You're probably just haven't found the right one.

They can be terrible, or delicious. Beef steak tomatoes are fantastic with a little salt and pepper. The little cherry ones are wonderful by themself.

But if I had to eat a standard grocery store one they're vile. Absolutely vile.

The other day I bought two labled as "beefsteak" tomatoes. They were just large red shitty standard tomatoes, I didn't find out till I bit in.

That reminds me: I think tomatoes might've tasted significantly different back in antiquity. Crops evolve, after all.

Kaze

Banned
You forgot about pies and tarts.

Green Tomatoes could be used in pies and tarts sauced with honey and sugar.

One of the bog bodies found in England's last meal had the consistency of apple pie.

Tomatoes grow well in poor Rocky soil. Being able to grow in an area when nothing else will grow will make it popular out of the desire to avoid going hungry

That reminds me: I think tomatoes might've tasted significantly different back in antiquity. Crops evolve, after all.

Fruits have been selectively bred for sweetness over hundreds of years. Prior to that, the fruits would taste less sweet and more acidic.

Apples originally tasted like crap, after all. But they weren't usually grown to eat, but to turn into cider and so on, so that didn't matter.