World War Z map

I'd just like to point out that China had no safe zones. I think it was in that interview with the Chinese nuclear sub captain that explained that the PLA flat out refused to cut their losses; their arrogance prevented them from leaving a single city to Zack. That's why it took so much longer for China to recover (well, that and their massive population).

The Chinese did hold out in places (the fact that there is a China left proves that) and the United Federation of China implemented the Redeker Plan immediatly when they came to power.

Here is what we know.
1. The Politburo was holed up in Xilinhotat the end of the civil war, implying that the Chinese still have some control of Outer Mongolia. (I know, I didn't put Outer Mongolia on my map, I'm sorry alright.)
2. Tibet came out of the war as the most populous nation on the planet. So do to geography and assuming Tibet doesn't have control of Qinghai, it's natural to assume that Qinghai is mostly Zombie free.
3. The first interview in the book takes place in Chongqing.

mowque

Banned
Can someone who's familiar with actual military equipment and tactics explain how you would use nukes, bombs, artillery, etc. against zombies? I know in the book it's explained that you need to destroy the brain to really destroy the zombie, and those weapons are generally designed around destroying the body. Obviously, this would make them less threatening, but how much so?

Your looking at it wrong. Put it this way. Your being attacked by an army of foot bound, unarmed soldiers, with no plan or organization. They are stupid, rather slow, and have no real learning process. Now, put that way, why would they stand a chance against a finely tuned killing machine like the American army?

The Chinese did hold out in places (the fact that there is a China left proves that) and the United Federation of China implemented the Redeker Plan immediatly when they came to power.

Yes, I remember. But by that point, China was already fucked. IIRC, it was a few years after the start of the plague, so extrapolating from what we know of the PLA's doctrine, there wouldn't exactly be a whole lot of people left to save. I'd wager that most of China's remaining population survived up in Siberia and later returned home.

Here is what we know.
1. The Politburo was holed up in Xilinhotat the end of the civil war, implying that the Chinese still have some control of Outer Mongolia. (I know, I didn't put Outer Mongolia on my map, I'm sorry alright.)
I wouldn't say they'd be in control of much. Half the surviving PLA was rebelling, and I'd bet the Party isn't exactly lead by an intelligent, charismatic figure if he let the situation in China deteriorate as it did. They'd most likely have command of the area immediately surrounding the bunker. Not exactly a safe zone.

2. Tibet came out of the war as the most populous nation on the planet. So do to geography and assuming Tibet doesn't have control of Qinghai, it's natural to assume that Qinghai is mostly Zombie free.
Fair enough

3. The first interview in the book takes place in Chongqing.
Yes, a decade after the war ended. How do we know that the remaining population of Chongqing didn't flee during the war and returned later, like the interviewee, Kwang Jing-shu? (Granted, he didn't flee, but was imprisoned)

truth is life said:
Obviously, this would make them less threatening, but how much so?

They don't necessarily become less threatening. If a land mine or artillery shell blows off a zombie's legs but the arms are intact, it can still crawl through the long grass and bite your ankle, right? And now, instead of a easy to see threat, you have a hard to detect one.

mowque said:
Your being attacked by an army of foot bound, unarmed soldiers, with no plan or organization. They are stupid, rather slow, and have no real learning process.

That enemy also cannot suffer from low moral. They cannot feel fatigue. They do not need food, or medicine, or ammunition, or leadership. They never take breaks, they never relent, they never surrender.

Now, put that way, why would they stand a chance against a finely tuned killing machine like the American army?
That "finely tuned killing machine" is trained for dealing with opponents that can be killed with shrapnel to the torso or with extreme concussive force, or demoralized into surrendering after a loss of leadership. The zombies in the book require each need a bullet through the head. That immediately rules out the use of the air force and the navy (unless you can get every single bomb and missile to hit a zombie's head, which is unlikely), and rules out all armoured vehicles of the army and marines (again, unless you can aim every shot of the tank's cannon to take off a zombie's head). All the stores of chemical and biological agents are useless too, since the enemy isn't breathing (Ukraine tried it, they blanketed Kiev with chemical? agents, and all it did was kill the remaining living people). The infantry wouldn't be immediately useful either, since they are trained to shoot at the centre of mass, not the head.

