WIP Map Thread

upload_2018-2-7_14-18-31.png

le preview

Mobiyuz

Banned
I fucked up.

I would like to apologize for what I have done. Taking a second look at the map and some of my comments, there is indeed quite a bit of racial stereotyping, and I’ve spouted bigotry and intolerance of others. I will not deny that. I’ve already deleted the map altogether, and it’s now in the Recycle Bin. I will also not be doing any sort of map like this whatsoever. Seeing all of the ANTIFA rallies and what occurred at some of them and whatnot, it just got to me.
I hope that this thread can no longer veer into politics, and get back to normal. I offset that. I’m sorry.
Please forgive me.
It's a lot easier to not get banned if you don't provoke.

More progress...

Fun fact: Mercator set his zero meridian on Corvus Island in the Azores, which he believed to be 23° west from London. It's actually 31° west.

My projection set to be centred on a point 10° east from London. Now visible: a portion of terra australis.

Does anyone know a good way to re-project the polar region? As seen in the segment I uploaded, the paintshop pro tool for converting polar to cartesian coordinates isn't too great.

https://ashtagon.deviantart.com/art/Mercator-1569-k7e-crop-729503372

mercator_1569_k7e_crop_by_ashtagon-dc2bsek.png

Isaac Beach

Banned
Just a little stupid idea I got after hearing the parody song 'I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester' about Britain becoming a European PRC. An initially agrarian and famine-ridden communist hole before rapidly industrializing and liberalizing while keeping a facade of communism. I imagine France also fell to communism but got curb stomped in an alt-WWII, with Britain not falling due to either dropping an atom bomb on the Channel or coming to a ceasefire for more mundane reasons.
There's an EU/Mitteleuropa sort of organization which Germany has traditionally dominated but which is being challenged by Italy (who might have also been communist but possibly fascist, I'm juggling ideas) and increasingly a much bigger and more populous Ukraine and their Black Sea bloc. France is in a loose association, ditto for Scandinavia and Turkey(?), but is not keen on being further dominated by Berlin.
Turkey's much more Europeanised and I'm debating whether they'd be a part of Mitteleuropa or not, but in any event they exercise a great deal of influence over Bosnia, Albania and a few micro-emirates that broke off of a battered Serbia, as well as a few Middle Eastern states. Russia was an agrarian fascist regime but have since mellowed into a pleasantly corrupt unitary state and Mitteleuropa is debating inviting them in. Ukraine is surprisingly pro-Russia as it would counteract the Berlin-Ankara axis and their 200 million people and subsequent voting bloc.
Oh and the Shetlands belong to Australia, residency of the exiled Windsors.

Moar Rivers.png

Just a little stupid idea I got after hearing the parody song 'I've Got A Brand New Combine Harvester' about Britain becoming a European PRC. An initially agrarian and famine-ridden communist hole before rapidly industrializing and liberalizing while keeping a facade of communism. I imagine France also fell to communism but got curb stomped in an alt-WWII, with Britain not falling due to either dropping an atom bomb on the Channel or coming to a ceasefire for more mundane reasons.
There's an EU/Mitteleuropa sort of organization which Germany has traditionally dominated but which is being challenged by Italy (who might have also been communist but possibly fascist, I'm juggling ideas) and increasingly a much bigger and more populous Ukraine and their Black Sea bloc. France is in a loose association, ditto for Scandinavia and Turkey(?), but is not keen on being further dominated by Berlin.
Turkey's much more Europeanised and I'm debating whether they'd be a part of Mitteleuropa or not, but in any event they exercise a great deal of influence over Bosnia, Albania and a few micro-emirates that broke off of a battered Serbia, as well as a few Middle Eastern states. Russia was an agrarian fascist regime but have since mellowed into a pleasantly corrupt unitary state and Mitteleuropa is debating inviting them in. Ukraine is surprisingly pro-Russia as it would counteract the Berlin-Ankara axis and their 200 million people and subsequent voting bloc.
Oh and the Shetlands belong to Australia, residency of the exiled Windsors.

View attachment 369364

Britain somehow sorta fit the idea of a stereotypically Maoist/Agrarian Communist nation quite well... It just has that sorta vibe, for some reason.

It gives the term 'Green and Pleasant Land' a whole new meaning.

morocco wip.png

A W.I.P. map of the Kingdom of Morocco in a timeline I'm working on. It might look done, but I'm trying to incorporate a (most likely worlda) map of railways in this Morocco. This is, in all honesty, easier said than done but I'll half-ass my way through somehow!

THE KINGDOM OF MOROCCO
The Kingdom of Morocco was, like several other African nations, a nation that thrived in the habitat of the European uninterest in Africa and their lax colonial policy thereafter. Even after the Conference of Oldenburg, European nations scarcely touched the larger African nations (which is why nations such as Abyssinia and Egypt also thrived into the modern era), and it was this uncaring that allowed Morocco to nurture herself into an era of modernization. This timespan, known as the Age of New-Europe, was brought in mainly under the reign of Sultan Hassan I, who, while following his father's footsteps, began much more in his reign; from railway to zeppelins to military, Hassan I was in rule during it all. Indeed, his reforms brought the modern world into Morocco. What would Morocco be like without him? Would zeppelins fly in the Fasi skies as they do today? Would a young Berber man be able to travel from Marrakesh to Casablanca on the Hassan Railways? Such a fate is unknown in this world we inhabit.

Britain somehow sorta fit the idea of a stereotypically Maoist/Agrarian Communist nation quite well... It just has that sorta vibe, for some reason.

It gives the term 'Green and Pleasant Land' a whole new meaning.
Bill Bryson wrote that Britain would be perfect as a Communist state because the British have the perfect attitude for it already (willing to wait in long lines, a tolerance for gray and drab architecture, a kind of quiet snarking about authority without actually challenging it, etc).

lolololololo.png

Cyan: 'Holy Places', places with extremely high numinous presence. Host to multiple supernatural events of historical significance, numinous presence easily perceptible even to laymen. Terrain has magical features and supernatural beigns are very common. Often mayor cities, temples or sites of great numinous, social, political and economic significance.
Red: High numinous presence. Supernatural events happen often, numinous presence easy to percieve. Terrain has clearly supernatural features, native life is often lush and full of vitality, supernatural beigns share the ecosystem with them. Often home to high density populations near holy places, but also found in unspoilt nature. Many places with lower numinosity have Red 'spikes' in particular locations.
Orange: Medium numinous presence, sometimes subdued but present. Supernatural events are common. Terrain is natural with some supernatural landmarks. Native life is common, supernatural creatures are less prominent. Most of the world population lives in Orange zones.
Yellow: Low numinous presence, hard to percieve. Supernatural events are lower than average. The terrain is natural, with few landmarks attributable to supernatural activity. Most life is native, with only few supernatural beings, often individuals without stable populations. These areas are prized for farming and other activities that require a more stable enviroment.
Green: Very Low numinous presence, very hard to identify. Supernatural events are very rare. The terrain is often dull and featureless. Native life is less diverse, supernatural beigns are very rare. While some 'natural' Green areas exist, most are the result of 'taming' places for agriculture and civilization; in particular monocultures and major industries.
Purple: No Numinous presence. Supernatural events fail or are catastrophic. People and beings sensitive to numinosity feel their energy drained and have health risks. The terrain is often barren in an unnatural way. Life, both native and supernatural, is either mostly absent or lives a miserable existance. While there are a few 'natural' Purple zones, most are the result of terrible magical experiments, industrial explotation or large-scale tragedies.

Last edited: