WIP Map Thread

upload_2019-12-29_16-9-36.png

This be part of a set of map cutouts, inspired by Bruce's letter maps. If you've ever played the game Civilization (and specifically to this, Civ V), there's four ending types: Domination, Science, Culture and Diplomatic. There's a planned twelve maps, with three to each victory type to pair with one of Civ V's ideologies ("Freedom," "Autocracy," "Order."). This one is very obviously a Mongol-wank, and probably ASBish (I mean Civ is the epitome of ASB), but I've never done one and at any rate it's been fun shooting ideas with others about the details of it. If anyone has other ideas of nations to do, feel free to suggest any; the only stipulation is that they should also have been present in any of the Civilization games.

Qatar: not sure if to include in my wanks. Over 2 million people, true, but over 80% of that is immigrant labor with no citizenship. (The whole place strikes me as a bubble inflated with gasoline fumes that's eventually going to pop unpleasantly).

Qatar: not sure if to include in my wanks. Over 2 million people, true, but over 80% of that is immigrant labor with no citizenship. (The whole place strikes me as a bubble inflated with gasoline fumes that's eventually going to pop unpleasantly).
Honestly, if i were you i would ignore Qatar while leaving a small disclaimer note just to not offend potential Qatari readers.
With Bahrain at least we can make a wank involving the medieval Qarmatian state that for a time dominated the islands and the outlying coast...

ST15RM

Banned
View attachment 512258

This be part of a set of map cutouts, inspired by Bruce's letter maps. If you've ever played the game Civilization (and specifically to this, Civ V), there's four ending types: Domination, Science, Culture and Diplomatic. There's a planned twelve maps, with three to each victory type to pair with one of Civ V's ideologies ("Freedom," "Autocracy," "Order."). This one is very obviously a Mongol-wank, and probably ASBish (I mean Civ is the epitome of ASB), but I've never done one and at any rate it's been fun shooting ideas with others about the details of it. If anyone has other ideas of nations to do, feel free to suggest any; the only stipulation is that they should also have been present in any of the Civilization games.
upload_2019-12-29_18-32-47.png

View attachment 512258

Honestly, a lot of the continental Europe and Asia bits aren't ADB. Not super likely, but possible given good to excellent conditions considering the Mongols' other conquests and the work of other Steppe Nomads. I mean, all of the Middle East has been conquered by Turkic groups, and northern India, Wallachia, Moldavia, and the Pannonian Basin (Hungary, Transylvania, Vojvodina, Slavonia, Slovakia) have all been part of Steppe empires at different points in history. With a base in Eastern Europe, the Huns extended their influence across most of the Northern European plain (Northern Germany, the low countries, Poland, and parts of France) so that bit isn't impossible. Stopping at large mountains is typical for Steppe groups, but not a given, especially considering that the Mongols incorporate units other than horeback archers to great effect, so the southern Balkans and the Rest of France aren't impossible. The alps may be a problem, so I'd say Italy is less likely but not impossible either. Southern Finland is easily accessible through Russia, so it's also possible.

Southern India (to the Mongols a useless jungle that's REALLY hard to conquer), Scandinavia, and most importantly, Iceland I would say are the only truly ASB territories here.

So overall, soft AH, quite unlikely, but not blatant ASB except for Iceland. As for Iceland, not a chance, and no reason to conquer it either.

View attachment 512349
I'm probably halfway done with this, also bragging rights to guess what the dark color around france and co is (hint white)

The French Empire there is looking THICCCCCCC! Nice! I love me some good Nappy maps. I have only one nitpick: Why that border in Arabia so straight? In the desert it makes sense, but wouldn't it follow geographical or historical boundaries closer to the coast? The rest of the French European Union thing's borders look great though!

I'd love to hear more.

Is that an independent Canada or a Britain in exile? Who owns Patagonia? I assume that the big Peru thing is what's left of Spain? I'm a fan of the colonial Portuwank which should be present in every and i mean EVERY Napoleonic victory. Do they have the Platine states as clients/puppets? Who's that in and around the horn of Africa? An Ethiopian empire? A Somali one?

Thicc Canada and California, very nice. How did that happen? Is Canada's border a result of the war of 1812?

As for Iceland, not a chance, and no reason to conquer it either.

