Would you have lasted in 1983?

If Able Archer has indeed led to war in 1983, how would you/your family have fared?

My dad was at school in Cornwall at the time, near Truro. Probably burned when Falmouth potentially goes kaput. Imagine mum was in Bristol so similar story. Yikes

We lived about 15 miles from Buffalo, NY, so probably wouldn't get hit by any bombs dropped there or at Niagara Falls, but the fallout might get us.

I was a few months old, living on the West Coast of New Zealand's South Island. Short of the Soviets nuking Christchurch, I think I am pretty safe.

I'm in Saginaw Michigan, which had 2 bombs targeting it. Then let's talk flint that had 3 and midland 1, bay city 1 and as you go south i75 glows in the dark and burns to toledo . If it was 87 I was in DC.. And ash

Tovarich

Banned
East Anglia/Little America?

No chance, if anything in the UK did somehow survive (unlikely) it ain't going to be in this region.

I'm in Saginaw Michigan, which had 2 bombs targeting it. Then let's talk flint that had 3 and midland 1, bay city 1 and as you go south i75 glows in the dark and burns to toledo . If it was 87 I was in DC.. And ash

Where did you find a map of potential targets in North America?

By the way, since at the time I lived (and still do) perhaps 15 miles as the crow flies from City Hall in Philadelphia, had Able Archer gone hot, chances are excellent I wouldn't be here right now. Let's say this: pretty much the entire northeast corridor from Boston to Washington was one sprawling potential target area.

Last edited:
I was in grad school in the Central Valley of California USA. Not the best place. Even would have killed the crab grass and cockroaches. Best estimates were about 10,000 rads minimum. You name it, we were down wind from it. Yikes! Railroad town. SAC bases. Population centers. Party until you start to glow .... then drop over dead. Yikes! :(

Where did you find a map of potential targets in North America?

By the way, since at the time I lived (and still do) perhaps 15 miles as the crow flies from City Hall in Philadelphia, had Able Archer gone hot, chances are excellent I wouldn't be here right now. Let's say this: pretty much the entire northeast corridor from Boston to Washington was one sprawling potential target area.
Fema has a map..
Just type fema Nuke map

The other source is their is a declassified breakdown of where the soviets planned to hit. Philly through king of Prussia was pretty screwed But in reality living anywhere from Halifax south to roenoke pretty much meant you were screwed on the east cost .

I lived about 30 miles to the East of London and near a major oil refinery, if that wasn't targetted by a nuke and that didn't get us, then the radiation would have killed the 3 year old me and my family.

The majority of posters on this board (myself included) weren't even born in 1983, and due to the massive butterflies never would be.
72 here

Things like day after, threads, fallout shelters . Was real fear.. Then it all one day just went poof with the utter collapse of the Soviet Union and Warsaw pact, Germany reunited . No Berlin Wall.. it was like asb were flying everywhere

Last edited:
Given that there were multiple major industrial sites in my area, along with the fact that we're in the vicinity of the New York and Philly metro areas, I figure that if we weren't vaporized immediately, we would be in for an incredibly awful time.