Despite what impression video games may give you, hitting a target as small as a human head at a distance is a really mean feat, especially if it is moving. It would require quite a few months, possibly years, training to get the infantry to be as proficient a fighting force as the Pentagon would need it to be, and that amount of time gives Zack ample opportunity to bulk up his ranks by a few hundred thousand (possibly millions).

mowque

Banned
That enemy also cannot suffer from low moral. They cannot feel fatigue. They do not need food, or medicine, or ammunition, or leadership. They never take breaks, they never relent, they never surrender.

That "finely tuned killing machine" is trained for dealing with opponents that can be killed with shrapnel to the torso or with extreme concussive force, or demoralized into surrendering after a loss of leadership. The zombies in the book require each need a bullet through the head. That immediately rules out the use of the air force and the navy (unless you can get every single bomb and missile to hit a zombie's head, which is unlikely), and rules out all armoured vehicles of the army and marines (again, unless you can aim every shot of the tank's cannon to take off a zombie's head). All the stores of chemical and biological agents are useless too, since the enemy isn't breathing (Ukraine tried it, they blanketed Kiev with chemical? agents, and all it did was kill the remaining living people). The infantry wouldn't be immediately useful either, since they are trained to shoot at the centre of mass, not the head.

Despite what impression video games may give you, hitting a target as small as a human head at a distance is a really mean feat, especially if it is moving. It would require quite a few months, possibly years, training to get the infantry to be as proficient a fighting force as the Pentagon would need it to be, and that amount of time gives Zack ample opportunity to bulk up his ranks by a few hundred thousand (possibly millions).

Wouldn't they have to eat? (I havn't read the book, but this just seems like a inevitable).

But to your biggest point. Ok, so we have a mass of Zombies and a blast them with a missile (perferbely from a helicopter). So, I didn't exactly hit their heads. Their bodies are still going to be in a number of pieces. The threat they pose is EXTREMELY limited now. Their sense are impaired, mobility can be gone, and a few are just vaporized, headshot or not. This goes for many big calibers. Even if a large gun misses the head, it will still impair the zombie and make it easier to kill.

Despite all your talk of 'training' and 'uselessness' armies are very good at blowing things up.

That "finely tuned killing machine" is trained for dealing with opponents that can be killed with shrapnel to the torso or with extreme concussive force, or demoralized into surrendering after a loss of leadership. The zombies in the book require each need a bullet through the head. That immediately rules out the use of the air force and the navy (unless you can get every single bomb and missile to hit a zombie's head, which is unlikely),

I dunno, bombs are pretty powerful. Obliterating the zombie works just as well as holing its head.

and rules out all armoured vehicles of the army and marines (again, unless you can aim every shot of the tank's cannon to take off a zombie's head).

Running them over would destroy their heads pretty well.
And again, shells are powerful.

Anyway.
Personally I definatly subscribe to the Shaun of the Dead idea of zombies; they're crap. Zombies wouldn't stand a chance, they'd never get anywhere unless the plague was also a regular infectious disease with zombism as just one side effect.
Though a soldier would shoot for the centre of mass when attacked a normal person would strike at the head with whatever they're holding.

Oh and, the zombies don't have to eat.

I realize bombs are quite powerful against living opponents, thank you. But that doesn't matter. Bombs just as aren't effective against zombies as they are against the living. I'll try to make a comparison.

Say there are a dozen enemy soldiers standing guard around their commander. A helicopter gunship from your military launches a missile at the commander, which is a direct hit. The commander and the two guard immediately next him are blown to bits. The half dozen guards in a few metres radius are blown back, lose a few limbs and are killed instantly from the pressure of the explosion. The last few guards are showered with shrapnel, which create quite a few new holes in their bodies. They die in a few minutes time after bleeding out. All 13 are dead.

Now, say there a dozen zombies surrounding a single person. A helicopter gunship from your military launches a missile at the unlucky person, as he is at the centre of the approaching undead and is doomed anyway. It is a direct hit and the person, and the two zombies who were already eating him, are blown to bits. The half dozen who were within a few metres radius are blown back, and lose a few limbs. They "survive" as the ghouls are quite immune to explosive pressure (see the Battle of Yonkers), and since zombies can't feel pain, their bodies do not shut down like a living person's would. The last few zombies are showered with shrapnel, which create quite a few new holes in their bodies. They "survive" almost as if nothing happened; with no blood to lose through the holes and no capacity for feeling pain, the effects are minimal. 1 person and two zombies are dead, 6 zombies are damaged but still able to move and thus still a threat, and 4 zombies have virtually no damage.

