kingdom reign is over and perished into darkness.
- Prayer sermon on the tablet discovered by several NASA and ESA astronauts who sent to Mars for manned mission happened on May 9th of 1971 where xenoarcheologists deciphered the Tharsisian language inscript tablet and interpreted to uncover the truths about the existence of lost technologically advanced Martian civilization that spans throughout the entire Medusa Valley, Yneeshia, and Olympus regions where they named as Olympian civilization.

Entry 8 - Ode To Ing
Bèd On Ing (Ode/Prayer To Ing)

Behàl Je, behallèd Ing
Behàl Je, Allmòðer, Allfaðer
Beherchen ůr stefen in Jij Àren
Beherchen ůr wyrd in Jij Halle

Translation [1]:
Hail to Thee, hallowed Ing
Hail to Thee, Mother All, Father All.
Hearken to our song in your ears
Hearken to our words in your hall

The Ode To Ing is the traditional opening to all Ingwin sermons and ceremonies held within the Maralder Union. It is first spoken then chanted or sung as a round by a choir and the congregation. Recently the first two lines have begun closing the ceremony as the congregants leave the Inghalle temple/chapel.

[1] NB some liberties have been taken to be poetic e.g. stefen more accurately translates as voice, and halle is a temple or church.

(Minor edits for capitals)

Last edited:
Entry 9 - Prayer to the Protector Bat
Prayer and invocation to the Protector Bat

O, Great Bat, Watch over us during our nights. Guide us safely in the dark hours whether we our in our homes or in the world. Protect us from the Laughing Man and his evil.
O, Holy Guardian of the Night, Give us the wisdom to see through the false words of the Deceiver and ward off the foul acts of the other fiends of darkness.

We need you now.

Tuthebah tipols. Ahtomik battairee stupou'air. Turbye enstoo pied.