Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

The scene with Hiram and William Fulford returning home comes to mind immediately. That was a very well handled chapter, we tend to forget that for all of its horrors war is a human thing, involving people with different mindsets and motivations. This little dive into the lives of the common men having to cope with the threath of war looming on the horizon and its effect on the rural family was an excellent read. You hooked me with that one, and I still think it's your best narrative chapter so far.

Years on and that one still seems to work! Maybe I'll have to keep it around in all versions of the story!

Honorable mentions:

Cartier and MacDonald! These two were almost the embodiement of Canada, at least before the Great War, and you seem to have a very good understanding of their relation. Their apparitions are always entertaning.

Davis inaugurational speech. That was excellent! You defenitely have grasped the tone of the Confederate President and I couldn't help but appreciate the text.

Those two, besides Seward and Lincoln, are my absolute favorite to write. They're such fun characters that I find them really easy to write.

Davis is a runner up for most interesting to me, not because I think he was a good person, but because writing someone who hates his job but believes in the terrible cause he fights for is an interesting challenge. He will definitely be one of the characters if the novel form gets off the ground properly.[/QUOTE]

Ficboy

Banned
Years on and that one still seems to work! Maybe I'll have to keep it around in all versions of the story!

Those two, besides Seward and Lincoln, are my absolute favorite to write. They're such fun characters that I find them really easy to write.

Davis is a runner up for most interesting to me, not because I think he was a good person, but because writing someone who hates his job but believes in the terrible cause he fights for is an interesting challenge. He will definitely be one of the characters if the novel form gets off the ground properly.
[/QUOTE]
Let me guess, you're Canadian and you live in one of the providences.

In less TL related stuff but something very amusing, here's a rather tongue in cheek video comparing the British infantryman firing to the average American Volunteer circa 1862:

There's a followup with the gems of comments from that little video and some commentary by these guys.

They're also doing some little 'what if' videos about a hypothetical Trent war, which I'll be keeping an eye out for. Definitely worth watching if you like looking at the comparisons between firing styles from the period and also other interesting snippets of historical shooting. They both seem well read and experienced. The videos are normally quite long though, but very interesting!

In less TL related stuff but something very amusing, here's a rather tongue in cheek video comparing the British infantryman firing to the average American Volunteer circa 1862:

That's very interesting. Thank you for sharing. If this is accurate then the British soldier seems vastly superior in performance and training than the American.

That's very interesting. Thank you for sharing. If this is accurate then the British soldier seems vastly superior in performance and training than the American.

My pleasure! I enjoy seeing work like this done having dome some historical reenacting (of the civilian kind mind you) myself. From what I have read, and from what others have done, this does seem accurate. Though I would stress that this is probably the truth that the average American volunteer in 1862 has been under arms for maybe a year while the average British regular has probably been under arms for 8-5 unless he's a total greenhorn which does make something of a difference in terms of training.

The British regulars were just that, regulars, who have spent a great deal of time undergoing drill to the point it become automatic and they can do it under fire. Similarly the Old Regulars of the US Army compared to their Volunteer brethren in 1862 would be similarly skilled (if not in musket drill, then at least in coolness under fire) which was commented on in comparison to the Volunteers even OTL. Mind you, I'd give the Volunteers of the Army of the Potomac come Gettysburg decent odds against British Regulars circa 1863 since by that point all the men under arms will have seen service for, at least, a year or two years, and undergone the horrors of places like Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chacellorsville. No way to say those men are anything but veterans!

Ficboy

Banned
My pleasure! I enjoy seeing work like this done having dome some historical reenacting (of the civilian kind mind you) myself. From what I have read, and from what others have done, this does seem accurate. Though I would stress that this is probably the truth that the average American volunteer in 1862 has been under arms for maybe a year while the average British regular has probably been under arms for 8-5 unless he's a total greenhorn which does make something of a difference in terms of training.

The British regulars were just that, regulars, who have spent a great deal of time undergoing drill to the point it become automatic and they can do it under fire. Similarly the Old Regulars of the US Army compared to their Volunteer brethren in 1862 would be similarly skilled (if not in musket drill, then at least in coolness under fire) which was commented on in comparison to the Volunteers even OTL. Mind you, I'd give the Volunteers of the Army of the Potomac come Gettysburg decent odds against British Regulars circa 1863 since by that point all the men under arms will have seen service for, at least, a year or two years, and undergone the horrors of places like Antietam, Fredericksburg, and Chacellorsville. No way to say those men are anything but veterans!
So when will you post the next chapter of your timeline. Also, my timeline has reached Chapter 14 and some photos have been added courtesy of @TheRockofChickamauga who also is a collaborator of sorts albeit too busy right now to work on it and he will go back to it when and if the time is right.

So when will you post the next chapter of your timeline. Also, my timeline has reached Chapter 14 and some photos have been added courtesy of @TheRockofChickamauga who also is a collaborator of sorts albeit too busy right now to work on it and he will go back to it when and if the time is right.

Probably the start of September. Sadly busy in real life and I want the Washington siege to come all at once.

I shall definitely check that out. Thanks for the update!

Got excited, thought it was a post....

But since people are talking anyway; I want to add my 2¢ for what it's worth.

1) Ultimately we will see a union victory and slavery abolished. I do see a longer, more protracted war, and America keeping a larger army post war. You know, just in case Albion does it again.

2) America makes a deal with France about Mexico. This gets them onside, and when the world approaches the turn of the century I could see a three sided World War 1. Central, Entente, and whatever faction America's call themselves.

3) Race relations improve immensely. America has her back to the wall and colored troops are going to be the difference between victory and defeat in several key battles as the war heats up and America begins to fight a two front war offensively.