Some Khan is really into volcanoes? :biggrin:

I'd agree it's quite implausible: if a Khan just decided to conquer the place for shits and giggles, there's hardly going to be enough of an indigenous population to stop him, but given the very likely Morocco-independent western European naval alliance against the Khan (which is going to be highly opposed to the Khan's navy establishing any friendly harbors west of Former France), holding it would be impossible.

Why that border in Arabia so straight?
C O L O N I A L I S M, and the fact that the Prussia in exile couldn't claim anymore, since they didn't wanted to have to move a 2nd time

Is that an independent Canada or a Britain in exile?
they're Independent, but are where most of the radical british went

Who owns Patagonia?
That's the British Government in Exile, which I'm thinking of having most of polynesia and australasia

I assume that the big Peru thing is what's left of Spain?
Correct

Do they have the Platine states as clients/puppets?
they're more states in association

Who's that in and around the horn of Africa?
That's the Prussian government in Exile, also known as New Pomerania, now basically nativized.

How did that happen?
The Treaty of West Richmond (Otl Portland, and the name was still decided by a coin flip like otl) decided both the alliance between the 3 major powers of NA (4 before Canada made it's third way and took Aleyska) and the split of Oregon.

Some Khan is really into volcanoes? :biggrin:

I'd agree it's quite implausible: if a Khan just decided to conquer the place for shits and giggles, there's hardly going to be enough of an indigenous population to stop him, but given the very likely Morocco-independent western European naval alliance against the Khan (which is going to be highly opposed to the Khan's navy establishing any friendly harbors west of Former France), holding it would be impossible.

Hey, I'm not trying to roast your map. It's good. You said you weren't going for realism, and really, apart from 2 or 3 places, its all possible so what I was trying to say is that it's not super ASB, not poke fun at the ASB elements.

26.png

Major WIP. Basic summary is that the USA and French swap history, with the French revolution happening first and being much more ... peaceful, while the American Revolution is violent and chaotic and leads to a civil war between Federalists and Confederalists, a Napoleon figure conquering most of colonised North America and invading New Granada, and a split USA with UK being expelled from Canada except for Newfoundland.
Later on, the Federalist portion of the USA suffers thru constant political instability, going from Revolutionary Republic to Empire to Constitutional Monarchy to Presidential Republic to Empire to Republic to Parliamentary Democracy to Presidential Republic while also having a major rural urban divide and left wing right wing divide, while France remains a politically stable shiny beacon of democracy.

Notable Events post 1900:

Russo-Japanese War: 1911-1915:
Occurring concurrently with the Great War, Japan fought Russia over Manchuria and Korea. Russia fell to communism in 1915, signalling their end of hostilities, and Japan’s triumph.

Great War 1913-1919: German Reich, UK, Austria, Bulgaria vs France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Russia, Serbia, Romania. Inconclusive result, Civil War in Russia results in Communism, Civil War in Germany results in Authoritarian state. Border changes in colonies, collapse of Austria, Formation of Jugoslavia.

Fall of the Ottomans: 1926:
Invaded by Egypt, Hashemites, and Greeks causes the end of the Ottomans. French intervention secures north Levant coast, Hashemites take Hejaz, Transjordan, and Iraq, while Egypt snatches Palestine.

Rise of communism. Jugoslavia goes communist, Bulgaria joins.

1934: Markets crash
1956-1959: Saarland War:
Germany invades to try and take Alsace, quick gains are rapidly defeated, until a stalemate happened. A final offensive by the French resulted in the occupation of the Saarland.

1962-1985: Decolonisation of Africa

1994-1997 Quebec Crisis: Quebec declares independence, Quebec National Guard refuses to stop it, US army invades, gridlock almost causes coup, Quebec goes free.

1995: Norwegian Revolution:
Norway declares independence from Sweden with secret French support. Sweden tries a harsh counter revolution campaign to bring them back.

1992-2002: Jugoslav Wars, Jugoslavia collapses. Wars rage in Kosovo, Bosnia, Macedonia, and the Krajina over ethnic tensions and borders.

Last edited:
Hey guys this is my first map here outside of a test thread. It's a no-islam timeline which sees in general a stronger east Mediterranean with the premier superpower of the world being Egypt, also there's a strong Java centered state which used to dominate the entire Indian Ocean. Also also I don't have any ideas for what to do with the Americas so I'm all ears to any ideas and criticisms!!!

RgGR.png