WIP Map Thread

Is "ammonic gaseous" a term you invented?
Not exactly, it is the "Ammonia Clouds" from Sudarsky's classification of gas giants, I'm looking to do something more specific regarding classifications (similar to what exists on the Space Engine), some terms will be "invented" (personally I would classify the Earth as a "Telluric Multi-Biosphere" for example)
The "k" is kilometers, it is there for reference of radius size of objects, and about Yg and Pm³ are just there because I wanted to avoid comparing it with Earth and Jupter acting as units of measure and showing scale of the whole thing by a more... I know it's quite arbitrary and kind of stubborn not to use the conventional; but at first this diagram is to give a new perspective on how to see our system, so yeah...
And by "lifeless" pixel art, I'm referring to some way of imitating the atmospheric fluids without being a straight line.

And by "lifeless" pixel art, I'm referring to some way of imitating the atmospheric fluids without being a straight line.

Add iregularity and if you wish to, more colours, irregularity is what makes things feel organic and alive at some point in their existence, or, if you want a more neutral term, dynamic.

Fallout.png

A map of fallout in 2077 after the liberation of Alaska.

Some more progress, featuring the frontlines of war in 1943. The finished map will be Eurocentric since nothing much has changed outside Europe and North Africa.
BRAM Axis 1943 WIP.png

Nazi Germany, having Greece, Yugoslavia, Spain, and the General Government of Poland (yes, Poland is officially called that ITTL) on their side in addition to the OTL Axis, still manages to fail in taking Moscow. Despite occupying Stalingrad. The Siege of Leningrad encompasses a larger area, from the Kingisepp to Krasnogvardeysk (Gatchina) to Leningrad itself. The besieged area, minus the parts north of the Neva River, was to be made into part of Metropolitan Germany should the war be won. Despite proposals to raze Leningrad, neither Finland nor Germany desired that as it would mean that the infrastructure, including its ports, would have to be rebuilt from scratch.

The major reason why they would end up losing the war is because of inconsistent military orders. The Axis powers desired to reach the A-A Line before clearing out encircled cities, but with Finland struggling to even break through the White Sea-Onega Defense Line, and with a part of the army occupying Kalinin (Tver) in a strategical blunder, they failed to reallocate their forces to change their goals. As a result, Arkhangelsk and Astrakhan were never reached, while aside from several bombing runs by the Luftwaffe, Moscow survived the war without seeing major fights.

Also, minor change: all of Geneva, as well as Lausanne, are occupied by Italy. I'm not sure whether Leman and Savoy should be merged into one Italian region.

Last edited:
SovietByz.png

Currently doing another Middle Ages parallelism. This time it's in the post-apocalyptic future.
I'll probably change the colors later.

You can guess who is who if you don't feel lazy.
Here are some tips:
North America is East Asia.
Europe - possibly Central Asia.
European Russia - Italy (heh).
Middle East - Western Europe
India - Eastern Europe
Central Asia - Balkans
China - Persia

Working on a commission for the first time in many years. The PoD is an American Empire that conquered Canada in 1812 as well as Mexico and Central America at a later, unspecified point. The Civil War is also avoided. I've also added two Easter Eggs for my own enjoyment ;)

HX4jb0L.png

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Very nice. What's the POD?
Main POD is a different Paris Peace Conference and ensuing peace treaties, different outcome of Polish-Bolshevik War (Minsk and later Riga negotiations are handled by different Polish delegates, a couple more Soviet Armies get encircled and destroyed by the Poles in the battles during the Polish counter-offensive of August of 1920 war. as a result war and negotiations extend until 1922, and then a bunch of minutae for Poland as it's the primary focus (it's a bit of a Poland-wank)). Plus ontop of that, the Situation in Ireland plays out different, same with Greco-Turkish / Turkish War for Independence wars, Arab revolt, Egypt and Hejaz unfold different, etc.

Thoughts?
Pretty much every state west of the Mississippi would be different from OTL. Even IOTL their borders were in flux up to the point they were admitted to the Union, and sometimes after that (e.g. Nevada). 37° and 49° North especially are boundaries entirely based on politics that almost certainly wouldn't exist ITTL. Also, it's really strange that Columbia's border doesn't follow the Continental Divide at all, because it means that whatever state is to the east of it has a huge amount of land that would be far more difficult to administer from a capital in the Prairies than on the Pacific coast.

I don't know how much of that's up to you, though, and also it'd be a lot of work to change that much anyway.

Also, it's really strange that Columbia's border doesn't follow the Continental Divide at all, because it means that whatever state is to the east of it has a huge amount of land that would be far more difficult to administer from a capital in the Prairies than on the Pacific coast.

Would that mean OTL Idaho would be incorporated in Columbia as well? Looking at the wiki article for the continental divide would imply that.

I don't know how much of that's up to you, though, and also it'd be a lot of work to change that much anyway.

The directions I’ve got are:

Divided California
Canada annexed in 1812
Mexico annexed in 1848-ish
Rest of NA + Carribean acquired up to 1901
No civil war

Truth be told, I’m most likely going to make minor adjustments at this point in the process, barring of course any major issues :)

Main POD is a different Paris Peace Conference and ensuing peace treaties, different outcome of Polish-Bolshevik War (Minsk and later Riga negotiations are handled by different Polish delegates, a couple more Soviet Armies get encircled and destroyed by the Poles in the battles during the Polish counter-offensive of August of 1920 war. as a result war and negotiations extend until 1922, and then a bunch of minutae for Poland as it's the primary focus (it's a bit of a Poland-wank)). Plus ontop of that, the Situation in Ireland plays out different, same with Greco-Turkish / Turkish War for Independence wars, Arab revolt, Egypt and Hejaz unfold different, etc.

Strikes me that the bigass independent Rhineland would be mad unpopular with the Germans, and, frankly, the Rhinelanders themselves.