Unless military doctrine devolves into simply carpet bombing, bombs are quite inefficient as zombie killing weapons. But such a tactic is unfeasible. The US alone needed to eliminate 200,000,000+ undead, China 600,000,000+. Even if Zack was all clumped together, and the militaries had unmolested production in their safe zones and an uninterrupted fuel supply, that is still a tall order to fill.

Running them over would destroy their heads pretty well.
That might work well for whatever undead might be on roads or in fields, but what about the zombies in the sewers? Underwater? In buildings, alleys, metros, jungles and anywhere else tanks can't move through?

they'd never get anywhere
IIRC, Solanum has an incubation period of about a day. The way Brooks has the plague spread isn't all that ASB. That's certainly enough time for a infected someone and their scared family to get smuggled out of China and get to Paris or New York or Tokyo before reanimating. And who in the government and military would immediately recognize the zombie threat? Those of us who are fans of the genre might see the threat for what it is, but which sounds more likely to most people: infectious rabies or zombiism?

The individual effectiveness of a bomb against zombies is irrelevant when a group of attack helicopters could destroy hundreds at a time. Mines and artillery can contain the spread once quarantine is put into place. Failing that, nukes.

Put it this way. Brainless, semi-decomposed walking corpses versus organizations built for the soul purpose of destruction.

Yaraday, do me a favor and look up a little device called the 'proximity fuse' will you?

And carpet bombing/massed artillery would be absolutely devestating too zombie hordes out in the open. In World War 2, Russian artillery, lined up wheel-wheel, would leave literally nothing left standing above ground and only a few survivors in cover (as an aside, B-52 runs in Vietnam would have similar effects). Since zombies don't use fortifications, you just need to lure a horde into a kill zone and blast away. Proximity fuses would increse the kill-power against zombie tremendously.

Yes, the US army lost at Yonker's, but then again, the US Army at Yonker's were balls-up idiots more interested in looking good for the media then destroying the enemy. No real army officer looks at an OOB that says the enemy consists entirely of light infantry who are only dangerous in close combat and then proceed to give their armored vehicles anti-tank loadouts.

And according too the Yonker's vet, the US armies heavy weapons was killing zombies quite handily until they simply ran out of ammunition.

Last edited:
Hey, just trying to play devil's advocate here :p

But it seems to be making me look rather stupid, so I'm going to stop. I concede.

Not to bump my own thread but I always forget to say this.

I think the Czech Republic has split into what was Moravia and Bohemia. Remember that part where "The Wako" mentions him and the "Big Guy" voting against releasing prisoners into zombie infested areas because European countries that where doing that sometimes fond fiefdoms of criminals, and that some had gotten big enough that those governments couldn't retake them.

I have to go now but there is more that I'm going to say later.

To all those saying that World War Z was implausible: the point wasn't that zombies are incredibly dangerous (in fact, it is said several times in the book that the threat could have been easily stopped), but that our current governments and societies just couldn't handle it responsibly. It's a moral lesson of sorts, not a warning about them dastardly zombies.

By the way, all those who are saying "Bombs could kill all the zombies", keep in mind how much time and effort it takes to make a bomb, and then consider how many zombies there are. It's just a horribly skewed efficency ratio, and I'm pretty sure this was pionted out in the book too. Also consider that the system that we know is in shambles in the book, making it even harder to do things like make weapons.

By the way, all those who are saying "Bombs could kill all the zombies", keep in mind how much time and effort it takes to make a bomb, and then consider how many zombies there are. It's just a horribly skewed efficency ratio, and I'm pretty sure this was pionted out in the book too. Also consider that the system that we know is in shambles in the book, making it even harder to do things like make weapons.

They're already made.
Making them once the zombies have the world would be a bit daft but at the start but there is plenty in the arsenals of the world already ready for a human war.

