WIP Map Thread

I think I'm satisfied with these borders, but as I cover more of Europe and north Africa it might look too ordered, but I think that's what I'm going for?
Might even switch to EqualA, I have yet to really try it
f1TdPpV.png

a hint in a word phrase, Pax Americana​

Last edited:
EHD2eLP.png

Admittedly, this is pushing the boundaries of WIP, as it at least looks like a finished product, but I want to add some more things, and I'm unsure of whether I should, so I figured I'd ask around here before finishing it up completely.

First and biggest question: Should I add maps of major cities under the map? I was thinking of putting in street maps of Frankfurt and Vienna, and possibly an ethnolinguistic map, at the bottom (of course, I would extend the frame, not cram them into a centimeter and a half).

Second and least important question: Should I extend East Prussia beyond the frame? Many older maps do this, but I'm not sure whether it would look good. I suppose I could just try it out and see though.

Third question (for German speakers): The title, "The German Empire and her neighbors" might be too directly translated from English (or it might not be, but it's got me worrying. names are easy, sentences, even short ones, are where I fall flat). Should I go with what I have, change it to "Die Deutsches Kaiserreich Und Seine Umgebung ", change it to "Die Deutsches Kaiserreich Und Zentraleuropa", or does some other, fourth option make the most sense?

EHD2eLP.png

Admittedly, this is pushing the boundaries of WIP, as it at least looks like a finished product, but I want to add some more things, and I'm unsure of whether I should, so I figured I'd ask around here before finishing it up completely.

First and biggest question: Should I add maps of major cities under the map? I was thinking of putting in street maps of Frankfurt and Vienna, and possibly an ethnolinguistic map, at the bottom (of course, I would extend the frame, not cram them into a centimeter and a half).

Second and least important question: Should I extend East Prussia beyond the frame? Many older maps do this, but I'm not sure whether it would look good. I suppose I could just try it out and see though.

Third question (for German speakers): The title, "The German Empire and her neighbors" might be too directly translated from English (or it might not be, but it's got me worrying. names are easy, sentences, even short ones, are where I fall flat). Should I go with what I have, change it to "Die Deutsches Kaiserreich Und Seine Umgebung ", change it to "Die Deutsches Kaiserreich Und Zentraleuropa", or does some other, fourth option make the most sense?
1) I’d say no, because that’d distract more from the main map. 2) I’d say yes, but I’m a sucker for parts of maps going out of the boundary. Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you use as a basemap?

1) I’d say no, because that’d distract more from the main map. 2) I’d say yes, but I’m a sucker for parts of maps going out of the boundary. Also, if you don’t mind me asking, what did you use as a basemap?

Thanks for the answers. I used this map of the German Confederation as my base, obviously getting rid of the writing that stretches into the sea. I'm actually glad you reminded me, I will post the blank version to the blank map thread when I get the chance.

31.png

WIP Alternate Language map in a world with a different Migration period leading to a Slavic Padania, Uighur Hungary, Magyar Crimea, Norman Andalusia, Berber Sicily, a truly German northern France, and non-Rus East Slavs.

It looks great already and your ideas on what to add are great.

Regarding the translation, as a German native speaker, "Das Deutsche Kaiserreich und seine Nachbarn" seems the most appropriate.

It looks great already and your ideas on what to add are great.

Regarding the translation, as a German native speaker, "Das Deutsche Kaiserreich und seine Nachbarn" seems the most appropriate.

Thanks. I really needed that translation, as my knowledge of German is iffy at best.

Third question
Before the unification of Germany and pretty well into the early 20th century most german cartographers would label maps of this region simply "Mitteleuropa". If you'd like to go with a sentence for a title I'd suggest something like "Das Deutsche Kaiserreich und seine Nachbarstaaten" or simply "Karte von Deutschland" (which would be a legitimate description of the region shown).

And just a little pointer: You are missing quite a few ö and ü. Its not that noticeable with the city names but spelling "Königreich" seems very off.
I can also translate the legend if you need help with that. Seems a bit odd to have that be the only part of the map in English.

Before the unification of Germany and pretty well into the early 20th century most german cartographers would label maps of this region simply "Mitteleuropa". If you'd like to go with a sentence for a title I'd suggest something like "Das Deutsche Kaiserreich und seine Nachbarstaaten" or simply "Karte von Deutschland" (which would be a legitimate description of the region shown).

And just a little pointer: You are missing quite a few ö and ü. Its not that noticeable with the city names but spelling "Königreich" seems very off.
I can also translate the legend if you need help with that. Seems a bit odd to have that be the only part of the map in English.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I'm being completely honest, I just got tired of adding the letters with the diacritics. I'll probably get to that. I left the legend in English to make the map a bit more understandable (since most of the German stuff is just names), but you're probably right. If you're willing to translate, that would be great.

As for the title, I considered just going with Mitteleuropa, but then I figured a little continuation/subtitle underneath would look better. The reason I didn't just go with just Karte Von Deutschland was because I imagine the southern German country referring to itself as Germany/the German Empire, and both it, North Germany, and Hanover are colored, so that might not get across. Then again, this title might make it look like they're all part of the "German empire" if someone doesn't notice the legend. For now I think I'll go with "Das Deutsche Kaiserreich und seine Nachbarstaaten" though.

Thanks again.