With Liberia as a colony, could the US take Spanish colonies in Africa?

The POD is in 1840 when the American government decides the movement to transport former slaves to Liberia isn't really accomplishing much and that they're better off being ruled over as a colony. The timeline is pretty much OTL after that until the start of the Spanish-American War.

Obviously, Spanish Morocco is out of the question, but what about Equatorial Guinea or even Western Sahara? Is it concievable for the US to be able to take them so close to mainland Spain? I mean, they had been continually getting weaker and let the economically vital Cuba slip out of their grasp. None really had a military presence on either (Spain only occupied Bioko Island on EG). And, although I already know the answer, Spanish Sahara is off the table, right?

Could they? I would say yes. Would they? Possibly, depending on how Liberia goes as a colony but I doubt it. There was another thread not too long ago that pointed out that there's not much worth taking in Spanish Africa. The territories that the US did take in the Spanish-American War were the money makers for Spain. Unless the US has been sending large numbers of settlers in Liberia for 60 years and they're pushing for more land I just can't see the US expanding further in Africa.

Economically Liberia as a colony is going to be very interesting though since natural rubber is one of Liberia's major exports and is one of the few things that the US can't obtain domestically. Might delay the invention of synthetic rubber if the US has a steady supply in their control. And Fordlandia is likely going to be located there instead of Brazil, possibly with more success since it's in long-held American territory.

Depending on how the colony is administered a POD with Liberia as a US territory could be very different especially once you get the the 20th century.

Could they? I would say yes. Would they? Possibly, depending on how Liberia goes as a colony but I doubt it. There was another thread not too long ago that pointed out that there's not much worth taking in Spanish Africa. The territories that the US did take in the Spanish-American War were the money makers for Spain. Unless the US has been sending large numbers of settlers in Liberia for 60 years and they're pushing for more land I just can't see the US expanding further in Africa.

Economically Liberia as a colony is going to be very interesting though since natural rubber is one of Liberia's major exports and is one of the few things that the US can't obtain domestically. Might delay the invention of synthetic rubber if the US has a steady supply in their control. And Fordlandia is likely going to be located there instead of Brazil, possibly with more success since it's in long-held American territory.

Depending on how the colony is administered a POD with Liberia as a US territory could be very different especially once you get the the 20th century.

Even Spanish Morocco? If yes, then it could be a trading point for Mediterranean. Bioko island was a trading point also if I remember correctly. Although I admit to no seeing the point of Western Sahara besides easing the nerves of people with OCD getting tense from that one dotted line.

And how could this effect American involvement in both World Wars and the independence waves of the late 20th century (sorry I didn't ask before).

I don't see this making much difference. The focus of most US imperialist interest was in Central America and the Caribbean, and secondarily the eastern Pacific and Hawaii. The Philippines and Guam were sort of an "accidental" empire. The US was still very isolationist with regard to European involvements and I think acquiring any Spanish colonies in Africa would be seen as unnecessary to defend American interests and a possible gateway drug to European Entanglement.

Plus I doubt Liberia would be administered as a territory on the potential route to becoming a US state. Rather more like the Philippines - a territory on the way to becoming a protectorate and eventually an independent nation. Plus, assuming that Liberia remained in the US mindset a place for American blacks to settle, how would it deal with the indigenous inhabitants?

Last edited:
Wasn't Liberia originally a private venture only backed by President Monroe. I know its deviating from the title a bit but wouldn't a better funded and resourced body overseeing the effort met with better success? And Liberia is a pretty resource rich area to boot isn't it? I mean it wouldn't require official American backing but a wealthy private company could have tentacles all over west Africa.

Wasn't Liberia originally a private venture only backed by President Monroe. I know its deviating from the title a bit but wouldn't a better funded and resourced body overseeing the effort met with better success? And Liberia is a pretty resource rich area to boot isn't it? I mean it wouldn't require official American backing but a wealthy private company could have tentacles all over west Africa.

Funny thing: the former slaves that lived there ("Americo-Liberians") were very prejudiced against the natives and treated them like dirt. They grew rich by oppressing them. I heard it being described as the Americo-Liberians having the same attitude whites had towards its' colonial subjects. Even today, they're a very wealthy minority whose had complete control of the country until a coup in 1980 usurped their True Whig Party.

Funny thing: the former slaves that lived there ("Americo-Liberians") were very prejudiced against the natives and treated them like dirt. They grew rich by oppressing them. I heard it being described as the Americo-Liberians having the same attitude whites had towards its' colonial subjects. Even today, they're a very wealthy minority whose had complete control of the country until a coup in 1980 usurped their True Whig Party.

The fact they were ruled by Whigs until 1980 tells you all you need to know about Liberian stagnation.

How would they have inspired to develop a more "enlightened" and liberal view? I'm sorry I don't know much about Liberia. How does it compare to Sierra Leone?

What would the impact have been on the American Civil War if there had been an officially sanctioned alternative to returning escaped slaves?