WIP Map Thread

TnWIKrL.png

Has anyone been asking for daily updates? No. I mean I will not do daily updates, but I made great progress since yesterday, so look at it!

I've also been contemplating a lot of stuff about the next stage of this map and let me tell you, as a minor spoiler: there is sadly not a lot extensive material available to me about the administrative history of the British Caribbean in the 19th century.

1650645744686.png
1650645752178.png
1650645759878.png
Here's the mostly completed stuff of my map that's basically "What if the Mexicowank was geographic." can't take credit for all of this, was working on this last night in the r/imaginarymaps discord server. But there's some stuff like Brazil exporting rare earth minerals, Ecuador's biggest export being uranium, Mexican great lakes, and the Chixculub crater being above-water and leaving a giant mineral deposit like the Sudbury impact crater and its nickle.

Edit: What if the Latin America wank was geographic, not just Mexico.

An alternate cold war world rather loosely inspired by the Jour J story "Paris, Secteur Soviétique", although this is ultimately best thought of as a general 'Soviets do rather better' world. Swindling more lend-lease aid from the USA, Tukhachevsky surviving the purge, and most importantly of all, bypassing plenty of cities versus uselessly sieging them did wonders for the Soviet advance, to say nothing of all the beach landings on D-Day going akin to Omaha Beach OTL. The year for this map is oh, about 1956-1958 or so, a few years after when the original comic story took place. It goes without saying that the West will have a rather harder time than it did OTL, and the world will be poorer for it, literally and metaphorically. I do feel the need to say my writeup for this world will have some key details different than what the comic story implied for its version. Going to have the Eiffel Tower fully surviving for starters...

My main questions for the map are if I should have 1) divided Italy along the city of Rome and Tiber River much as Paris was divided along the Seine in France, but leaning no... having both cities divided like that would be too gimmicky, 2) if all of Korea should fall to the communists, and leaning yes for that one, and 3) if I should make it a full world map, but given how most of the world would be the cyan "no self rule" color and the Rio Pact would probably need its own shade of blue, I see no point at the moment. I like the focus kept on the main alliances in Europe anyway. I would like to make a map set further in the future of this world, and given how mixed up the various world alliances in the decolonized third world will be, I'll do it then.

It's a very basic scenario on the normal WorldA map, but even so, comments, questions, and criticism are all still welcome.

Attachments

• jourjdividedfrance2.png
    jourjdividedfrance2.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 189

Dagoth Ur

Banned
I almost lost my shit trying to figure out how to turn the country (combination of coastline and some country borders) into a polygon. Lines to Polygon doesn't work for shit on this scale, with such a complicated coast. Finally realized I had polygons of each country, I could just combine those. Also took about ten minutes to get Southern Rhodesia's name curved right, and visible at this scale.
Opinions?
South-African-Confederation.png

An alternate cold war world rather loosely inspired by the Jour J story "Paris, Secteur Soviétique", although this is ultimately best thought of as a general 'Soviets do rather better' world. Swindling more lend-lease aid from the USA, Tukhachevsky surviving the purge, and most importantly of all, bypassing plenty of cities versus uselessly sieging them did wonders for the Soviet advance, to say nothing of all the beach landings on D-Day going akin to Omaha Beach OTL.
In OTL the Allied planners worked on the assumption that all of the landings could be as bad as OTL Omaha Beach, or even a bit worse, and made allowances for this possibility. All of the beaches being like Omaha ITTL therefore shouldn't have too much effect on how well the Western Allies do after D-Day, unless -- for some [unexplained] reason -- its planners had been overconfident compared to their OTL counterparts.

@Simreeve I did not know this so thank you, although thinking about it I shouldn't be surprised. For the sake of the scenario I'm already veering into every little POD and bit of help for the USSR I can scrape up (see above), getting them farther than they did OTL isn't impossible but going to Paris itself is really pushing it.

The original comic story had a freak hurricane (!!!) hitting the troops at Normandy and then the western allies deciding to next launch an attack from the south instead, which is so ASB-tier which even I can't use handwavium on it. The setting and basic idea still seemed cool enough for me to want to play around with it.

qQuBSFA.png

A few of the smaller islands are still in the darker grey temporary color that I used before this, but I like how clean the coastlines and the lakes look. This map is slightly more accurate than the basemap I'm using, which IIRC is from the 1930s ("The Times" Atlas) thanks to some crossreferncing, and I think one might be able to guess most of the scenario's premise now. It's a republican England, with both Scotland and Ireland independent.

Also earlier today I deleted the most recent progress post of mine because I didn't want to clutter up this thread of course.

Last edited:
qQuBSFA.png

A few of the smaller islands are still in the darker grey temporary color that I used before this, but I like how clean the coastlines and the lakes look. This map is slightly more accurate than the basemap I'm using, which IIRC is from the 1930s ("The Times" Atlas) thanks to some crossreferncing, and I think one might be able to guess most of the scenario's premise now. It's a republican England, with both Scotland and Ireland independent.

Also earlier today I deleted the most recent progress post of mine because I didn't want to clutter up this thread of course.
Are you going to extend the French coast as the straight lines [I assume they are the map borders] cuts through the Channel Islands horizontally and Kent and East Anglia vertically

Been messing around with this for a couple of days. I was watching Black Sails and somehow my imagination spiralled into a Second Viking Age combined with a Golden Age of Piracy. The vague premise of the map is that Christianisation is delayed in Europe to the point where by the time the Norse break out of Scandinavia en masse England is still Anglo-Saxon pagan. The Norse still conquer it, though, for "lebensraum" and use it as a launching pad for more fruitful raids into mainland Europe and the Mediterranean. Eventually the Franks get their shit together and invade "Angland" (as it is known by the Norse rulers) and basically turn it into a crusade, except rather than getting their hands on the impressive Anglish navy, most of the navy mutinies and heads to the New World where they find shelter in the Danish colonies. Operating out of a base in New Zealand (Nysjaelland/the Bahamas) these Anglo-Norse pagan vikings wreak havoc on Frankish shipping in the New World. They take their plunder back to New Zealand, where it is warehoused and then traded in the Danish colonies or the "Dutch" ones (still haven't worked out exactly who the Dutch are yet, thinking Frisians).

Europe is still majority Christian but in several places there is still a significant pagan minority (Scandinavia, Moravia). The Danish Kingdom is in actuality more of a confederation of consent, with the various jarls and chieftains agreeing to support a high king, while in actuality more or less being a bunch of semi-independent states all over northern Europe and the New World.

There's also no Islam, but Christianity is further divided into feuding sects extending east into India (though Persia is still officially Zoroastrian). And although it isn't clear on the map, "Portugal" is actually more like a super-Normandy, a state conquered by Norse invaders who then assimilated into the local culture.

1651357969934.png

Dagoth Ur

Banned
Critiques?
The tiny 180 degree longitude line through Beringia really bugs me. The whole country is one polygon but I can't get the two sides to combine no matter what I try.
The overlapping triangles on the north pole also bug me, but I haven't tried to fix them yet.
And of course I forgot to label the Philippines, figures.
American-Lake.png

Critiques?
The tiny 180 degree longitude line through Beringia really bugs me. The whole country is one polygon but I can't get the two sides to combine no matter what I try.
The overlapping triangles on the north pole also bug me, but I haven't tried to fix them yet.
And of course I forgot to label the Philippines, figures.
American-Lake.png
And what is it? Whats Pacific Wall?