Worst Screws in AH

For smaller-scale screws, a good example would be Sweden in The North Star is Red, as Beria's USSR kills 1/4th of the Swedish population through unleashing a full-yield 100 megaton Tsar Bomba on Stockholm (a heavy concentration of the Swedish population in one city coupled with such a high-yield bomb resulted in such a disaster). The nuclear attack wipes out the Swedish government, causes Sweden and Denmark to enter a personal union, and drives Swedish politics to the radical right. While Sweden is recovering by the "present day", getting reconstruction aid from the rest of Western Europe, the fact the USSR killed a fourth of the Swedish population is bound to be a traumatic experience for Sweden.
Damn.

John Farson

Banned
You can't really beat the Euro-screw that is The Years of Rice and Salt, can you?

It's like: congratulations, you just don't get to exist anymore.

How does that even work?

Not even the native peoples of the Americas had it that bad when they were ravaged by Old World diseases... And a plague that virulent and deadly would basically cause a Captain Trips scenario throughout Eurasia and North Africa, not just Europe.

How does that even work?

Not even the native peoples of the Americas had it that bad when they were ravaged by Old World diseases... And a plague that virulent and deadly would basically cause a Captain Trips scenario throughout Eurasia and North Africa, not just Europe.

Agree. Even with Medieval medicine and knowledge you don't get such mortality. It just work that way. Probably OTL mortality of Black Death was pretty much highest possible what there realistically could had been.

Skallagrim

Banned
How does that even work?

The premise is totally unrealistic. It's essentially just an excuse to write a high-concept book about a scenario where Western culture gets nixed. The book is very interesting, even if everyone on this site will see it as an ASB scenario. (Doubly so because of the whole reincarnation meta-plot, of course.)

I personally like YoRAS, even if the PoD is unrealistic.

Maybe the ASBs behind the event gave the European's immune systems to the native Americans, so that's why they aren't curb-stomped by the impending forces of both China and the Muslim world at once?

This makes me wonder, what defines a screw for a nation wanked otl? Would a Britain that holds less of India and thus has less interest in the middle east and subsequently no Egyptian protectorate be a screw? Would that and not having Austrialia be?

Is an american screw losing the mexican American war and then the civil war, but gaining land in Africa? That's Mexico Ascendant.

This makes me wonder, what defines a screw for a nation wanked otl?
Usually involve a high body count I presume (either in the sense of actual mountain of skulls or lack of people born).

Now that I think about it, my own timeline (To the last letter, but screw the spirit) did screw over India with a decades long civil war that ended up being the bloodiest war in that 20th century. Weird part is that no other country in that timeline really got screwed.

It's almost an alt-history cliche that in scenarios where the US loses territory it has in our timeline, usually to the CSA but occasionally to Mexico or an independent Texas or California, they'll annex some or all of Canada as a sort of weird compensation.
Gotta channel that Manifest Destiny into something, you know?

Does "worst" mean low quality or high density?

If low quality, Turk screws. They're in every fucking timeline dude, can we please at least get a timeline where Turkey holds a non-zero amount of land in Europe?

Gotta channel that Manifest Destiny into something, you know?

We should make a countryball comic:
Russia: So, muricaland, according to our new map taking technics, it seems that you do not really control all the land you think you do, there is this small noticeable island south of Puerto Rico that is actually Spanish territory.
USA: So I'm smaller?
Russia: like, one and a half mile smaller than you tough.

Canada: Oh God someone help me!!!

How does that even work?

For all summaries I've got, it seems that Europe is actually like OTL American natives, there still native europeans but their numbers are so small that they're considered a protected people in danger of extinction.

Does "worst" mean low quality or high density?

If low quality, Turk screws. They're in every fucking timeline dude, can we please at least get a timeline where Turkey holds a non-zero amount of land in Europe?
Technically parts of Turkey even today are in Europe. If you wanted, say, a Turk buff, there was a discussion here. https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/turk-buffs.484740/
Nationalism will always be a problem for them, though.

Interesting to hear how so many nations get screwed in such a variety of ways. In the timeline of my unfinished series of books (I hope to finish in the next year or two), everyone in the world gets screwed simultaneously!

All of South America minus Chile in New Deal Coalition Retained Pt II: World on Fire: WWIII, poverty, mass destruction, corruption, hurricanes and finally a pandemic that’s kills 81 million people making them bleed to death only to be followed by a cult of radical Neo-Incan movement that includes human sacrifices.

Technically parts of Turkey even today are in Europe. If you wanted, say, a Turk buff, there was a discussion here. https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/turk-buffs.484740/
Nationalism will always be a problem for them, though.

Yes, in OTL. Every other timeline that deviates from OTL in Thrace/Anatolia has Turkey as smaller than OTL. Like all those "alternate future of europe" that were popular a while ago that had Greece go and conquer places that would make Greeks a minority in their country.

xsampa

Banned
Yes, in OTL. Every other timeline that deviates from OTL in Thrace/Anatolia has Turkey as smaller than OTL. Like all those "alternate future of europe" that were popular a while ago that had Greece go and conquer places that would make Greeks a minority in their country.
Also Kurdistan/Pontus/Istanbul

Japan in Decisive Darkness. In that timeline, the coup that sought to continue fighting after the bombing of Nagasaki succeeds, leading to a long, bloody, nuclear and chemical-weapon-filled nightmare of starvation, balkanization, royal deaths and political upheaval.