With The Crescent Above Us

So Alexandria is L.A. ?
Something like that. It's got numerous of the negative associations traditionally held with port cities, something which curiously is not so evident in Port Said, which is actually just as important as Alexandria at this point. Due to its importance as a key Mediterranean port, Alexandria has also attracted criminal gangs from places such as Albania, Italy, Britain and elsewhere. It's pretty much one of the gang-capitals of the Ottoman Empire for various reasons.
TTL's Konstantiniyye is a place I'd like to visit, and Lusine and Hovnatan's conversation about its dimensions is a beautiful way to describe it.

Alexandria, on the other hand... well, it isn't entirely a salafist stronghold ITTL, but I see its multiculturalism has some drawbacks.

And Tricky Dick is tricky in any timeline.
Konstantiniyye is indeed a great place, though is not entirely perfect. It has its share of bad neighbourhoods and poverty. However, generally speaking its crime rates are lower than most European cities. And as in OTL, it is a very nice city.

Alexandria is one of the worst cities in the Empire to live in at the moment. Although it is popularly known as the Pearl of the Empire, it's a big center for drug smuggling and human trafficking, all of which invite gangs to establish themselves in the city. Don't expect this to be tolerated forever though.

And you can't blame poor Nixon. Genetics ensured that he'd be the kind of man who sells children's organs to zoos as meat.
Do I get a prize for guessing that the other man was Kissinger as soon as Richard mentioned his last name was Nixon? ;-)
You do as soon as I can think of one. I thought that the identity of Kissinger would be the harder one to guess.
Amazing update, Nassir! I like the fact that Richard Nixon's a Quaker ITTL, though I wonder what Kissinger had gone through to critique the system so harshly.

And I would really like to visit the Ottoman capital of this timeline; it sounds as if exploring it is an adventure in itself. :)
Part of it is exaggeration of consequences and an underemphasis on what he'd said. He'd basically said some rather Robert Spencer-esque things about Islam, though he isn't really in trouble with the authorities about it. There is a backlash from the comparatively small Muslim community in Salonika, though Kissinger is mainly keen on moving as his ambitions cannot really be sated in the Ottoman Empire. Thus he is keen on setting up shop in a liberalizing United States. Also, I always thought Nixon came from a Quaker family, which is the reason I referred to him as one.

The Ottoman Capital is indeed a great place in TTL. A lot more multicultural and diverse than the Istanbul of OTL was.
Nixon was a Quaker OTL, or at least raised such. I can't believe I didn't guess based on that or the used car salesman joke, and then the Kissinger bit took me by surprise. Oh well, haven't had my tea yet.

Wonderful vignettes, Nassir. Any plans to do more for other Ottoman cities? If so, might I request Beirut?
I'd actually love to do the whole vignette thing again, I quite enjoyed writing for these places. Beirut would be an interesting one, as like Salonika it is a big city with a non-Muslim majority.
I'd like to see Beirut too, as well as Baghdad and Damascus.
These two also go without saying.
No love for Kars?
You mean that cold and mountainous place near the Georgian border? :p

It would be interesting to cover at least some of the smaller cities of the Empire.
So Kissingers brilliant idea is the U.S. a country that's had a right-wing racist coup...and whose northern neighbor is remnant of Britain's worse regime?
Well, the US is on the road to recovery. Anti-semitism is on the downturn there but that may be compensated somewhat by an upturn in other types of negative sentiment.
A place that that might arrest him someday in the future is probably better than a place that will arrest him soon

Anyway, Amazing update Nassir!

Alexandria looks like an alternate Marseille, definitely not a place i would visit.

What about other cities, like Baghdad?
Hey, Marseille isn't so bad once you get past the crime and the shanty towns. :p

As I said, I did enjoy doing these vignettes. Between class, family and work I'm going to be a bit swamped this month but I'll see that it's computer games that are starved of my time rather than this TL.
yah but Kissinger has 1000x better chance of receiving a FAIR trial in the Ottoman Empire than in the states.

