WIP Map Thread

Just makin' a basemap for any Calicentric scenarios I wanna do in the future.

unknown.png

First time making an Inkscape map in long time. Here I'm making an alternate "independent Texas" but it's a part of my world building thing and it really isn't Texas as we know it as it's mostly meant to be a Spanish speaking country. I've had the idea of the borders for a while but I seem to have an irrational fear of arbitrary straight lines and I'm just following the rivers.

Any suggestions on how to make the borders look a bit better?
Alt Texas WIP.png

Gone further along with alt-Texas here, adding a few rivers and color into it. I can continue to add more if necessary. My main concern is coming up with city names.

For me at least, I always seem to have trouble coming up with names for the cities in AH maps, and the fact that in this case all the names would be in Spanish, I don't know exactly what to do with it. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Alt Texas WIP.png

KapiTod

Banned
unknown.png

Have I posted any of this before?

It's my attempts to make a more "realistic" Westeros. Basically do some justice to this continent sized land mass rather than "What if Medieval England but big?"

The Reach- Medieval France, particularly under the Capets. Due to its massive population and adherence to very outdated inheritance laws the Reach is the most fractured realm in all of the Seven Kingdoms.

The Stormlands- Norman England. A very militaristic society with everything from the wars of the First Men, to the Andal Invasion, to wars with the Dornish and their conquests of the Riverlands are celebrated here. Skirmishes and drawn out feuds between the lords of the Stormlands and their neighbours are very common, so the Lords of Storms End tend to encourage enlistment in the Royal army or mercenary work overseas. Stormlords are common among the adventurous nobles who will venture north to the wall to participate in raids on the Wildlings (yeah, the Nights Watch isn't just criminals anymore)

The Westerlands- the Malian Empire. Who else has that much gold? A highly centralised realm established after the Andal invasion, with the literate Septons helping the Lannisters to dominate trade right under the Casterly's noses and then establish a system of provinces which superseded their vassals traditional feudal lands. Light red are still traditionally run lands, the darkest red is Lannister held and the middle shade are these provinces.

I've ideas for most of the rest of the realms, but shout out and if I like it I might include it!

Also yes the Iron Islanders are bigger because realism.

unknown.png

It's my attempts to make a more "realistic" Westeros. Basically do some justice to this continent sized land mass rather than "What if Medieval England but big?"

The Reach- Medieval France, particularly under the Capets. Due to its massive population and adherence to very outdated inheritance laws the Reach is the most fractured realm in all of the Seven Kingdoms.

The Stormlands- Norman England. A very militaristic society with everything from the wars of the First Men, to the Andal Invasion, to wars with the Dornish and their conquests of the Riverlands are celebrated here. Skirmishes and drawn out feuds between the lords of the Stormlands and their neighbours are very common, so the Lords of Storms End tend to encourage enlistment in the Royal army or mercenary work overseas. Stormlords are common among the adventurous nobles who will venture north to the wall to participate in raids on the Wildlings (yeah, the Nights Watch isn't just criminals anymore)

The Westerlands- the Malian Empire. Who else has that much gold? A highly centralised realm established after the Andal invasion, with the literate Septons helping the Lannisters to dominate trade right under the Casterly's noses and then establish a system of provinces which superseded their vassals traditional feudal lands. Light red are still traditionally run lands, the darkest red is Lannister held and the middle shade are these provinces.

I've ideas for most of the rest of the realms, but shout out and if I like it I might include it!

whats essos like?

unknown.png

The Vale - a cross between the Tibetan Empire and 15th century England?

And the North is obviously Russia; a vast land full of semi-vassalized peoples that is constantly running into trouble with semi-nomadic peoples.

