WIP Map Thread

What an interesting choice of combatants! This scenario looks intriguing so far.
Thanks! I think that scenario is maybe wrong choose of word (at least on my part) there is not much backstory
I just took real situation (Russia and Britain WERE afteral main rivals for part of 19th century) and just up it to eleven (making Germany, USA and France (almost) irrelevant or non-existing)

1628763291215.png

Slow progress is progress. Now that I'm west of the Mississippi I have to start taking into account stuff like historical borders, rivers, and drainage basins.

path12-4-3.png

Since the basemap decided to give me problems, I decided to scale down the project. Stupid inset not lining up properly with the rest of the map... Anyway, the write-up will have to do a lot of the legwork then! Still it's a shame that so many of the lakes I traced had to go.

Also Swiss history from 1798 to 1848 is really fascinating, if a bit confusing...

1628927507501.png

Just when you thought the madness was over...

Behold, the southern Kingdoms of Westeros:
-The Imperial Demesne of Tevinter
-Dorne
-Ferelden (+ the Dornish Marches, now the Dalish Marches)
-Orlais (+ the upper Mander)
-The Stormlands (The Free Marches, Antiva, Rivain, Nevarra)
-The Reach
-The Westerlands (+ Tirashan)
-The Iron Islands (+ Umbar)
-The Andalfels (aka the Riverlands)
-The Vale of Mordor

View attachment 672899
When you decide to waste time by making a map for AH.com about your novel instead of writing your novel
Superheroes?
How is China? I assume its not communist? (what would be PoD then?)
Whats 2nd Central African empire?
Hows Indonesia, is close to any of main blocs? And (south) Korea?
Doubt rhat Japan would slip of American sphere and align with Russia (as long as Americans are still active in Asia/Pacific region...)

-Dorne
-The Reach
-The Vale of Mordor
Oh my goodness, if I were to imagine some destabalizing factor like the Breach happening in this world, it'd be... Taiping Rebellions levels of a civil war. Love it!

Superheroes?
How is China? I assume its not communist? (what would be PoD then?)
Whats 2nd Central African empire?
Hows Indonesia, is close to any of main blocs? And (south) Korea?
Doubt rhat Japan would slip of American sphere and align with Russia (as long as Americans are still active in Asia/Pacific region...)
Yeah, superheroes. Although in temperament, these superheroes less resemble their American comic counterparts and are more given to spinning complex schemes and playing political games over cities, although there are still quite many 'traditional' costumed crimefighters...

But anyways, superheroes is the essential part of this. The PoD is essentially that a meteor hits New York City on New Years' of 1990, destroying it, and causes a second Great Depression in the '90s (not to mention the meteor breaking up over the atmosphere and destroying other, random, smaller places, like a cornfield in Bolivia). The US fell into isolationism (although it's reemerging now) and among other things China's emerging economy was murdered in its cradle, allowing a PLA general with his own basement full of super child slaves to rise up, overthrow the PRC, and establish a dynasty—the extremely totalitarian Harmonious Jade Dragon Empire.

Indonesia is neutral, although it's leaning towards the Russian alliance out of spite for the many US allies surrounding it.

The (second) Central African Empire was founded by an enterprising warlord with a couple metahuman followers, good strategy, and some plain luck. The new emperor, however, unlike Bokassa, is far smarter than Bokassa ever was, and apart from the obvious eccentricity of proclaiming a second empire, is quite smart about balancing the ethnic minorities of the former CAR, being kind of like the old Austro-Hungarian emperor, whose minorities were pro-Austrian because the emperor guaranteed their rights against the Hungarians.

The US withdrew its commitments from Japan during the isolationist era, a particularly thrifty State Department reasoning that Japan's oceans would protect it from China, which at the time, the US noted not being capable of launching any invasion. Japan did not take this well, but the US was like "meh, it works", but then the Harmonious Jade Dragon Empire replaced the PRC, and the US went "oh crap" while Japan didn’t feel like going back to the US and instead chose to find a new nuclear protector, this being Russia.

South Korea and Taiwan, on the other hand, the US did not cut ties, the threat to them being more obvious and closer than the Chinese-Japanese one. Plus, South Korea and Taiwan are labeled as part of the American block on the map, you know...

Last edited:
View attachment 672937

-Dorne
-The Reach
-The Vale of Mordor
A bit hard to see sincethe image is a bit blurry but amazing just like the last one (where do you plan to post the finished work?)

So mordor is located around where Wyl is on ASOIAF Canon? Can't say it doesn't fit

The South.png

Inspired by someone's musings about an Afro-centric world which I'll link later. Ignore the remaining OTL borders, they will be removed over the making of the map.