US Police: "He's a Jew? YOUR UNDER ARREST!"(Insert unnecessary beating here)

US Judge: "He's a Jew? GUILTY!"

US Jury(all white protestants): "He's a Jew? GUILTY!"

and theirs like what one state in Europe that you could consider to be completely religion free and that's New Britain. The rest of Europe is dominated by Christians.
Well, it all tends to vary a bit. The US still isn't as open as its lower than lofty OTL 1950s equivalent, though this is changing steadily. And it isn't a trial that Kissinger is thinking about, so much as possible opportunities elsewhere...

There's still unofficial discrimination in Britain, though due to the exodus of social conservatives, it's not so marked. Germany and France tend to have moderate rates of persecution. Think something like Switzerland today. Russia is still mixed, though without the Caucasus and Central Asia its Muslim population is now overwhelmingly Tartar, and efforts at toleration have been greatly improved there.
Kissinger wouldn't be Kissinger if he loved peace and fairness :p
At least Cambodia may be safe from him in this world.
A Tale of three cities! In topic about cities I am interesting about cities in Khaleej like Doha and Dubai. Will them still be futurism like OTL? Or we will see
Khalifa Tower in Konstantiniyye?
Well, the Gulf will be less significant in terms of population due to a lower immigration rate. In cities such as Dubai and Doha this will definitely be noticeable. It is likely to remain the case that Qatif in OTL's Saudi Arabia, as well as Bahrain are going to be the hubs of the Gulf. And this isn't just the horrible bias of a Bahraini speaking. :D

So terrorism has that been relegated to cells not worth mentioning, or is that gonna have to wait for the 60's-70's when it really took off otl? Ofcourse the world has different issues no doubt Brazil will be riddled with extremism but sadly Africa will still have issues, Zanzibar either has just nasty vandalism or warlorism needs to be crushed again(no doubt their neighbors make the situation worse)Sokota has Christians that aren't happy, Ethiopia is poor, and the best scapegoat will prob be Muslims.

Course I expect Muslim terrorists too, India still had some Pakistani believers that will stir up shit at some point, Indonesia prob has Muslims who don't want to be equals with the Christians who they prob see as savages, weak, or Dutch collaborators(After all a MUSLIM nation kept the Dream of free Indonesia alive for over 50 years not the Christians)

Shi'ites, and Sunni's who don't agree with the peace, British who can't get it through their heads the Empire is over.

I've been reading this series for a long time and I was happy that you decided to bring it back, now it looks like its gone again, maybe because of the low level of activity. I made an account on here finally just so I can ask is it really gone now, please don't finish it like this, the fans need closure.

Last edited:
Well, the Timeline is more or less abandoned for various reasons. The primary reason is mainly because the TL grew too big for me to actually keep a good track of, considering the rather poor organization which I had of all the material related to it. The numerous breaks due to various crises I took over the course of the last year all took their toll on my interest in it, and when I realised I could only muster enough interest once a month or even more, it didn't seem worth continuing.

That being said, there is some actual good news to come of this. I have have started another TL, albeit not with the great focus and changes that Crescent entailed, but the new TL can be found here. Secondly, I do have something in the works in terms of a Timeline with a more grand scale.

Thanks to everyone who has followed this. It has certainly been one of my greater achievements, and at least for a while was a whole lot of fun to write. Your support, comments and interest have really been important in keeping this whole thing alive.

Well all things live and die. This TL was great and certainly took us further past a POD than most, and showed how even in the late 19th century things can radically deviate from the general patterns without them springing from the WWs. I'll miss it, even if I fell behind a few updates, but it's going to be awesome to see your new work.:D

Well thanks for a fun adventure, I might someday come back and read through it again someday.

Is there any chance you could do a little update of the summary of the world in 2014 back on page 61 when you first decided to leave this project, like add a few more relevant countries and add a bit more to the existing info, just as a goodbye gift that would be nice.

Good luck with your future projects.