WIP Map Thread

worldus3.png

Rest of the Middle East + bonus Indian Ocean. Not happy with Israel/Palestine.

Nine Alternate Souths.png

Yes, I am still fascinated by the "X Countries" format and I've had various ideas of Confederate successor states floating in my head. I don't know if I'll get the drive to clean this up, create proper write-ups and flags for these states, and if I'd even keep all of them (looking at you, New Virginia and CAS!), but I wanted to at least share the idea.

Mostly because I think that "the CSA turns into Bosnia-Herzegovina" is at the very least a unique concept.

EDIT: I dediced to scrap New Virginia (I don't dislike the idea of a Confederados state in Brazil, just the execution here) and made some modifications in other aspects. The new version is above, the old version is in a spoiler below. Also Both the Magnolia Republic and the Piedmont Republic are/could very well be from the same "universe", which is kinda cheating, but I don't care.

Alternate Souths (New Afrika, Tidewater, Southron, Texas).png

Last edited:
Hmm... Maybe make Jerusalem a World Capital District, and give it all of Israel and Palestine?
No, I'm thinking of making Geneva the world capital. My options are:
  1. One Jewish state and one Arab state (current)
  2. Two Jewish states and one Arab state
  3. Two or three mixed states

Last edited:
Taking 10 million as an absolute limit, there will be at least three states in the remaining areas of England. If you don't want them too small, either, it won't be any more. Given that said remaining area matches nicely with three of England's regions, you could opt to just give each region a state, but Greater London is probably too small if city-states aren't allowed. I would suggest to tack on some surrounding counties as a fix here, but you could only add Berkshire or Buckinghamshire - not both - to Greater London without it going over 10 million. Neither of these make Greater London really large enough, and anyway they result in very strange borders. You're probably going to need to make another exception to the 10 million limit.
Theoretically, I guess you could partition Greater London between a state in Kent and Sussex (separate from the rest of the South East) and the East of England, but that would be really weird.

Progress on Europe. Not happy with the Netherlands and not sure how to do southeast England (I have a rule of no city-states).
I would have kept the German states as is for the most part; but just merge Berlin into Brandenburg, Hamburg into S-H, and Bremen into Lower Saxony. You could split Franconia from Bavaria and North Rhine-Westphalia into its two parts if need be.

View attachment 645983
Some progress has been made...
No offense, but you do know the context of Years of Rice and Salt, right? Europe's population is absolutely devastated by the Black Plague. 99% is ASB obviously, even if you reduce it to like three-quarters (which is still probably ASB, but we'll go with that), there's no way Castile-Leon & France is colonizing the Americas & Africa, why is there some space-filling HRE in the Sahara? Why is every alt-his Aztecs (who are romantically imagined as "stable") going into otl Texas? Why is Africa always fucked over in alt-his, China couldn't properly colonize Taiwan for hundreds of years, you think they're going to have a fun time in South Africa and the Philippines? It takes one bad day to completely change Chinese foreign policy.
Don't get it twisted, please finish the map, just don't call it "realistic".

Castile-Leon & France is colonizing the Americas & Africa, why is there some space-filling HRE in the Sahara?
Castile-Leon and France aren't there anymore. I used modified versions of their color schemes (not modified enough apparently) for the countries that replaced them after North Africans moved into the desolated areas. I'm trying to sort out borders in the Sahara and was just using that color because I had it on hand honestly. There's not going to be an HRE in exile in the Sahara (thought that is an interesting thought, but definitely not for this project). I'm assuming that the experience of repopulating Europe created a bit more of an expansionist ideology amongst the peoples responsible.

So is the center of North America a native state
Yes. I am trying to stay in the same general direction as the original YORAS, so the there is a large native state in the centre of North America.

The blue isn't the French. It's the (I still need a name for) countries born from the North African colonization of what was France before the super-plague hit. I need to change the color more.

Castile-Leon and France aren't there anymore. I used modified versions of their color schemes (not modified enough apparently) for the countries that replaced them after North Africans moved into the desolated areas
If this is the case, you need to change their colors completely, and their internals (afaik) look almost identical to the French and Castilian internals. No new nations in Europe would make shop and decide to keep the exact borders of the former Kingdoms.
I'm assuming that the experience of repopulating Europe created a bit more of an expansionist ideology amongst the peoples responsible.
I'm not convinced. There's much to exploit in the lands of Europe that faring across the ocean just seems nonsensical. These peoples, the Berbers, Arabs, Africans, whoever it would be that colonize Europe would not have a significantly high population. American colonies relied on consistent immigration and supplies from the "homelands", that won't be the case for these new European nations for centuries. There are so many other factors that lead to colonizing the Americas and Africa that are never going to be present in this wildly different Europe. I don't think you realize how lucky and accidental it was that Europeans became the center for colonial empires.