WIP Map Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by B-29_Bomber, Jun 1, 2017.

1. merkmuds Singularitarian/Transhumanist

2. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

The rocky texture is just where I jumbled out the source map image.

I'm drawing in forests (green), uplands (brown), ice (off-white), and rivers (blue), as shown on the original map. I'm undecided on whether to draw the Red Sea as red (probably not; it was an artistic convention rather than a sincere attempt to reflect a geographical fact on the ground).

3. Admiral A. Kolchak Russian Hacker

Is that a 20th century Rhomaion I spy?

4. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Posting progress images helps keep me on task. This one is moving a bit slower than the last, because I'm trying to capture more of the terrain information that the original artist placed in the map.

Behaim Erdapfel 1492 160 k7a wip.jpg

5. Xianfeng Emperor Likes Ireland, food and Aisin Gioros

21st Century. But for the question itself, it depends if you see the Kayseri-i-Rum as the one and only successor to the legacy of Rome.

Which they of course are.

Please no kill.

Admiral A. Kolchak likes this.
  6. HowAboutThisForAName Tasmanian Nationalist

A collection of WIPs that have been sitting on my computer for a long time now; some are far closer to completion than others, and yet some are more fleshed out. I'll give a brief overview of each of them but feel free to ask questions, it might spur me to finish them.

Ich Bin Amerikaner - Mexico's 1842 offer to Prussia of California is accepted, and a large enough number of Prussian and other German settlers that would've otherwised settled in the US instead stream into Kalifornien, enough to establish a sustainable population. Later, it is incorporated into the US as a semi-autonomous republic or maybe a constitutional monarchy.

And Do The Flip - More a scenario than a POD, in which India is Europe and Europe is India. Persia is more or less Russia. Europe is a cobbled together federation of former Indian colonies that is quite impoverished but quickly industrializing. It would include such things as a China-esque empire centered on the Baltic and Afro-American settler colonies.

Magyar Italy - Another scenario with a POD around 900 AD, in which either the Slavs of Great Moravia or the Byzantines invite the Magyars into northern Italy to supplant the Lombards. Other fun stuff includes mega-Moravia, a fascist-lite Grecian Empire, a big ol' cross Strait Kingdom of Burgundy and an oversized Norway.

On Gilded Shores - A redo of a much older map of mine that was simply terrible. Includes such things as a much tighter British Empire, an enduring Franco-American alliance and a big ass Russia. Needs a lot of work despite it's apparent polish.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - A cover of the novel of the same name, based about a decade after the events of the book. I really liked it. I'm thinking of making the map more interesting by supposing some insurrections in China and North America, and perhaps a proxy war in Arabia between Panafrica and Mitteleuropa.

Ich Bin Amerikaner.png

Indo-European flip.png

Magyar Italy.png

On Gilded Shores - Copy.png

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Copy.png

Crying, CtrlAltHistory, JALC and 5 others like this.
  7. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Today's progress. I decided to colour the Red Sea as the source image coloured it.

Behaim Erdapfel 1492 160 k7a wip 2.jpg

8. CannedTech Crown Crushin’ Donor

Looks great, but it seems the image got run through the artifact thresher.

9. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

With a wip image, I tend to save as jpeg (it's basically a throwaway file rather than something that needs precision), and I greek out the area of the source image that has not yet been worked over.

CannedTech likes this.
  10. CannedTech Crown Crushin’ Donor

Ah gotcha, that’s fair. I just have a knee jerk reaction to jpegs, so my apologies.

11. Tyche Where is Alioth?

Actual cultural groups are in roughly the same places still? Of course some things change but generally this is still the case? Or are the East Slavs really in OTL Iran for instance?

12. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Proving to myself that I can keep on-task. Behaim clearly thought the Nile was smaller than it is in real life.

Behaim Erdapfel 1492 160 k7a wip 3.jpg

13. Admiral A. Kolchak Russian Hacker

And why are there so many islands in the Pacific? Is that thing Japan?

14. Flashman A Real Go-Getter

Cipangu, actually

Admiral A. Kolchak likes this.
  15. Baconheimer Berserker of Chaos

Former Confederate Republic of Virginia (FCROV)
    A ridiculous map I work on for fun. A Texas and Russia wank. Including the Kingdoms of Westphalia, Anhalt, Prussia, Greater Holland, Bohemia, and permanently-leased Russian Hamburg.

texaswank.png

16. Ashtagon Very Well-Known Member

Today's wip update. Possibly the last one before the final work is posted.

Behaim Erdapfel 1492 160 k7a wip 4.png

Klime, Miner, Kikkomaan and 4 others like this.
  17. KitFisto1997 #FreeDanukula

Free City of Gladstone, Capricornia. Australia.
    [​IMG]

BobKatterMeme.png

HUZZAH! PROGRESS IS BEING MADE!

Damian0358, AltFuture, Miner and 3 others like this.
  18. ST15RM Mask of Nyarlathotep

I'm assuming the flag will be this?
    [​IMG]
    credit goes to Edward Cattoni

19. KitFisto1997 #FreeDanukula

Free City of Gladstone, Capricornia. Australia.
    I'll make my own flag.

20. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman Donor

A real-world analog of Westeros at the start of A Song of Ice and Fire. In the future, I plan to add analogs for the rest of Martin's world.

[​IMG]

Imperator Frank and Miner like this.