Here is my question:

After a zombie decimation of large swaths of Europe and Africa, with some of these nations having none or very few safe zones, wouldn't most of these nations exist through tradition only? I mean look at it reasonably: If Tibet is the most populated nation on the world, then the rest of the world is severely under populated in most places (taking into account the likely millions of Chinese and Indians who could have sought refuge in Tibet, boosting the population tremendously.) Lets take for example, Poland. I believe in the book that most of Europe had fallen before the Redecker Plan was formulated and put into effect (correct my if I'm wrong.) By this logic, only a small percentage of the Polish population would have had real knowledge of the zombie threat until it literally was in their cities and countryside. Given the speed in which zombies can overwhelm a nation, this given Poland a very short amount of time to evacuate civilians and military forces. In all likelyhood, part of the government was able to escape, either to Slovakia, Scotland, Spain, or the large safe zone in the Alps region, the military probably saved some of itself, but as for the general public, very few of them would have had the opportunity to flee to safety (some might have fled into Western Europe, only to be trapped and killed/infected in the urban centers.) In all likelyhood, only a few ten-thousands of ethnic Poles maximum escaped Poland for a safezone and survived the war. When they returned to Poland, they might find a few thousand more scattered survivors throughout the countryside. So at max, the largest number of people that could have escaped from Poland and survived the war to return would be at 100,000 persons (absolute maximum.) This is not a sufficient population to populate and maintain a nation the size of Poland, and many would likely want to remain in populated areas to the west rather than return to their abandoned country that has fewer citizens than the numbers France lost in WWII. Taken this situation in Africa, where most people have little to no warning and no ability to fight or escape, there would likely be large bands of the Earth that would be completely unpopulated, therefore the map showing these nations would be from a traditional standpoint only, and would not respect the situation on the ground.

Ah so this is where the thread was. I had a pseudo-TL where WWZ occurred in 2010 (I wrote it in 2008) and events occurred according to the book. Stuff afterwards got changed.

And yes, this is a total deja vu of Hawkeye's map.

worldwarz.png

To be a completely annoying Newb and revive a totally dead thread:

Nice colouring Dire, however the names and borders you created almost entirely do not match those that are explained in books. and where does Wave 2 come from?

I'm going to start making some maps myself as I'm reading the books, unfortunately I don't have any graphics programs (I'm poor) so I do my maps analog (ie. by hand, paper and pen) so any scans I upload might not be that high of quality. I'm gonna try to make 5 maps based on the info I have from all three books. I'm gonna based them loosely on the era's I break up the war which are:
* Pre-Outbreak - the isolated incidents throughout history before Patient Zero
* Initial Outbreak / The Great Denial - Period between Patient Zero and the Great Panic, Major Events include: Patient Zero, the Cape Town Incident
* The Great Panic - short period where the governments have lost most of their control over the populations in panic. Major Events include: The Boat Swarms, Go North, Battle of Yonkers
* Redeker Era / Survival Era - period that the Redeker Plans were instilled and governments reformed. Major Events include: Retreat to the West, Battle of Five Colleges, Rebuilding the Government
* Offensive Era - the period that the governments put offensive onto the zombie plague. Major Events include: Battle of Hope, Road to New York, VA Day, VE Day, VC Day.
* Cleanup Era - the period between Victory in the world and total destruction of Solanum.

Heres the map concepts:
* The first would be a spread effect map, showing the locations of all prewar cases (I'm thinking up to The Great Panic) from books Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z, and Zombie Survival Guide: Recorded Attacks, This map will combine blips marking where the attacks occur, and lines connecting these blips to show how the virus spread(ed?).
* The second is set IMMEDIATELY after the Redeker Plans of most major countries are established, showing Blue Safe Zones, Red Abandoned Zones and White Zones (and of course the other special zones in the US), national Borders will be for the most part removed from the map, except for those that effected the spread (for example Isreals border).
* Third Map, which I possibly won't make, demonstrates Human movements, things like the Great Panic, The Road to New York, The Indian Diaspora into Iran, the following Nuclear war, and so on.
* Fourth map shows the state of the worlds political borders and the still infested areas Immediately AFTER VC Day, which is considered the end of the war.
* Fifth and final shows the state of the world at the time of the book World War Z was written in world.

now finally I'd like to make some comments on discussions here now that I've read the whole thread:

