WIP Map Thread

I've been trying out relief mapping with blender and photoshop lately and this is what I've managed to do so far
8Baphzt.png
Oh my god! this is amazing! Those colours are absolutely brilliant, did you use GIS software at all for this?

Oh my god! this is amazing! Those colours are absolutely brilliant, did you use GIS software at all for this?
I used GIS software to process and clip a Digital Elevation Model. While most popular GIS softwares can generate hillshades out of a DEM themselves, I opted to render it in blender as it's more realistic. After that, I used photoshop to render a colored gradient map out of the DEM. Lastly, I combined the gradient map with the hillshade and created this. This is just a quick mock-up, however. I've published two other shaded relief maps on my DeviantArt. The one I linked to uses a different coloring method where I take in account the color of the sun, terrain slopes, curvature and fog.

(DEMs or Digital Elevation Models are just black and white gradient maps where lighter colors are high and darker colors are low. Here's and example of a DEM)

Oklahoma WiP.png

An early WiP, currently in the process of doing the political borders before I'll get to doing the topography.

All font and color choices are temporary.

EDIT: Just updated the WiP to reflect the progress I made in the afternoon. The political borders are thus done.

Last edited:
I used GIS software to process and clip a Digital Elevation Model. While most popular GIS softwares can generate hillshades out of a DEM themselves, I opted to render it in blender as it's more realistic. After that, I used photoshop to render a colored gradient map out of the DEM. Lastly, I combined the gradient map with the hillshade and created this. This is just a quick mock-up, however. I've published two other shaded relief maps on my DeviantArt. The one I linked to uses a different coloring method where I take in account the color of the sun, terrain slopes, curvature and fog.

(DEMs or Digital Elevation Models are just black and white gradient maps where lighter colors are high and darker colors are low. Here's and example of a DEM)
I've been messing around with DEMs in QGIS but it doesnt seem to allow for multicoloured hillshades, only greyscale one's, which don't look nearly as beautiful. That one you've linked is amazing. I managed to generate this using a guide on the internet desgined for ArcGIS but I'm not sure how happy I am with the result, the fog looks a little artificial imo. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get yours to look so smooth?
jweCtJR.png

I've been messing around with DEMs in QGIS but it doesnt seem to allow for multicoloured hillshades, only greyscale one's, which don't look nearly as beautiful. That one you've linked is amazing. I managed to generate this using a guide on the internet desgined for ArcGIS but I'm not sure how happy I am with the result, the fog looks a little artificial imo. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get yours to look so smooth?
jweCtJR.png

Here are some tutorials

Quite nice-looking, but I wonder what sort of steroids the Cornish are on.
Looks more like a Wessex-type nation to me.
In this timeline Britain was mostly dominated by powers from the north of the island and sometimes Ireland. Cornwall stayed independent because it grew to be a region too different from the rest of the British Isles and much less stable too. Although I'm not completely sure there still are Germanic peoples in Britain and they are concentrated mostly in the South, thus Cornwall as well. With time that region became more and more divided between Celts and Germanics, and these divisions caused the area to become especially conflict-ridden. That made it undesirable for major powers, as long as the trade with mines was good nobody wanted the trouble. I'd say it's both Cornwall and a Wessex-type nation but with far more internal conflict than it seems.

Sorry for the late reply though, I was quite busy.

1578700705895.png

here's the start of my alt 1980s map, trying to mix a 3 way cold war with a kennedy political empire (aka a monarchy in all but name), with the pod might be that Joe P Kennedy didn't die in ww2 or something

Is this the classic where a certain house is less fortunate than in our timeline ?
Bingo! If I finish the map, it'll probably look a lot different than it originally did (which means I put more thought into it), so I'm happy to be working on the map. Who knows, maybe working on it will inspire me to finally make that reboot

Gian

Banned
I kind of need help. Does this look like a good indicator of the climate zones for a deglaciated Antarctica/Kerguelia?

rect1004.png

(BTW, it's in the WIP thread because it's part of a larger map)

Last edited:

Gian

Banned
I'm also having a little bit of trouble just figuring out who might colonize that bit in the "north-east" (apart from Britain). Please let me know everyone:
rect1004.png

Gian

Banned
BTW, here's everything when all is said and done. (Doing things all in progression to the main map):

EDIT: "Ognian" is going to be a WIP name (as I'm still fleshing out the history and especially their language)
antarctica.png

1579233613477.png

here's some more work on my 4 way cold war. anyone guess the 4 ideologies? (hint: no fascism, although there is a close (ish) ideology here)