With a PoD no earlier than 1950, make the relationship between India and Pakistan at least as cordial as that of Canada and the United States

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took over a hundred years for Canadian-American relations to be cordial. Up until World War I there was an expectation in America that Canada would become part of them. You’re asking for two very different nations along ethnic and religious lines to get to the same level of closeness achieved by two very similar countries in 150 years.

Jinnah wanted Pakistan and India’s relationship to be this cordial. However the religious cleansing, conflict over Kashmir, and other issues would prevent this.

It took over a hundred years for Canadian-American relations to be cordial. Up until World War I there was an expectation in America that Canada would become part of them. You’re asking for two very different nations along ethnic and religious lines to get to the same level of closeness achieved by two very similar countries in 150 years.

What do you mean "up until WWI"? Our maps here in the US show it all one color just like any other 'state' we're just waiting for the Canadians to get with the program ;)

Randy

colonel

Donor
Maybe a common enemy? Have China invade Kashmir shortly after the Korean War. A coalition under the auspices of the UN, or the Commonwealth is formed to repel the Chinese. After the conflict the settlement resolves the competing claims of India and Pakistan. Continued Chinese belligerence leads to a NATO like security compact, led by the UK, later including Burma, Nepal and Sri Lanka. It expands a trade compact, and either prevents East Pakistan becoming Bangladesh, or makes the split more like Czechoslovakia. It’s a stretch, but I don’t see it as ASB.

Maybe a common enemy? Have China invade Kashmir shortly after the Korean War. A coalition under the auspices of the UN, or the Commonwealth is formed to repel the Chinese. After the conflict the settlement resolves the competing claims of India and Pakistan. Continued Chinese belligerence leads to a NATO like security compact, led by the UK, later including Burma, Nepal and Sri Lanka. It expands a trade compact, and either prevents East Pakistan becoming Bangladesh, or makes the split more like Czechoslovakia. It’s a stretch, but I don’t see it as ASB.
This seems the play. Otl america and Britain didnt start liking each other until Germany got grabby, which combined with the fact america couldn't beat the BE in a war of conquest until after the civil war (coinciding with the aforementioned germany issue) is what opened the door for amero-canadian relations

Kashmir, Kashmir and Kashmir!

From Pakistan's end it is that simple. Jammu & Kashmir is allowed to become the natural part of Pakistan it is (both geographically, ethnically and economically) and suddenly all anti-Indianism will disappear overnight and borders will naturally be open and very organically cross-border trade will start flourishing.

Pakistan will never develop into the OTL religious fundamentalist country instead likely evolving along the lines of OTL Malaysia.

India was never going to allow this of course. Even though it is such a massive territory that is 3x the size of Western Europe and has largely failed in its Independence experiment, (so has Pakistan but in no small part to Kashmir being detached from it).

I have had this discussion many times with my Indian friends who still haven't got over partition and keep telling them, you went about it in the wrrong way. Allow Pakistan to gain Kashmir, work to protect the rights of Hindu Pandits/Kashmiri Hindus, force the Pakistanis to allow Hindu representation in Kashmiri politics as a minimum, help integrate Kashmir into Pakistan with soft power.

Mark my words by the 1970s you would've got a trade block developing between these 2 countries and possibly even talk of confederation on both sides.

Same with Afghanistan. Imagine after the 1950s the Afghan king working fully to integrate the Pakistani tribals into Pakistan rather than stoking tensions over some non-existent line and using soft Afghan power to pressure Pakistan to develop those areas. Where would Afghanistan be now? Very much likely trailing Pakistan behind in all economic indicators.

What is the difference between Canada/US and India/Pakistan?

A European mind that's able to think outside the box.

Last edited:

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Please use the Post-1900 Misc. thread for these sorts of WI.

You need to actually start a discussion not just ask a question or issue an AH challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.