WIP Map Thread

Unlike with Kublai Khan's invasions, the Sengoku jidai was well underway, which meant that everyone was totally disorganized when the Mongols returned. Their conquest of Kyushu, 1444-46, was a smashing success. It also woke all the warring daimyos the fuck up to the need for unity in the face of external threats, and a new shogunate was hastily erected under the Hojo clan and tasked with the defense of Japan against an expected future invasion. Though that invasion never came, the Hojo would spend the next century tightening their grip on power under the excuse that it was necessary to repel the invaders, until the fall of the Qian and the subsequent Japanese takeover of Kyushu invalidated that excuse.
interesting and cool ! will you explore this alt-japan ? I'd really like to see how a unified would Japan would interact with the colonial powers. Or, do they fall apart into warring daimyos again ? Either way i hope to see more :)
I like the symbols, but what do they mean?
cool cool i was worried they could be cluttering the map . the long lines are Lofstrom Loops , the triangles are sets of space elevators (tethering 3 togethor to a single space station increases stability) , the swords are where significant battles took place in (to be detailed) war , and the diamond thingys are major mega-cities

rect909-8.png

Coming along. (And yes, the El Salvador one is in an alt-Peshawar Lancers world)

View attachment 833323
I can already tell this one is going to be unusually fun
I've just started afresh:
View attachment 833915
I'm continuing to make progress thanks to the advice of a friend who knows the software better than I do.
For the moment, I'm not yet convinced by hatching. They should represent temporary military conquests.
Beautiful. Keep up the experiment.

The World Republic, born out of the Second Global Revolution/War - literally half the planet’s population and landmass, sole Guide of the World Assembly
- directly ruled areas in red, Autonomies in lighter red
1685158683045.png

Last edited:
View attachment 834514
Would this Northwest Passage be navigable?
This Hudson Sea would be saltier, more biodiverse, and more accessible to sailors than OTL's Hudson Bay, but it's still largely cut off from the Atlantic and its major currents and so might not be much warmer. And in any case, I think the real chokepoint for the Northwest Passage is the narrow strait between Victoria Island and the mainland, which you've left unchanged and which would still freeze solidly over in the winter.

1685394627263.png

This map is finished (probably, there might be one or two things I fix) and the legend is almost done, I just need to finish the Munro-style notations and a short writeup and the scenario will be done (although later on I will make more maps a century or two down the line).

2101 AD, the worst of the Climate Crisis and Chaotic Decades are over, the world is divided between Pacific, Atlantic, and Chinese spheres, along with neutral India, and there is conflict between the traditional powers and the rising polar powers. One small incident on the Niger may spell doom for the world...

Ah, I just realised I have to work on space and the colonies... probably not maps though.

Questions and thoughts welcome.

View attachment 834644
This map is finished (probably, there might be one or two things I fix) and the legend is almost done, I just need to finish the Munro-style notations and a short writeup and the scenario will be done (although later on I will make more maps a century or two down the line).

2101 AD, the worst of the Climate Crisis and Chaotic Decades are over, the world is divided between Pacific, Atlantic, and Chinese spheres, along with neutral India, and there is conflict between the traditional powers and the rising polar powers. One small incident on the Niger may spell doom for the world...

Ah, I just realised I have to work on space and the colonies... probably not maps though.

Questions and thoughts welcome.
What's with the Xinjiang-Indus line?

That's the Qinggil Exclusion Zone. A programming "oopsie" in 2094 led to a Chinese nanite swarm meant to clean up an Arabian Sea oil spill consuming all life on its way there, leading to many tens of millions of deaths and the collapse of Pakistan. The path of the nanites still has some funky stuff going on seven years later, and is avoided.