Some ideas I have:
  • Dorne as a rough equivalent to Andalusia, with it being a beacon of religious and cultural diversity; the Faith of the Seven is still dominant in much of Dorne (especially among the Salt Dornish), however the worship of Mother Rhoyne and the traditional Rhoynar pantheon is also much more common among the Rhoynar, who form the ruling classes of Dornish society. There could also be a sizeable R'hllor population, as well as possibly some communities of other religions from the Free Cities.
  • The Vale as a rough equivalent to the Old Swiss Confederacy, being a confederation of various smaller realms. Maybe throw in some Renaissance Italian influence as well, with some republics being influential members of the confederation.
  • The North as an equivalent to the Baltics, specifically the religious conflicts of the era. Have some more conflict between the worshippers of the Old Gods and the Faith of the Seven (though not necessarily always at holy war with one another; just have them be further apart than they are in ASOIAF), with the North specifically being an equivalent to Lithuania that has slowly been undergoing the process of converting to the Seven. The Starks mostly still worship the Old Gods, as do many of the more important lords, however there are also many lords and even members of the Stark family who have embraced the Seven.
  • This isn't really about the realms, however I'd also make some changes to the Faith of the Seven. Rather than just being a caricature of the Catholic Church's negative aspects, have them also provide many of the roles the Church did in the OTL Middle Ages, such as having septons perform charity work for the common people or preserve ancient knowledge like that of Old Valyria. For the latter point, I'd merge the positions of Maester and Septon, with the Faith being responsible for much of Westerosi academia as the Church was for medieval European academia.
  • On a related note, I'd also change some things about many of the other religions. The Old Gods, for example, should have a lot more legends of the religious sort; there are plenty of legends in the North, of course, but most are of a mostly secular nature. While I'd keep the general structure of the faith with a large pantheon of nameless gods, I'd add at least a few somewhat divine heroes and possibly even a few important gods. Maybe have the priests of the Old Gods and the godswoods provide some sort of service to the Northmen as well; what I'm mostly getting at is reasons to prevent the North from simply converting to the Faith of the Seven en masse. Similarly, the Drowned God should be a bit less one note, as well as the Iron Islands themselves; Reaving should be much more equivalent to going Viking among the Norse, in that it's important to Ironborn culture, but it isn't the only thing they do. Trade and settlement should also be aspects of Ironborn culture; indeed, there should be some areas of Ironborn culture on the mainland, primarily in the Riverlands, with some Ironborn lords still ruling.

Some ideas I have:
  • Dorne as a rough equivalent to Andalusia, with it being a beacon of religious and cultural diversity; the Faith of the Seven is still dominant in much of Dorne (especially among the Salt Dornish), however the worship of Mother Rhoyne and the traditional Rhoynar pantheon is also much more common among the Rhoynar, who form the ruling classes of Dornish society. There could also be a sizeable R'hllor population, as well as possibly some communities of other religions from the Free Cities.
  • The Vale as a rough equivalent to the Old Swiss Confederacy, being a confederation of various smaller realms. Maybe throw in some Renaissance Italian influence as well, with some republics being influential members of the confederation.
  • The North as an equivalent to the Baltics, specifically the religious conflicts of the era. Have some more conflict between the worshippers of the Old Gods and the Faith of the Seven (though not necessarily always at holy war with one another; just have them be further apart than they are in ASOIAF), with the North specifically being an equivalent to Lithuania that has slowly been undergoing the process of converting to the Seven. The Starks mostly still worship the Old Gods, as do many of the more important lords, however there are also many lords and even members of the Stark family who have embraced the Seven.
how about the equivalent to Russia and Scandinavia? also how about the equivalent for the Christian Iberia states?

how about the equivalent to Russia and Scandinavia? also how about the equivalent for the Christian Iberia states?
Scandinavia would probably be the Iron Islands, what with how they already have the whole Viking thing going for them. Russia can probably be rolled into the North somehow as well as the Baltics.

One thing I would recommend for Westeros is to have greater diversity of languages than what's mentioned in the books. Westeros alone should have a few dozen languages, grouped into several families, and Essos many more.