WIP Map Thread

A very, very WIP map of Kitchen Sink TL. Basically a kitchen sink of all the somewhat obscure early-mid 19th century PODs I like experimenting with, mashed into one TL. Africa will certainly look very different by the end, and there will be a Big Mexico (TM) in the west.

dfx3zn5-57171690-4f2e-4f22-b351-3fb44648f38c.png

btw, if you have an interesting POD you like experimenting with, please mention it. I might want to add it in, and I'll credit you for the idea.
There were some plans to resettle the Icelandic population in Alaska after a volcanic eruption in the 1870s. Not sure if that's too late for you.

There's also the Antilles Confederation.

A very, very WIP map of Kitchen Sink TL. Basically a kitchen sink of all the somewhat obscure early-mid 19th century PODs I like experimenting with, mashed into one TL. Africa will certainly look very different by the end, and there will be a Big Mexico (TM) in the west.

btw, if you have an interesting POD you like experimenting with, please mention it. I might want to add it in, and I'll credit you for the idea.
How about British control over the entire Volta basin?

7rp7o09.png

Credit goes to @33k7 for the original ASOIAF base map and @Serafim for the original map connecting that world to historical Earth. So far this is mostly just me attempting to fill out the rest of the world's geography. Don't ask how the geography works or how groups like the Spanish, Ottomans, and Native Americans still exist - this is definitely meant to be a fantasy scenario where butterflies play second fiddle to making an interesting world.

I honestly haven't done too much with this yet other than adding some geographic features. I've had an idea for a while to bring this scenario up to the 20th century, with the Old World being based loosely on what I've read about the Temeraire universe (mostly just due to the existence of dragons in both scenarios), with Europe being dominated by a Napoleonic French Empire still at odds with the British in a broadly steampunk-magitech setting. The main hurdle I'm having right now is the fact that the original map I've been building on (again, 99% of the credit for now goes to @Serafim ) is how outdated the Earth WorldA is, which makes editing it based on newer map material something of a daunting task. That being said I do have a lot of ideas about the state of the world if anyone has any questions.

>mfw qing vietnam

WARNING:

THIS MAP IS IMMENSE. DO NOT CLICK TO ZOOM/OPEN IT UNLESS YOUR COMPUTER IS A POWERHOUSE. I WILL LIKELY SHRINK IT FOR THE FINAL POST.

image.png

Serbia map continues. Now you can see the full size of the project.

1805: Golovkin Embassy succeeds.
1814: Denmark-Norway stays together.
1815: Netherlands get Luxembourg in addition to Belgium at the Congress of Vienna.

1822: Iturbide's Mexican Empire survives and stabilizes.
1820s: the Peruvian royalist forces defeat the revolutionaries on land, and Peru remains a Spanish colony.
1820s: Gran Colombia is more stable and is able to suppress the Venezuelan and Ecuadorian secessionists.
1828: the Portuguese Civil War breaks out, and the pro-absolutist Miguelists are supported by France and Russia.
1830: no Polish rebellion (yet), so the French and Belgian revolutions are put down with Russian aid, like in 1848 Hungary IOTL.
1833: the First Carlist War breaks out, and the pro-absolutist Carlists are supported by France and Russia.
1848: Polish rebellion happens now, so Russia can't help the Austrians defeat Hungary.

There are some more I forgot to mention, but those are just the ones off the top of my head.
Have you considered an independent Philippines with the Spanish failing to crush it and it doesnt get annexed since Mexico is big, thus preventing American imperialism?

In terms of maps, is there a “smallest country that can be clearly perceived on the map without squinting” limit?

I suspect the tendency towards spacefiling empires in earlier maps stemmed from less resolution/smaller maps?

In terms of maps, is there a “smallest country that can be clearly perceived on the map without squinting” limit?

I suspect the tendency towards spacefiling empires in earlier maps stemmed from less resolution/smaller maps?
I traced the outline from a map that had to fit your standard 8.5x11'' paper, so this is a mockup if anything. I wouldn't expect the person I commission to trace it from this. Sadly, there's not a lot in the way of modern political maps in this projection.

I traced the outline from a map that had to fit your standard 8.5x11'' paper, so this is a mockup if anything. I wouldn't expect the person I commission to trace it from this. Sadly, there's not a lot in the way of modern political maps in this projection.
That is a nice projection

Crusader Egypt.png

I think I'm about ready to begin the writeup on this one. (Might be one or two extra side maps to cover the European Wars of Religion - now brought to you by British Peruvian Silver rather than Spanish Mexican Gold - or a bit of back story on the downfall of Crusader Egypt.)

I really like it. May not be the most accurate, but it is very aesthetically pleasing.
There's no such thing as a "more accurate" or "less accurate" projection, there are only projections that trade off for different advantages. Actually speaking of, do you know the name of the projection this map is in?