4) Lastly, political shifts are going to occur. Depending on how long the war takes, the Capitol may be in Pennsylvania permanently. The potomac was only originally chosen as a site to placate Southerners. With them rebelling *shrugs* who cares.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. But English has been known to surprise us before. When he's ready, I'll be here to read it.

2) America makes a deal with France about Mexico. This gets them onside, and when the world approaches the turn of the century I could see a three sided World War 1. Central, Entente, and whatever faction America's call themselves.
Of course, it's all speculations but this could have tremendous consequences. If the US ends up fighting the Entente, there's no B.E.F and no Dominion troops in France, likely a smaller Grand Fleet and the Tsar can say goodbye to the supplies and funds he received from London.

Although I'm not so sure it would actually end up like that... I honestly believe the Americans are now very likely to stay neutral in TTL Great War (if said war emerge in a similar way than it did OTL of course) but, actively going to war against the Entente? I'm not convinced. They would have a lot to gain by simply staying on the side watching Europe tearing itself appart, selling weapons to both sides and pushing their agenda where they want to.

Last edited:
Got excited, thought it was a post....

But since people are talking anyway; I want to add my 2¢ for what it's worth.

1) Ultimately we will see a union victory and slavery abolished. I do see a longer, more protracted war, and America keeping a larger army post war. You know, just in case Albion does it again.

3) Race relations improve immensely. America has her back to the wall and colored troops are going to be the difference between victory and defeat in several key battles as the war heats up and America begins to fight a two front war offensively.

4) Lastly, political shifts are going to occur. Depending on how long the war takes, the Capitol may be in Pennsylvania permanently. The potomac was only originally chosen as a site to placate Southerners. With them rebelling *shrugs* who cares.

Anyway, those are my thoughts. But English has been known to surprise us before. When he's ready, I'll be here to read it.
I'd be very surprised if there was a Union victory as he's alluded to the future in a few posts and left subtle hints throughout the timeline of the future.

America makes a deal with France about Mexico. This gets them onside, and when the world approaches the turn of the century I could see a three sided World War 1. Central, Entente, and whatever faction America's call themselves.
I don't think France would go to war with Britain for the sake of Mexico.

1914 is fifty years away. There may not even be a WW1, and in any case, by that time, the US is unlikely to be basing its geopolitical strategy around events from fifty years ago (or at the very least, there will be other factors involved). Plus, there are going to be loads of butterflies between now and 1914 - for one thing, how does the unification of Germany go TTL? What if Russia has a revolution early? Do the Austrian* or Ottoman Empires manage to fix some of the problems they had OTL and survive, or do they make things worse?

*Incidentally, if Francis Joseph doesn't last as long as he did OTL, there would be so many butterflies for Eastern Europe.

So when will you be back. It's been quite a while since you've posted the timeline.

Currently working to get all the next campaign chapters done before I post. Two of a projected for are 90% done with the others in the process of being completed. I'm hoping to get it all hammered out by the end of the month, wrap up the British campaign in New York, and then go on to the more political posts of September - November of 1863 before 2020 is out.

Sadly September has robbed me of a lot of time I wanted to spend writing where I had a lot of progress when the pandemic started. Rest assured I'm still working on things though!

Of course, it's all speculations but this could have tremendous consequences. If the US ends up fighting the Entente, there's no B.E.F and no Dominion troops in France, likely a smaller Grand Fleet and the Tsar can say goodbye to the supplies and funds he received from London.

Although I'm not so sure it would actually end up like that... I honestly believe the Americans are now very likely to stay neutral in TTL Great War (if said war emerge in a similar way than it did OTL of course) but, actively going to war against the Entente? I'm not convinced. They would have a lot to gain by simply staying on the side watching Europe tearing itself appart, selling weapons to both sides and pushing their agenda where they want to.

Well I have mentioned an Imperial Entente a while ago, but as to it's composition, I couldn't possibly say! But rest assured that I personally believe the competing imperial ambitions of the 19th century in Europe, and potentially abroad here, would bring the major powers to some kind of loggerheads later in the century.

Whether the US is involved, remains to be seen.

1914 is fifty years away. There may not even be a WW1, and in any case, by that time, the US is unlikely to be basing its geopolitical strategy around events from fifty years ago (or at the very least, there will be other factors involved). Plus, there are going to be loads of butterflies between now and 1914 - for one thing, how does the unification of Germany go TTL? What if Russia has a revolution early? Do the Austrian* or Ottoman Empires manage to fix some of the problems they had OTL and survive, or do they make things worse?

*Incidentally, if Francis Joseph doesn't last as long as he did OTL, there would be so many butterflies for Eastern Europe.

As you say, fifty years is plenty of butterflies. Indeed, Bismarck only came into his own in the fall of 1862, there's many, many things that can change in the coming years...

Ficboy

Banned
Well I have mentioned an Imperial Entente a while ago, but as to it's composition, I couldn't possibly say! But rest assured that I personally believe the competing imperial ambitions of the 19th century in Europe, and potentially abroad here, would bring the major powers to some kind of loggerheads later in the century.

As you say, fifty years is plenty of butterflies. Indeed, Bismarck only came into his own in the fall of 1862, there's many, many things that can change in the coming years...
You ever heard of Until Every Drop of Blood Is Paid: A More Radical American Civil War by @Red_Galiray. It's the longest Alternate History Discussion Civil War timeline with 177 posts and 292 pages so far. Yours is as long as him albeit slightly less so.

Yeah I was (and still is) very much intrigued by your sneak peaks into the future. This Great Plan war sounds very very interesting, albeit maybe not as much as this whole regecy affair? Ah, I guess time will tell!