In regards to Zombies not eating. this is definately a mistake by Mr.Brooks, but not one that could potentially be explained. For one we know that the Solanum is a highly efficient Virus, one could easily say that what the solanum does is convert minute amounts of material in the body into large amounts of energy, at the highest efficiency rate plausible. This would help explain why the instinct to eat is still present, instead of merely an instinctive urge to bite. this way they can convert the meat into energy instead of converting the host body. however if the Zombie has not processed any meat, the Virus is just gonna take energy by converting the body itself, which would speed up decay but a very slow rate as again, the Virus does it with high efficiency. the preference for Human meat is perfectly understandable as the virus has localised itself to only rewrite human DNA (if you don't know, Viruses don't have true DNA or reproductive qualities, which is why scientists cannot accurately place them as either life or non-life, instead what Viruses do is they hijack a host organisms DNA and rewrites, so that the Protein builders read "virus DNA" instead of the normal dna, and so they create more Virus organisms) as a reproductive, which is how Virus' tend to work anyway, why you generally cannot catch Swine Flu from Pigs (to use this as an example, what would've happened was, at some point a Swine Flu Virus had mutated to be able to rewrite Human DNA and came into contact with a Human.). The whole theory works with Brooks' description of Zombies, He just didn't think of it, it should be noted that the Zombie Survival Guide states that scientist do not yet understand how zombies continue to have energy to move (which I interpret as Brooks' way of saying "I couldn't come up with a reason by the deadline").... So yes you COULD try to "outlast" the Zombie. but It'll decompose instead of starve, and because of the pseudo-embalming that Solanum does to human flesh (Decomposers reject Solanum, as it is toxic to all living things) it's gonna be around 3 to 5 years give or take depending on environment. It should be noted also that the original Redeker plan was to outlast the Zombies, and they technically were able to, BUT the restructured US government decided the best thing for the spirit of humanity as a whole was to slowly exterminate and reclaim the land, otherwise we might've just killed ourselves through depression and low morale, leaving behind only nomadic people (a sort of Class 5 or 4.5 outbreak if you will).

The idea that All animals fear Zombies is somewhat realistic and somewhat not. Many animals can smell certain things. things we barely understand. Birds we think understand electromagnetic fields (which is why they can sense what direction they are flying), many other animals get nervous or spooked when big weather like Tornadoes or thunderstorms. It could be that Solanum just produces a smell that incites fear and aggression in animals. So animals with keen sense of smell would react in such a way, meaning mostly mammals and some reptiles. Birds wouldn't even really need to since they aren't effected by Zombies almost all, easily being able to fly away. insects are insects... and fish are only eaten by zombies who actually find them, otherwise Solanum doesn't habitat water.

I totally understand the debate over the US militaries efficiencies in the book. For one The actual Battle of Yonkers is literally the only incident where the Military acts stupid. from there on it's retreat, regroup, Redeker Plan.
Second you have to understand the mental state our country is in at that time. people already were war weary from the Iraqi and Afghanistan wars in the book. basically think of the US as have a culture very similar to that of the culture is had between World War I and World War II. not very patriotic, slightly anti military, broken economy. though the Iraq/Afghan conflicts aren't nearly as taxing on us as many of our other wars, it was made so by the media. already you can see it in our culture, people are sick and tired of the war, the economy sucks, and they barely trust the government.
If The Battle of Yonkers had been up against your normal enemies, it would have been a brilliantly designed battle, winning a decisive moral victory. the Citizens of the US wanted to see the military actually using their funding, big bad toys and guys in big armour crushing the enemy in massive explosions. as stupid as this sounds to military buffs, it's not that uncommon, I've heard stories of the same thing happening to many of the vets I know, particularly in Vietnam.
Finally I am reading the Battle of Yonkers section RIGHT NOW and Todd Waino even mentions that all the military leaders thought the battles set up was stupid, but they were goaded by the politicians and media into doing it. which again, HAS happened in real life. theres been many times where the military made a STUPID tactical move because the Politicians MADE them, thinking they would look good and tough and kick ass to their citizens. I think Invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan might be good examples (Iraq we kinda did a good think in there I guess, taking down a evil power but... there still wasn't any real good excuse beyond the KNOWN Hussein / Bush family fued. Afghanistan I support, not because of War on Terror, but because we cleaned up the total fucking mess we made in there trying to beat russia during the cold war, but I won't get into politics). So I can fully believe a total mess like the Battle of Yonkers would happen.

