Without World War I could Wilson have won a third term?

Assuming World War I doesn't happen or is at least delayed until after 1920 could Woodrow Wilson win a third term? Without having to deal with things like austerity from the war and the league of nations could Wilson beat Harding?

Assuming World War I doesn't happen or is at least delayed until after 1920 could Woodrow Wilson win a third term? Without having to deal with things like austerity from the war and the league of nations could Wilson beat Harding?

Not likely, with no crisis to justify it.

Assuming the strokes that crippled him greatly aren't butterflied away, which would be hard to do because it was a lifelong ailment, I doubt he would be in the shape to want to. Dude's entire left side of his body was paralyzed his last year in office and he was almost blind.

Grey Wolf

Donor
Well, he would have been massively involved in Mexico, so foreign-policy wise he could use that

Would TR be dead in this timeline though? With his son not killed in the war, maybe he doesn't bugger off up the Amazon but runs again in 1920

I don't think Wilson has the gravitas to break the two-term limit precedent. FDR expressly argued that he was only running for a third term because the world was on fire and the US needed to be ready for war. So no WWI at all means no reason to stick with Wilson.

Why Wilson would run third term speciality with his terrible health? Him would have lesser stressful presidency but him would has still terrible health. And I can't see him breaking Washington's precedent. Him hasn't any excuse do that anyway.

Would TR be dead in this timeline though? With his son not killed in the war, maybe he doesn't bugger off up the Amazon but runs again in 1920

TR's health was already declining before WW1. Yes, without Quentin's death in WW1 he would be still alive in 1920 but him would has still bad health. I can't see him running third term in 1920. Might be that he even wouldn't survive to November.

The preliminary question is whether without World War I Wilson would have won a second term. Admittedly, the question of whether the War helped or harmed him in 1916 is a complex one. OT1H, there was "he kept us out of war" and the fear that the Republicans (because of the influence of people like TR and Root) would get the US into the War (ironically, at the same time the Democrats argued this, they also portrayed Hughes as pro-German). OTOH, despite the temporary improvement in US-German relations in 1916, many German- and Irish-Americans still resented what they considered Wilson's partiality toward the Entente. But in any event, after an initial panic, the War did produce a temporary prosperity in the US that made people forget about the recession of 1913-14 (the Republicans predictably blamed the recession on the Underwood Tariff and Wilson's "anti-business" policies). So it is no means certain Wilson would have won a second term without the War. But even if he did, I just do not see him winning a third one. Even TR had to pay lip service to the idea that a president should not serve a third consecutive term. (Besides, after eight years in office, there is some wear and tear in almost any administration.)

Wilson barely won in 1916, and that was only because the GOP was still too divided between Progressives and the Old Guard to carry CA and the upper Midwest. Declaring for a third term without any existential justification like a world war would provoke a fierce backlash against Wilson for overeaching for his own selfish gain. Opinion polls in 1940 showed that FDR would've lost to Wilkie had there been no war, and the same would goes for the far less popular Wilson. He has little (if any) chance of winning in 1920.

Hell, his first win in 1912 was due Roosevelt breaking the GOP vote between the Progressives and the Old Guard. While Woodrow Wilson did a lot in office, he never did develop a solid base with enough popularity to break the two-term taboo.

Hell, his first win in 1912 was due Roosevelt breaking the GOP vote between the Progressives and the Old Guard. While Woodrow Wilson did a lot in office, he never did develop a solid base with enough popularity to break the two-term taboo.

TR's bolt was a symptom of Republican disunity, not the cause of it. Neither he nor Taft could have won over the other's supporters, so the Democrats would be likely to have won even in a two-way contest.

The Avenger

Banned
TR's bolt was a symptom of Republican disunity, not the cause of it. Neither he nor Taft could have won over the other's supporters, so the Democrats would be likely to have won even in a two-way contest.
Taft should have avoided creating tensions with TR in the first place, though.

SsgtC

Banned
Taft should have avoided creating tensions with TR in the first place, though.
A lot of the friction between them can be laid squarely at TR's feet. It's not Taft's fault that he wasn't as progressive as TR expected him to be. Or the fact that TR couldn't deal with not being President anymore.

The Avenger

Banned
A lot of the friction between them can be laid squarely at TR's feet. It's not Taft's fault that he wasn't as progressive as TR expected him to be. Or the fact that TR couldn't deal with not being President anymore.
Taft should have told TR before 1908 that he won't be a good successor for him, though. That way, TR could have picked someone else to be the 1908 GOP nominee.