WIP Map Thread

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
I'm not trying to hide. I'm trying to follow the rules
Well, here is the problem. YOU asked me to determine if you had violated policy. I require additional information about what the post in question meant.

So, as I have asked, please do expand.

Deleted member 105545

Well, here is the problem. YOU asked me to determine if you had violated policy. I require additional information about what the post in question meant.

So, as I have asked, please do expand.
Fine. I don't think the C.S.A was evil. That's all.

Gian

Banned
bGcod7m.png

So any comments regarding my map?

bGcod7m.png

So any comments regarding my map?
What's the PoD for this scenario?
If it's supposed to be a resurgent ERE after defeating the arabs at Yarmouk (which is the only way i can see them holding on to Egypt), then that vassal state in the Danube could become the bulgar heartland instead of a balkan Romance-speaking country.

CannedTech

Banned
Is Wallachia the best name for that country?

What's the PoD for this scenario?
If it's supposed to be a resurgent ERE after defeating the arabs at Yarmouk (which is the only way i can see them holding on to Egypt), then that vassal state in the Danube could become the bulgar heartland instead of a balkan Romance-speaking country.

If I were to hazard a guess, this looks like Christianized Ottoman Turks, as the filename says Osmanid ERE. I assume the Ottomans took over the remains of the Byzantines but ended up Christianizing and recreating the ERE.

Gian

Banned
If I were to hazard a guess, this looks like Christianized Ottoman Turks, as the filename says Osmanid ERE. I assume the Ottomans took over the remains of the Byzantines but ended up Christianizing and recreating the ERE.

Sorta. They just Christianized before they started sweeping aside the Paialogians.

vVYnf9o.png

I've finally finished tracing the coastlines. Now it's time for drawing counties, labeling cities, and the coordinate system. Also I'm glad that I decided against showing minor rivers on this thing.

Anyone guess what this is :biggrin:?
EDIT UPDATED MAP
SCP Sarkite Rising.png

Also, how can i improve the map, such as borders, subdivisions, and colours? I wan't to get rid of all the kinks before i move forward. This map is set in the 1910s

Last edited:

CannedTech

Banned
Anyone guess what this is :biggrin:?
View attachment 372106

Also, how can i improve the map, such as borders, subdivisions, and colours? I wan't to get rid of all the kinks before i move forward.

SARKITES YES! Or is it the Daeva coming back? Those are clearly Sarkic symbols but I do remember the Daevites having preternatural time traveling abilities too.

Edit: just saw the filename, that also makes sense and is awesome. I'm assuming given their history that the Sarkites won't take kindly to a Daevite resurgence.

SARKITES YES! Or is it the Daeva coming back? Those are clearly Sarkic symbols but I do remember the Daevites having preternatural time traveling abilities too.

Edit: just saw the filename, that also makes sense and is awesome. I'm assuming given their history that the Sarkites won't take kindly to a Daevite resurgence.
Aren't the Daevites related to Sarkicism? :eek: Might have got my Lore confused here.

Also, how can i improve the map, such as borders, subdivisions, and colours? I wan't to get rid of all the kinks before i move forward.

You can start by modifying those African borders. See Canada for example, the borders in the subdivisions of Canada are curved according to the map, something that, while not as obvious in Africa, still has to be taken into account, even if it makes the map just slightly different. Another thing is that those borders are mechanical, straight. You need borders more focused on natural barries, limits and points of reference such as rivers or mountain ranges, the first colonies were determined by those after all. Whatever the case, don't worry about being too logical in your designs in Africa as the process of colonization was a chaotic one and you can't expect that to be rational. If you want to create something orginal, try drawing the borders according to what I said but do so in a map that is reflected and rotated so you can throw your brain's stereotypes out of the window without much effort. Try doing so from a map close to your PoD so the colonies can grow from what they were. Also, as a general rule for borders, if you have two countries sharing a border and you want both to have some territory, trace your overlapping fronts in different colours and putting the final one in between them with some randomness thrown in. Remember that not all borders are logical, either completely or partially.

Also, depending on your PoD, that Raj maight be too convergent. Again, try what I said and see if your like the result.

CannedTech

Banned
Aren't the Daevites related to Sarkicism? :eek: Might have got my Lore confused here.

They are, but Ion and his crew revolted against the Daevites, and their subsequent Sarkite empire was further defeated by the ancient alliance that the Mekhanites brought together. The Daevites on the other hand retreated into the uhh... stuff, whatever they did, and created that book to come back some day. They were powerful reality bending wizards, but not Sarkites.

You can start by modifying those African borders. See Canada for example, the borders in the subdivisions of Canada are curved according to the map, something that, while not as obvious in Africa, still has to be taken into account, even if it makes the map just slightly different. Another thing is that those borders are mechanical, straight. You need borders more focused on natural barries, limits and points of reference such as rivers or mountain ranges, the first colonies were determined by those after all. Whatever the case, don't worry about being too logical in your designs in Africa as the process of colonization was a chaotic one and you can't expect that to be rational. If you want to create something orginal, try drawing the borders according to what I said but do so in a map that is reflected and rotated so you can throw your brain's stereotypes out of the window without much effort. Try doing so from a map close to your PoD so the colonies can grow from what they were. Also, as a general rule for borders, if you have two countries sharing a border and you want both to have some territory, trace your overlapping fronts in different colours and putting the final one in between them with some randomness thrown in. Remember that not all borders are logical, either completely or partially.

Also, depending on your PoD, that Raj maight be too convergent. Again, try what I said and see if your like the result.
Thanks for the advice, implementing it now using a topographic map :biggrin:.
They are, but Ion and his crew revolted against the Daevites, and their subsequent Sarkite empire was further defeated by the ancient alliance that the Mekhanites brought together. The Daevites on the other hand retreated into the uhh... stuff, whatever they did, and created that book to come back some day. They were powerful reality bending wizards, but not Sarkites.
Huh, i thought the Grand Ion adopted and modified the Daevite religion. Any idea what i should do with the Symbols?

CannedTech

Banned
Thanks for the advice, implementing it now using a topographic map :biggrin:.

Huh, i thought the Grand Ion adopted and modified the Daevite religion. Any idea what i should do with the Symbols?

I think it was fully supplanted, the Sarkites had a pretty visceral hatred for the Daevites IIRC. I dunno, they're pretty bitchin though. Maybe if you don't go for Sarkites this time save them for later.