Now in regards to weapons, A) nukes are out of the picture, because like people said, nukes only kill zombies in the blast radius, and irradiate those within the cloud, plus that then makes the places you've nuked uninhabitable. Nukes in general are stupid weapons that can end the world as we know it. I feel like they are the modern day equivalent (except much worse) to WWI massive Chemical Warfare attacks. Stupid things that yeah sure kill alot of the enemy, but it's not about KILLING the enemy... it's about defeating the enemy. the US Military is not a killing Machine, it's a peacemaker, whether it has to do that by hunting down every single terrorist, or by just THREATENING to invade, it's about ending conflict and protecting the US. Preferably in a that saves the most lives on both sides.

so moving on, Missile Massing again was explained in the books, as they fired their missiles at a big group of zombies and took out three quarters of them. It works great until you run out of them, and Missiles mostly do psychological and superficial damage then direct. the reason they win battles is because they hurt people enough to make them totally fear continuing to fight against them. Zombies have no fear. and as long as they can move they do. so where as the missiles would've totally annihilated a Human group like the zombies, because you'd've hurt all of them enough to not continue fighting, the Zombies however that WERENT obliterated would still be moving any way they could. Todd even talks about heads that go flying INTO the human ranks, still trying to bite something. For those of you who said they could just keep bombing untill there was no more bits left, remember that the US Economy is in shambles, half of the bases are probably overrun, Most of the zombies are in areas that still have large human populations and FINALLY, natural resources are dwindling. Pre-Redeker Plan the Zombies were so close to Humans that it would've been genocide on their own people to open up with large payloads, and Post redeker plan they barely HAD any missiles, having evacuated with only essential equipment to the Rockies. they didn't have access to the materials or factories to make more, and they didn't have the manpower to make it, too busy trying help all the refugee's. AND like I said, Natural Resources are dwindling massively, as Zombies eat any living thing that moves, and it's written that wildfires had decimated quite a bit of forest just because of rampant uncontrolled fires during the great panic. do you really want to bomb and destroy whatever organic matter your country has left, using up now precious resources that you can't even collect anyways?

During Survival / Redeker Plan Era (before the Offensive) I feel like its safe to assume many of the equatorial parts of the world are mostly clean, since the climate would accelerate decomposition and Zombies in general would have hard times spreading through the environments. for instance Brazil. theres lots of terrain, either Jungle or Pampas. Pampas would be easy to clear out because they are so wide open. Jungle would be hard to clean out and you'd probably have alot of stragglers during the Survival days, BUT

as you can see I feel like I've come up with pretty rational explainations to all the discrepancies in the book. I even feel I've come up with one for the biggest discrepancy of them all: why do all these plot holes exist in the book. One could easily say it's because Brooks' just didn't think of them, but I feel a better explanation is this book is not written as if it was an entertaining Zombie story for people of our universe, it's written as if it was an oral history for a world where all those events ACTUALLY happened. These things don't NEED to be described, they are either knowledge that doesn't matter to the general concept of the book, or things that people of that world know.

WOOT. Long Post is Long.

HOLY CRAP! that is a huge Wall'O Text(TM)
also, that is the most detailed analysis of a Zombie Attack I have ever seen In-freakin-sane

awesome:D

@Walpurgis: for one, nice name. for two, thank you, thats partially because I've always wanted to write a highly in-depth realistic Zombie novel. When I read World War Z I realised I couldn't, not because I feel like I'll never be as good as Max Brooks, but because Theres barely ANY difference between his story and what I would've written, because thats just how good it is. Everyone with even the slightest interest in Zombies, or Speculation of World Wide Epidemics should SERIOUSLY pick up a copy and read it. when I'm reading some peoples stories it sounds like I'm reading a book about the world post nuclear, with some of the stories, it's World War II Government Politics, Economics, and Etc. New Deal History. With others, it's a Medical Drama, discussing how Epidemics affect our world. it is seriously one the best Fictionalized Social Commentary I've ever read. Even the fictional Presidents in the book sound almost like a Colin Powell / Joe Biden coalition party.

So Now that I finished reading Battle Of Yonkers, I've come up with some more, possibly more believeable, excuses to the militaries failure. It'd seriously be easier to directly quote the entire chapter for all those who disagree to read, but I'll try to sum it up in my own words:

1. They had weapons that would have worked well against zombies, very well. The problem was at the battle of yonkers, they didn't load them out with enough ammo. They had super flechette rounds for Abrams, those DECIMATED the initial attacks of zombies, the problem is that the Zombies were numbering in the MILLION(S). This is Yonkers we are talking about. A Suburban City outside of abandoned New York City. They had nowhere near enough supplies at the battle. Todd Waino talks about the big weapons they had truly destroying swaths of zombies, but each one only has such a big blast radius, and against a million or so zombies you're gonna need A WHOLE LOT of ammo.

