Wrapped in Flames: The Great American War and Beyond

I opened with the quote I did for a reason. The amount of "pie in the sky" thinking about "King Cotton" informed the Confederate outlook to an absurd degree. But I think it was partially that, when all you have is one card you tend to play it a lot. They a cotton republic more than anything at the moment. Even with Mason's rather chilly reception in London here, there will be many who come away believing that King Cotton, rather than the Trent brought England into the war.
Necessity is the mother of delusion. :p

In a rare moment of unanimity, both Davis and the House would put forward the name of John C. Breckinridge
I forget what timeline I was reading a for a bit and went "doesn't red mean the other way around? "Lol.

but seriously Oh shit

In real life Breckenridge was the best CSA sec of war even if he came to office late.with the war impiled to be going into 1867..
but hey mason being bad at diplomacy is a good sign

.well for a unionist perspective.

Necessity is the mother of delusion. :p

In this case truer words were, perhaps, never spoken. The Confederacy managed to convince themselves of all kinds of things!

but seriously Oh shit

In real life Breckenridge was the best CSA sec of war even if he came to office late.with the war impiled to be going into 1867..
but hey mason being bad at diplomacy is a good sign

.well for a unionist perspective.

Breckinridge, alongside Stephen Mallory, John H. Reagan, and George Trenholm, was probably one of the few sincerely competent men in the Confederate cabinet and government apparatus. He was an able general, a canny politician, and had he been leading the Confederate war department been led by him in 1861, it isn't impossible to imagine that the government would have been more efficient in its handling of the military. He's now stepping into the role a year early, who knows what he might accomplish?

Looks rather like there are strong divisions in the Confederate government, which isn't really a bad thing for the Union alright. Shame they seem to be able to focus together though, especially if the talks between Britain and the US fail. If Britain does pull out though, the shock is going to be a major one to the Confederates.

Interesting- this suggests that the War of Southern Aggression won't be decisively concluded until 1867- another three or four years from now! I'm guessing that sadly they will keep their independence.
Even if they do become independent, it doesn't mean they're necessarily going to enjoy it. Britain and France probably didn't appreciate the Confederate arrogance in trying to obtain their support via cotton embargoes, and neither particularly likes slavery.

Looks rather like there are strong divisions in the Confederate government, which isn't really a bad thing for the Union alright. Shame they seem to be able to focus together though, especially if the talks between Britain and the US fail. If Britain does pull out though, the shock is going to be a major one to the Confederates.

Discord and the Confederate government were harmonious practically from the moment of secession. The major players got along just enough that they managed to keep the Confederacy groping along, but they never really managed a coherent national policy. By 1863 the government had essentially crystalized around the pro-Davis and anti-Davis factions. Davis usually managed to play quite a canny game by getting the support of states like Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi and Virginia on his side, and since many of those states were cut off or occupied, they didn't have to worry about votes or losing the pro-Davis representatives if things went south. The anti-Davis faction however, was not as coherent as it could be, and largely depended on influential men like Wigfall and Alexander Stephens for clout. They never really could reign Davis in, but in this scenario they have a piece of from a catastrophe that is even bigger than Lee's loss at Gettysburg, and come 1864 they might manage to gain one more...

John_C._Breckinridge_CSA_cropped.jpg

John C. Breckinridge, the new Confederate Secretary of War
Man who can grow a moustache that long, can no doubt achieve anything he sets his mind to.

Happy Canada Day readers! May the Yankees be driven south of the 49th parallel and the Union Jack be raised over Toronto once more! Then let's get ready to read about a Monck and his allmighty Godley!

ViscountMonck.jpg

Incidentally, happy anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and RIP to the Commander of V Corps of the Army of the Potomac for his bold and noble sacrifice in another timeline!

Unfortunately, family festivities will delay the next chapter until next Saturday, but it will be up and then followed closely by the British political chapter and then we look back at what went on in the rest of the world in the year 1863, then we jump into the events of 1864, the campaigns on the battlefield, and at the ballot box!

What's the chapter where it says which troops were chosen to be sent north from the west?

Chapters 19 and 20 have the allocations, and then there's the detailed OOB breakdown after Chapter 21 for who went where when I originally wrote it up so many years ago.

I basically raided Grant's army to bring Smith a command and then poached from the Army of the Potomac (namely Sumner's corps) to create the Army of the Hudson while putting Blenker's "spare" division alongside it with Burnside's troops who were originally slated to invade the Carolinas.

Just caught up on this TL! This is another real gem of a find for me! I am eagerly anticipating the next chapter after this hiatus

Thank you! I'm glad you've enjoyed it! I will be getting back to work on this TL soon, real life has been obscenely busy recently and I have three chapters in various stages of completion. I had hoped to finish 1863 before 2022, but at this rate I'm merely hoping I can get all the politics wrapped up by Christmas.

Chapters 19 and 20 have the allocations, and then there's the detailed OOB breakdown after Chapter 21 for who went where when I originally wrote it up so many years ago.

I basically raided Grant's army to bring Smith a command and then poached from the Army of the Potomac (namely Sumner's corps) to create the Army of the Hudson while putting Blenker's "spare" division alongside it with Burnside's troops who were originally slated to invade the Carolinas.

Thank you! I'm glad you've enjoyed it! I will be getting back to work on this TL soon, real life has been obscenely busy recently and I have three chapters in various stages of completion. I had hoped to finish 1863 before 2022, but at this rate I'm merely hoping I can get all the politics wrapped up by Christmas.
Take all the time you need. As @MonarchistCanuck mentioned, this TL is a gem. As long as you don't abandon it, I'm happy to wait as long as necessary. Hope life treats you well and I look forward to what you put out next!