WorldWar DBWI: The TL-191 Discussion Thread

It was a unique series, to say the least, repetition and bad sex scenes aside. The Harry Turtledove Mega-Series, covering from the Civil War to the Great War to the World War with the Race, and then speculation beyond. (It was rather amusing to hear the accounts of the first Ambassador to Home, Sam Yeagar, comment on how similar in some respects Turtledove's last novel was compared to Yeagar's own trip, despite Turtledove releasing before he came back.)

What did you all think overall, though?

He needs a good editor for one.

His early short stories were not bad; indeed, they may even come as a surprise to you in light of his recent failings. 'Ready for the Motherland' and 'The Phantom Skorzeny' both had a smooth pastiche of action, humor and good writing that it makes one wonder how an author like him could fall for the Jim Clancee trap of repetitive cash-forkouts.

Yep, he needs a good editor. His last 191 book, In At Home, had three repeated chapters! My god, man, that was a waste of a hundred plus pages that should have gone into more detail of what Home was like - no matter how unrealistic it would be in light of Yeager's return.

I heard he's working on a speculative novel dealing with what the world would be like if the Lizards never showed up. I'd like to see his take on it.

I heard he's working on a speculative novel dealing with what the world would be like if the Lizards never showed up. I'd like to see his take on it.

Presumably, given his current style of writing, it would be full of tedious, boring repetitions and awkward sex scenes.

I so miss his earlier works.

But if the Lizards hadn't shown up, I think the Allies would have knocked the living nuts out of Germany and Japan, despite them being capable of producing nuclear weapons as the WorldWar had shown. Then after its done, the United States and the British Empire would have stared at each other in a long war of glarings and moanings and bickerings of who has the biggest nuclear arsenal in the world. A Cold War, basically, like what had happened between us and the Lizards before Sam Yeager came back from Home.