Would McCarthyism Have Happened if Dewey Had Defeated Truman?

If Dewey had defeated Truman as expected and a Republican was in the White House in the early 1950s, would McCarthyism have still happened? Remember, if McCarthy wants to cry wolf about Communism in the State Department he'd be attacking a Republican President. Would McCarthy have tried to uncover Communists in areas other than the federal government, or would he focus his political energies on other issues entirely?

If Dewey had defeated Truman as expected and a Republican was in the White House in the early 1950s, would McCarthyism have still happened? Remember, if McCarthy wants to cry wolf about Communism in the State Department he'd be attacking a Republican President. Would McCarthy have tried to uncover Communists in areas other than the federal government, or would he focus his political energies on other issues entirely?
I feel like it could still happen. I mean, if he was willing to attack America's militarymen, then I feel like he wouldn't be uncomfortable with it under a republican.

I feel like it could still happen. I mean, if he was willing to attack America's militarymen, then I feel like he wouldn't be uncomfortable with it under a republican.

McCarthy may join up with Taft in forming the right wing opposition to Dewey in the Senate. Dewey will have to work with the Republican leadership and liberal Democrats to pass his domestic policies and stop McCarthy. (Essentially what Ike did four years later). Except that I can see Dewey, who was publically opposed to the excesses of the Red Scare (in fact this helped him win the nomination in 1948) being more willing to counter McCarthy outright and in the public eye instead of working behind the scenes.