2. Psychological Warfare is the biggest weapon Zombies have, and it was overly successful at Yonkers because of our own faults. In the end all wars are fought one way: Scare the enemy into submission (which I mentioned above) and you can't scare Zombies. To quote the book: "But the weapon that really failed wasn't something that rolled off an assembly line. It's as old as... I don't know, I guess as old as war. It's fear, dude, just fear and you don't have to Sun freakin Tzu to know that real fighting isn't about killing or even hurting the other guy, it's about scaring him enough to call it a day. Break their spirit, that's what every successful army goes for, from tribal face paint to the "blitzkrieg" to... what did we call the first round of Gulf War Two, "Shock and Awe"? Perfect name, "Shock and Awe"! But what if the enemy can't be shocked and awed? Not just won't, but biologically CAN'T! That's what happened that day outside New York City, That's the failure that almost lost us the whole damn war. The fact that we couldn't shock and awe Zack boomeranged right back in our faces and actually allowed Zack to shock and awe us! They're not afraid! No matter what we do, no matter how many we kill, they will never, ever be afraid!

Now this being said, not only are the Zombies so terrifying for that very reason, but at Yonkers the US Military had instigated the "netrocentric" Land Warrior Combat Integration System, which any of your Military Buff's know they are making right now. full electronics suite that allowed you to link up visually and audially to every soldier and HQ in the area right through a little eyepiece. download GPS data, Satellite imagery, see the positions of every combatent on the field, even see through the camera of your or anyone elses gun. in the current "war on terror" this would be an EXCELLENT tool, since the most valued piece of weaponry we have against them is superior knowledge and Info. to know where any sniper or Terrorist or land mine is would be PERFECT. against Zack it's crippling. Everytime someone shouts in terror because a Zack grabbed them (Zombies trapped in buildings behind them hadn't been cleared out, so they started coming in from behind too, "woken" up by the Heavy Weapons) everyone would hear it, everyone would see it too, if someone shoots at a Zombies head and it doesn't kill it because it never actually hit the brain, just grazed the skull (which happened in book), again, everyone is gonna hear the guy scream out "HOLY SHIT I shot it in the head and it didn't die, they are indestructible" everyone is going to hear it. and everyone could see on their Satellite maps that this wave of thousands was only the head of a metaphorical river of Zombies. Thats why we failed at Yonkers.

3. now that you've read all that I'm sure some of you are still saying "but the military could just make more heavy weapons, and fight again"... you have to consider some things (again all detailed in the book, Brooks DEFINATELY did his research, His one of my writing heroes): Almost every one of those weapons you say we can make as many as we want requires materials from other countries. You have to understand this is after The Great Panic, when there wasn't many Zombies, not enough to really stage in military attacks on, but a WHOLE LOT of people freaking out. Most of the ships in the US were out at sea, all those Civilian contracter companies that make those weapons are gone. There is NO WAY to get the materials, and besides half the countries they get the materials from are in chaos, pretty much all the economic trade is down. finally theres the issue of resource to kill ratio. why have on Abrams tank with 3 flechette rounds, which will kill maybe a few thousand Zack, when you can make thousands of Standard Infantry Rifles, and train, clothe, and feed thousands of troops, all for the same price, each soldier when killing the Zombies using the Raj-Singh Technique and conserving ammo and firing slowly and methodically, can take out twice as many zombies if not more?

XD, 'nother long post is long.

Brooks makes the point that against Zack, it isn't about defeating him but killing him. The only way to defeat a zombie horde is to kill every individual zombie in it.

Point: no, nuclear weapons do not necessarily make an area unihabitable, There are people living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Brooks makes the point that against Zack, it isn't about defeating him but killing him. The only way to defeat a zombie horde is to kill every individual zombie in it.

Point: no, nuclear weapons do not necessarily make an area unihabitable, There are people living in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I'm not an expert, but I believe that most of the weapons in the modern US arsenal are quite a bit more destructive than those used on Japan. Do we even have 15-20 kiloton warheads anymore?